Author Topic: Sea/Land Launch schedule  (Read 293672 times)

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4671
  • Likes Given: 768
Re: Sea/Land Launch schedule
« Reply #320 on: 06/09/2014 11:34 pm »
Someone better make sure all the bills are paid in Full before leaving Port. ;)

Boeing you listing?
Doesn't Boeing makes the fairing and abstract the vehicle interface so it has no ITAR issues? Don't they use TDRS for range, and thus depend on being an US company?
I guess they could adapt the Land Launch fairing, and switch to Lutch, but I believe the Lutch data hole is exactly on the easter Pacific.
your are correct in all points.

Offline Prober

• Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
  • Liked: 721
  • Likes Given: 729
« Reply #321 on: 06/10/2014 02:44 pm »
Someone better make sure all the bills are paid in Full before leaving Port. ;)

Boeing you listing?
Doesn't Boeing makes the fairing and abstract the vehicle interface so it has no ITAR issues? Don't they use TDRS for range, and thus depend on being an US company?
I guess they could adapt the Land Launch fairing, and switch to Lutch, but I believe the Lutch data hole is exactly on the easter Pacific.

Yes TDRS was listed in the manual L2
2017 - Everything Old is New Again.
"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant..." --Isoroku Yamamoto

Offline Phosphorus

• Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #322 on: 06/20/2014 01:00 pm »
Sea Launch platform moves from California to the Crimea?

http://izvestia.ru/news/572053

What would be the point in basing the Sea Launch platform at the Crimea? The Russian far east coast makes much more sense, as the platform has to travel to the equator for launch..
Not to mention it risks murdering the whole thing outright from a legal point of view.
Ceterum autem censeo Moscoviae esse delendam

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4671
  • Likes Given: 768
« Reply #323 on: 06/20/2014 02:50 pm »

What would be the point in basing the Sea Launch platform at the Crimea? The Russian far east coast makes much more sense, as the platform has to travel to the equator for launch..
Not to mention it risks murdering the whole thing outright from a legal point of view.
Anatoly Zak has an interesting view on this as Russia in the past has said that by having it based out of Russian Territory closer to the factory they could increase launch rate and thus shift some Russian sats to it. It is also been mentioned that the major upgrades underway/in works for entire launcher are in part to reduce heavy reliance on Proton-M and Angara by providing a form of redundancy.

Online Salo

• Odessa, Ukraine
  • Liked: 4225
  • Likes Given: 3522
« Reply #324 on: 06/21/2014 06:27 am »

South America east coast more sense than Pacific.

Offline baldusi

• Buenos Aires, Argentina
  • Liked: 2539
  • Likes Given: 8273
« Reply #325 on: 06/21/2014 12:54 pm »

South America east coast more sense than Pacific.
Are you implying Cuba or Venezuela? AIUI, Brazil wasn't willing to make the sort of diplomatic immunity concessions that either Americans nor Russians asked for Alcantara.

Online Salo

• Odessa, Ukraine
  • Liked: 4225
  • Likes Given: 3522
« Reply #326 on: 06/25/2014 08:42 pm »
http://msdb.gsfc.nasa.gov/change_log.php
2014-06-25   Sea Launch/EchoStar-n   Deleted; canceled.   GSFC ELV MCE Chris Schwartz 6/24/2014.          
2014-06-25   Sea Launch/AngolaSat and Energia 100   Deleted; canceled.   GSFC ELV MCE Chris Schwartz 6/24/2014.
« Last Edit: 06/25/2014 08:43 pm by Salo »

Offline Phosphorus

« Reply #327 on: 06/26/2014 10:38 pm »

Anatoly Zak has an interesting view on this as Russia in the past has said that by having it based out of Russian Territory closer to the factory they could increase launch rate and thus shift some Russian sats to it. It is also been mentioned that the major upgrades underway/in works for entire launcher are in part to reduce heavy reliance on Proton-M and Angara by providing a form of redundancy.
Well, whatever the view Zak has, it's safe to say that barring an outright Russian invasion of the rest of Ukraine, I don't see a legal basis for Yuzhmash/Yuzhnoe to deliver a Zenit to a Russian company in Crimea. They will either need some kind of waiver, or will be criminally liable for a breach of Ukrainian law "On occupied territories".
So, whoever pushes this "relocation to Crimea" thing is in reality looking to murder the program.

Offline Phosphorus

« Reply #328 on: 06/26/2014 10:53 pm »
http://msdb.gsfc.nasa.gov/change_log.php
2014-06-25   Sea Launch/EchoStar-n   Deleted; canceled.   GSFC ELV MCE Chris Schwartz 6/24/2014.          
2014-06-25   Sea Launch/AngolaSat and Energia 100   Deleted; canceled.   GSFC ELV MCE Chris Schwartz 6/24/2014.
Oh no. So that's it -- not a single pending launch as of now?

Offline edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
  • Liked: 8565
  • Likes Given: 1356
« Reply #329 on: 06/27/2014 02:41 am »

Offline Targeteer

• near hangar 18
  • Liked: 3363
  • Likes Given: 1138
« Reply #330 on: 07/11/2014 04:58 pm »
http://en.itar-tass.com/non-political/740080

Russian government plans Sea Launch project development
Best quote heard during an inspection, "I was unaware that I was the only one who was aware."

Offline Targeteer

• near hangar 18
  • Liked: 3363
  • Likes Given: 1138
« Reply #331 on: 08/22/2014 08:28 pm »
http://www.sea-launch.com/news/11415

Sea Launch Takes Proactive Steps to Address Manifest Gap

NYON, Switzerland, August 22, 2014 – Sea Launch announced today a series of cost-reduction measures designed to address an upcoming gap in the launch manifest of the Zenit-3SL system.  According to plan, it is expected that Sea Launch will resume and start stepping-up its launch activity during mid-2015/mid-2016 time frame.

The measures include staff reductions at Sea Launch’s headquarters in Nyon, Switzerland and its prime contractor, Energia Logistics, Ltd., located in Long Beach, California, as well as a reduction of operating expenses associated with laying-up the Sea Launch Commander and Odyssey vessels.  Taking these vessels out of service temporarily during inactive periods has been performed by Sea Launch previously and is common practice in the marine industry.

Sea Launch will be using this time to improve certain operational efficiencies, upgrade its launch and support systems including evaluating shore-based power for the vessels while in port and finalize internal trade studies relative to available vehicle configuration changes.

Serguei Gugkaev, CEO of Sea Launch stated “In light of this gap in our launch manifest, Sea Launch is taking the opportunity to pursue all prudent business solutions to realize significant cost savings in labor, maintenance and fuel while maintaining the capability to call-up the vessels as needed. Sea Launch continues to aggressively market all available launch opportunities beginning in mid-2015 and will maintain a short launch call-up readiness state.  While any reduction in staff is regrettable, Sea Launch will retain key personnel across all corporate and technical functions, allowing the company to ramp-up to meet its next launch commitment”.

Best quote heard during an inspection, "I was unaware that I was the only one who was aware."

Offline kq6ea

• Former Sea Launcher
  • Fort Collins, Colorado
  • Liked: 29
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #332 on: 08/23/2014 12:30 am »
Smoke and mirrors.......

Offline input~2

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1540
  • Likes Given: 567
« Reply #333 on: 12/25/2014 04:45 pm »
"Research underway into moving Sea Launch project to Brazil — deputy PM"
http://itar-tass.com/en/world/768914

Offline kq6ea

• Former Sea Launcher
  • Fort Collins, Colorado
« Reply #334 on: 12/25/2014 06:37 pm »
That's interesting, as they had talked about this sometime last year, and decided against it.

I was talking to some people the other day, and it was "leaked" that they'd like to sell the operation, but nobody is interested in buying.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens.....
« Last Edit: 12/25/2014 06:37 pm by kq6ea »

Offline Bob Shaw

• Liked: 727
  • Likes Given: 676
« Reply #335 on: 12/25/2014 11:20 pm »
Here are some Sea Launch images which I suspect are new - aerial and ground-level shots of Sea Launch Commander on the ways at the Kvaerner Govan (ex-Fairfields, ex-UCS) shipyard in Glasgow in 1997. Other than those with detailed copyright holders, this selection of pictures are all 'orphan' images, with no obvious owner, but if I discover the source/owner (I'm actively asking) then I'll post here.

Also in the pictures you will see HMS Ocean (more-or-less a baby aircraft carrier for helicopter operations). Sea Launch Commander, at 50,000 tons, is no small vessel. It has a large internal assembly hall, with two high capacity cranes for launcher assembly and a third for payload and upper stage assembly. The interior of the hall contains a standard railway system, allowing cargo to be delivered directly into the working area.

The rather poor pictures which show Sea Launch Commander going down the Clyde were taken by myself on, I believe, her delivery voyage; the stunning night shot on the ways was taken by noted maritime photographer Bill Cullen.

Offline kq6ea

• Former Sea Launcher
  • Fort Collins, Colorado
« Reply #336 on: 12/25/2014 11:41 pm »
Yep, she's a fine ship.

Rides nice even in heavy seas, although we usually went around any extreme weather.

Offline Bob Shaw

« Reply #337 on: 12/25/2014 11:53 pm »
I understand that Sea Launch Commander has an unusual thruster system for attitude control in even heavy weather - rather than edge-mounted thrusters (like the SpaceX barge presumably has, given the few details we have). The SLC thrusters are based on a ventral turret instead, which I think is quite unusual.

Offline kq6ea

• Former Sea Launcher
  • Fort Collins, Colorado
« Reply #338 on: 12/26/2014 12:35 am »
There's two bow thrusters located in the "bulb" on the front of the hull, and a stern thruster that gets lowered down at the launch site. These are used for the Dynamic Positioning System that keeps the ship pretty well pinned down during launch operations.

AFAIK, they stern thruster has to be retracted when the ship is moving at more than a few knots.

Offline Bob Shaw

« Reply #339 on: 12/26/2014 12:47 am »
Ah, I was told everything was done using a single turret - this was from, however, an ex-Kvaerner engineer whose grasp of the detail may have been sloppy! Still, not a 'thruster at each corner' arrangement, even so.
« Last Edit: 12/26/2014 12:47 am by Bob Shaw »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography