Author Topic: CBS News Coverage of the Apollo Flights  (Read 18839 times)

Offline mikeh

• Regular
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
CBS News Coverage of the Apollo Flights
« on: 05/30/2007 01:52 AM »
New to the site and enjoying all the posts especially the discussion on the best launch vehicle ever built and successfully flown, the Saturn V.  Forgive me if this has been covered before but does anyone have a source for CBS News Coverage of the Apollo Flights.  Web searches have turned up nothing of interest.

I have audio tapes of several (no VCR's for consumer use back then) but would like to know who to contact.

I have several of Spacecraft DVD's and love them but want a true time machine travel back.

Thanks!

===========================================
"You can't BS physics".

Don Arabian-Head of MER during Apollo

Online Chris Bergin

RE: CBS News Coverage of the Apollo Flights
« Reply #1 on: 05/30/2007 01:54 AM »
Welcome to the site. I've changed your thread title to help your request (make it more specific than just "videos") :)

Offline dvandorn

• Liked: 1
Re: CBS News Coverage of the Apollo Flights
« Reply #2 on: 05/30/2007 06:36 AM »
Hi, Mike.  If you find anything of CBS Apollo coverage from anywhere beyond this site, please tell us here, because I would also like to get my hands on it, myself.  I watched Uncle Walter nearly exclusively for the early Apollo flights, though by the later flights I was watching whoever begrudged us any coverage at all...

I know that CBS used to keep videotape archives of what they considered "important" news events, and some of the Apollo coverage was included in those archives.  But those archives have never really been made available to the general public.  I also know that the Museum of Broadcast History in Chicago at least used to have some of CBS' Apollo 11 coverage available to view at their location, but 1) they wouldn't let their video archives out of their own door or make copies for people, and 2) I don't know if they even have those tapes anymore, it's been more than a decade since I've lived in Chicago.

I've not found anything on YouTube, either, but I admit I haven't done an exhaustive search there.  So, again, if you find anything and it's not from someone posting in this thread, please, let us know!  Thanks...
-Doug

"The problem isn't that there are too many fools, the problem is that lightning isn't aimed right."  -Mark Twain

Offline mikeh

• Regular
« Reply #3 on: 05/31/2007 11:48 AM »
Hey Doug, and thanks to Chris for helping on the title and the fact that he has this site.

Did a cursory look on Youtube and was not impressed with what was there.  They did have Uncle Walter but it was a clip from his anniversary special and all the other videos were from the "black helicopter" crowd yelling about a moon landing hoax.  Don't need any of that!  LOL

CBS at one time did have an archive of their audio and video but I have heard a rumor that it has been moved to some commercial enterprise that charges outrageous fees and won't return e-mails unless one is a legitimate news organization.  Don't know for sure but would like to find out.

Mike
"You can't BS physics".

Offline rsp1202

• Elite Veteran
  • 3, 2, 1 . . . Make rocket go now
« Reply #4 on: 05/31/2007 07:30 PM »
Apparently true. As I've posted here before, I've long tried to find video of Cronkite's/CBS's coverage of the first Saturn V launch, to no avail. CBS was unresponsive to requests, though they must have it archived. I've heard it was part of the Cronkite retrospective that showed on the network some time ago, but have not seen it.

Offline mikeh

• Regular
« Reply #5 on: 06/02/2007 04:14 PM »
The link to the CBS News Archive is what I found before.  Their archive has apparently has been "transferred" to the BBC.  I sent an inquiry before and did not receive so much as an acknowlegement of my request.  One would think that anyone with cash could gain access to the material.  Thanks for the help.
"You can't BS physics".

Offline APG85

• Regular
« Reply #6 on: 06/24/2007 10:00 PM »
Found this on Youtube.  Don't know if it's what you are looking for...

Scott

Offline rsp1202

• Elite Veteran
« Reply #7 on: 06/25/2007 01:49 PM »
I was referring to first test launch of Saturn V (Apollo 6) in November '67. But this sure brings back memories. Jack King's call sends current NASA announcers back to kindergarden. Even his fluff ("all engine running") is perfect.

Offline Naraht

• Extreme Veteran
« Reply #8 on: 06/25/2007 02:14 PM »
rsp1202 - 25/6/2007  2:49 PM
 Jack King's call sends current NASA announcers back to kindergarden.

He definitely gives a lot more information than announcers today. It is interesting that he mentions all of the relevant test directors and launch conductors by name. These days it is all made so anonymous that a casual listener could be forgiven for thinking that computers handle the whole thing.

Offline edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
  • Liked: 3606
  • Likes Given: 616
« Reply #9 on: 06/26/2007 05:07 PM »
Naraht - 25/6/2007  9:14 AM

He definitely gives a lot more information than announcers today. It is interesting that he mentions all of the relevant test directors and launch conductors by name. These days it is all made so anonymous that a casual listener could be forgiven for thinking that computers handle the whole thing.

All of the old broadcasts put today's to shame.  For example, I recently played a tape of an Atlas Centaur launch from the late 1980s.  It had the fascinating primary control room audio loop up during most of the count, and the NASA announcer was obviously fully versed in the launch vehicle and payload.  Today's webcasts override the control loop with innane scripted public relations presentations.  Even the final count is scripted.  Only the Arianespace presentations come anywhere close to how good it used to be, but even they fall short simply because so much of it is a "sales" presentation.

- Ed Kyle

Offline rsp1202

• Elite Veteran
« Reply #10 on: 06/26/2007 07:17 PM »
My point exactly. The promotional/advertising spiel that NASA announcers use at liftoff and during a shuttle landing-rollout makes me cringe.

Jack King: "...We have liftoff. Liftoff of Apollo 11," is all I want to hear at that moment, thank you very much.

Offline edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
  • Liked: 3606
  • Likes Given: 616
« Reply #11 on: 06/26/2007 08:13 PM »
rsp1202 - 26/6/2007  2:17 PM

My point exactly. The promotional/advertising spiel that NASA announcers use at liftoff and during a shuttle landing-rollout makes me cringe.

Jack King: "...We have liftoff. Liftoff of Apollo 11," is all I want to hear at that moment, thank you very much.

And who did it better than Jack King?  Jack King was titled "NASA Public Affairs/Voice of Apollo Launch Control", but to most he was simply the "Voice of Apollo".  

Here's a photo of Jack during Apollo 12.

http://www.hq.nasa.gov/office/pao/History/alsj/a12/ap12-KSC-369D-540-05.jpg

I read a report that Jack was still working at KSC, for United Space Alliance, as recently as 2006.  Does anyone know if that is true?  He would be in his 70's at least.

- Ed Kyle

Offline psloss

• Veteran armchair spectator
  • Liked: 1046
  • Likes Given: 468
« Reply #12 on: 06/26/2007 09:43 PM »
Naraht - 25/6/2007  10:14 AM

I can't completely disagree with the contrast between now and then, but there have been different commentary styles for a long time -- for example, compare John McLeish's commentary of a Saturn V or shuttle launch to Jack Riley's.  (Or, more recently, Rob Navias' ascent/entry commentary with others.)

Nowadays, I'd rather listen to OIS 212 and the air-to-ground and if anything, I think talking over important air-to-ground calls (or launch team discussion) is worse than silence.  (Of course, it could be said that good PAOs know when to expound and when to listen.)

Also I think it's worth mentioning that things have changed in 30 years of shuttle coverage; for example, we can see the crew inside the crew module while they climb in and strap into their seats.  The "voice of launch control" used to have more time to fill with commentary after the crew members disappeared into the orbiter.

Offline APG85

• Regular
« Reply #13 on: 06/27/2007 11:00 AM »
Apollo 10...

Scott

Offline azman818

« Reply #14 on: 06/28/2007 06:58 PM »
Not necessarily CBS coverage, but here is a montage of videotaped launches of Apollos 11, 15 and 17:

Nearly four decades later, and it never gets old to watch.

Offline mikeh

• Regular
« Reply #15 on: 07/06/2007 12:47 AM »
edkyle99 - 26/6/2007  3:13 PM

rsp1202 - 26/6/2007  2:17 PM

And who did it better than Jack King?  Jack King was titled "NASA Public Affairs/Voice of Apollo Launch Control", but to most he was simply the "Voice of Apollo".  

Here's a photo of Jack during Apollo 12.

http://www.hq.nasa.gov/office/pao/History/alsj/a12/ap12-KSC-369D-540-05.jpg

I read a report that Jack was still working at KSC, for United Space Alliance, as recently as 2006.  Does anyone know if that is true?  He would be in his 70's at least.

- Ed Kyle

Jack King was the "Voice" for Kennedy Launch Control but as such was not the "Voice of Apollo".  That title was used for the PAO officers on console at JSC during the missions.  One of my favorites was Mr. Terry White.  I had a nice telephone visit with him in the early eighties when he personally answered the phone and handled my request for Shuttle material.

Mike
"You can't BS physics".

Offline azman818

« Reply #16 on: 07/09/2007 02:28 PM »
Sure enough, recent days have brought us numerous stories of the $19million toilet they're developing for the ISS.

Offline mkirk

• International Man Of Mystery
  • Florida/Texas
  • Liked: 29
« Reply #17 on: 07/09/2007 06:28 PM »
edkyle99 - 26/6/2007  3:13 PM

- Ed Kyle

Yes he is still there.  Ocasionally I will say high to him when are paths cross in the cafeteria and at the Press Site.

Mark Kirkman
Mark Kirkman

Offline Dana

• Regular
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #18 on: 07/14/2007 12:29 AM »
rsp1202 - 25/6/2007  6:49 AM

I was referring to first test launch of Saturn V (Apollo 6) in November '67. But this sure brings back memories. Jack King's call sends current NASA announcers back to kindergarden. Even his fluff ("all engine running") is perfect.

That was Apollo 4. Apollo 6 was April 4, 1968 (the same day Martin Luther King was shot). In between was Apollo 5, a Saturn IB shot with a LM.
"Don't play dumb with me! You're not as good at it as I am!"-Col. Flagg

"'Second Place' is just the first loser."-Bobby Allison

Offline FogerRox

• Regular
« Reply #19 on: 07/15/2007 09:42 PM »
Apollo 4

Apollo6

Apollo 8

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=apollo+8&search=

Apollo 9

Apollo 11

I saw Apollo 8 circling around the Moon on Christmas eve, with binocs from my Uncles house in Boston. The next night the little dot was no where to be seen.

Wasn't Gene Kranz the one who said "failure is not an option" ?

Tags: