Author Topic: CBS Moon landing coverage openings  (Read 7665 times)

Offline cz77

• Regular
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
CBS Moon landing coverage openings
« on: 03/06/2007 04:45 PM »
Anyone here old enough to remember the original moon landings and the coverage given by CBS?  CBS would open each report with a little sequence that was made specifically for that moon mission.

Offline dvandorn

• Liked: 1
Re: CBS Moon landing coverage openings
« Reply #1 on: 03/06/2007 05:10 PM »
I remember it quite well.  The visual was almost a rip-off of the opening from 2001 -- the Moon bulking large, and the Earth rising above it, with orchestral music and a deep-voiced announcer intoning: "Man on the Moon!  The Epic Journey of Apollo 11."

I saw that so many times, I fell in love with it.  And I was surprised that, in July, 1970, Cronkite put together a one-year annivresary special for the flight and *it* used the same opening.  Alas, that was the last time I ever saw or heard that opening sequence.

If anyone out there knows where it might be found somewhere in the vastness of the Web, drop a note here, will ya?  :)
-Doug

"The problem isn't that there are too many fools, the problem is that lightning isn't aimed right."  -Mark Twain

Offline cz77

• Regular
« Reply #2 on: 03/07/2007 05:15 PM »
And each flight afterwards had its own individual intro.  I remember how sad I was to see the last time one was used at the end of the Apollo 17 flight.

Offline dvandorn

« Reply #3 on: 03/08/2007 02:50 PM »
For Apollo 17, I recall that one network (I believe it was NBC) used the Monkees' song "Last Train to Clarksville" as the music behind their pre-flight promos.  The tag line was "If you miss this one -- you've missed them all!"
-Doug

"The problem isn't that there are too many fools, the problem is that lightning isn't aimed right."  -Mark Twain

Offline wingod

RE: CBS Moon landing coverage openings
« Reply #4 on: 03/09/2007 01:01 AM »
cz77 - 6/3/2007  11:45 AM

Anyone here old enough to remember the original moon landings and the coverage given by CBS?  CBS would open each report with a little sequence that was made specifically for that moon mission.

Sorry but no I refused to watch the confused old man (otherwise known and Chronkite).  I watched the man himself, Jules Bergman!

Only those old enough to know, know what I mean.

Offline wannamoonbase

• Elite Veteran
  • Denver, CO
    • U.S. Metric Association
  • Liked: 539
  • Likes Given: 932
« Reply #5 on: 03/09/2007 01:08 AM »
If Chronkite was the confused old man, what does that make the jokers of today?
Excited to be finally into the first Falcon Heavy flow, we are getting so close!

Offline Gene DiGennaro

• Armchair Astronaut
  • Baltimore, Md
    • Glenn L. Martin Maryland Aviation Museum
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #6 on: 03/09/2007 02:00 AM »
I seem to recall that CBS used a jazzed up electronic version of "Ode to Joy" as one of the Apollo mission themes.  Every time I hear that piece I think of Apollo.

Offline cz77

• Regular
« Reply #7 on: 03/09/2007 04:17 PM »
I preferred Bergman myself as well.  He always seemed to be a bit more in the know.

Offline wingod

« Reply #8 on: 03/09/2007 05:00 PM »
cz77 - 9/3/2007  11:17 AM

I preferred Bergman myself as well.  He always seemed to be a bit more in the know.

Remember Joules with the Torch during Apollo 13?

He was classic.

Does anyone remember the first launch of the Saturn V?  Chronkite wanted his booth as close as possible to the launch site.  He ordered a large glass window behind him for the dramatic effect of the launch.  The NBC and ABC guys had been to Huntsville and knew the power of the Saturn V acoustic shock wave and set theirs up differently.

When the launch happened, and the shockwave hit the CBS booth, the glass popped out of the window from the top and Chronkite had to hold it with his hand and totally lost the moment.

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 9624
  • Likes Given: 299
« Reply #9 on: 03/09/2007 05:11 PM »
cz77 - 9/3/2007  12:17 PM

He was a buffoon.  He talked over PAO during the Apollo 11 ascent.  His misquotes things.  Stumbled over his words.  He thought he knew more than some of his on camera coworkers.  This even carried on thru shuttle.    He would have been better as a color commentator vs an "anchor", just there to answer questions vs host the show.

Offline DMeader

• Liked: 98
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #10 on: 03/09/2007 05:30 PM »
cz77 - 9/3/2007  11:17 AM

I flipped back and forth (on our magnificent B&W TV that only got 5 channels!) between all of them. Caught all of them in the occasional mistake, but they all had their strengths and weaknesses.

wingod - 9/3/2007  1:00 PM

Does anyone remember the first launch of the Saturn V?  Chronkite wanted his booth as close as possible to the launch site.  He ordered a large glass window behind him for the dramatic effect of the launch.  The NBC and ABC guys had been to Huntsville and knew the power of the Saturn V acoustic shock wave and set theirs up differently.

When the launch happened, and the shockwave hit the CBS booth, the glass popped out of the window from the top and Chronkite had to hold it with his hand and totally lost the moment.

Lost the moment? Heck, I'd say that defined the moment....brought the power and majesty of the Saturn V home like none of the others.

Offline mkirk

• International Man Of Mystery
  • Florida/Texas
  • Liked: 29
« Reply #11 on: 03/09/2007 06:33 PM »
dvandorn - 6/3/2007  12:10 PM

I remember it quite well.  The visual was almost a rip-off of the opening from 2001 -- the Moon bulking large, and the Earth rising above it, with orchestral music and a deep-voiced announcer intoning: "Man on the Moon!  The Epic Journey of Apollo 11."

I saw that so many times, I fell in love with it.  And I was surprised that, in July, 1970, Cronkite put together a one-year annivresary special for the flight and *it* used the same opening.  Alas, that was the last time I ever saw or heard that opening sequence.

If anyone out there knows where it might be found somewhere in the vastness of the Web, drop a note here, will ya?  :)

They actually play that clip in the Saturn V Complex of the KSC Visitor's Center.  It is part of an 8 or 9 minute montage of network coverage from 69 that they play in the lobby area for the Lunar Landing Theater.  Many people blow right past it and don’t bother to watch the whole thing not realizing that it is a very interesting part of the experience.  Most of the laughs come from the old commercials and the quotes from people who think that Neil and Buzz are going to bring back some Moon Germs.

The clips of Kranz being interviewed by Jules were pretty interesting.  Jules kept trying to hype the “Dead Man Zone” of the landing trajectory and the limited LM fuel supply…

Mark Kirkman
Mark Kirkman

Offline wingod

« Reply #12 on: 03/12/2007 02:34 PM »
Jim - 9/3/2007  12:11 PM

He was a buffoon.  He talked over PAO during the Apollo 11 ascent.  His misquotes things.  Stumbled over his words.  He thought he knew more than some of his on camera coworkers.  This even carried on thru shuttle.    He would have been better as a color commentator vs an "anchor", just there to answer questions vs host the show.

Oh a response comes to mind, but I am.......trying.......not.......

:)

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 9624
  • Likes Given: 299
« Reply #13 on: 03/12/2007 04:30 PM »
wingod - 12/3/2007  12:34 PM

Oh a response comes to mind, but I am.......trying.......not.......

I met him and watched him at press conferences.  He was liken to as the Howard Cosell of the space reporters.

Offline cz77

• Regular
« Reply #14 on: 03/13/2007 05:12 PM »
Didnt NBC have an office ontop of some building outside the 'Manned Spaceflight Center' that looked toward the center itself and have a large plate glass window that was angled not to reflect glare or something into their camera?

Offline rsp1202

• Elite Veteran
  • 3, 2, 1 . . . Make rocket go now
« Reply #15 on: 03/13/2007 05:56 PM »
Roy Neal for NBC was knowledgeable. but I believe he was the go-to man, not anchor. Not enough face time.

Offline dvandorn

RE: CBS Moon landing coverage openings
« Reply #16 on: 03/13/2007 09:22 PM »
NBC went through a number of anchors of their space flight coverage.  During the early 60's and through the first Moon landing, Huntley and Brinkley both anchored mission coverage, although Frank McGee was the primary "science anchor" in those days and handled a lot of the anchor duties for off-hours events.

Frank McGee got ill in the early 70s and John Chancellor took over as the main anchor for space flight coverage.  For a short while, Tom Hartz aided in the coverage, but he too fell ill and wasn't around for the last Moon landings.
-Doug

Offline mikeh

• Regular
« Reply #17 on: 05/29/2007 07:59 PM »
Gene DiGennaro - 8/3/2007  9:00 PM

I seem to recall that CBS used a jazzed up electronic version of "Ode to Joy" as one of the Apollo mission themes.  Every time I hear that piece I think of Apollo.

It was ABC that used that intro.  I have it on audiotape.
===========================================
"You can't BS physics".

Don Arabian-Head of MER during Apollo

Offline dvandorn

« Reply #18 on: 05/30/2007 07:23 AM »

It was also Jules Bergman who, during the ABC coverage of the launch of STS-2 or STS-3 (my memory is a touch hazy at this point), to make some kind of esoteric point that REALLY did not require it, played an illicit copy he had of the tape of the Apollo 1 crew as the Fire took place.  Beginning with Grissom's call of "Fire -- I smell fire!" and ending with Roger Chaffee's agonized scream.

I will never forgive Bergman for having the arrogance to think that the American public had *any* need to hear that tape.  It was completely disrespectful to the families of the Apollo 1 crew, and was totally and completely unnecessary.  As I recall the circumstance, he *faked* a nonsensical argument in order to provide himself a pretext for playing the tape.

As long as I live, I will never have *any* respect for Jules Bergman.  Ever.
-Doug

Offline apollonut

« Reply #19 on: 08/05/2007 02:05 PM »
It was STS 1.  I still have part of what he did on an old audio recording somewhere of ABCs launch coverage.  Not a pleasant sound.

Tags: