Author Topic: ESA CAVES 2013/2016  (Read 6356 times)

Online catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8798
  • Likes Given: 7819
ESA CAVES 2013/2016
« on: 07/10/2014 08:17 pm »
CAVES 2013 debriefing

Published on Jul 10, 2014
European Space Agency, ESA

Why is living and working underground in a cave similar to being in space? Experienced spacewalkers and astronauts from ESA's underground training course CAVES explain how climbing down a cavern is not unlike spacewalking across the International Space Station.

ESA astronaut Paolo Nespoli, Canadian Space Agency astronaut Jeremy Hansen, NASA astronauts Jack Fischer and Mike Barratt recount their experience of spending a week hundreds of metres underground.

(highlights mine)

« Last Edit: 07/08/2016 10:29 am by Jester »
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline bolun

• Europe
  • Liked: 970
  • Likes Given: 110
Re: CAVES 2013
« Reply #1 on: 06/28/2016 08:25 am »
Cavenauts 2016

Astronauts on ESA's 2016 underground training course CAVES pose for a picture in front of a cave entrance. From left: cosmonaut Sergei Vladimirovich, ESA astronaut Pedro Duque, taikonaut Ye Guangfu, Japanese astronaut Aki Hoshide and NASA astronauts Ricky Arnold and Jessica Muir.

Caves offer a dark and alien underground environment with many analogies to space. Deep underground, our senses are deprived of many sounds and natural light. The procedure for moving along a cave wall resembles spacewalking and cave explorers need to stay alert, take critical decisions both as an individual and as a team, just as in space.

The CAVES – Cooperative Adventure for Valuing and Exercising – course focuses on multicultural approaches to leadership, following orders, teamwork and decision-making.

Related links:

- Blog: http://blogs.esa.int/caves/
- ESA's web page: http://www.esa.int/Our_Activities/Human_Spaceflight/Caves

http://www.esa.int/spaceinimages/Images/2016/06/Cavenauts_2016

Image credit: ESA–S. Sechi

Offline bolun

• Europe

Offline Nicolas PILLET

• Gien, France
    • Kosmonavtika
  • Liked: 670
  • Likes Given: 134
« Reply #3 on: 07/05/2016 08:04 pm »
cosmonaut Sergei Vladimirovich

Wow ! ESA PR doesn't know that Russian people have a first name, a patronym and a family name ?
Sergei is the first name.
Vladimirovich is the patronym, it means that he is the son of Vladimir.
KORSAKOV is his family name !
Nicolas PILLET
Kosmonavtika : The French site on Russian Space

Offline bolun

• Europe
« Reply #4 on: 07/05/2016 08:27 pm »
cosmonaut Sergei Vladimirovich

Wow ! ESA PR doesn't know that Russian people have a first name, a patronym and a family name ?
Sergei is the first name.
Vladimirovich is the patronym, it means that he is the son of Vladimir.
KORSAKOV is his family name !

And Jessica Meir is called Jessica Muir.  :o

Online catdlr

« Reply #5 on: 07/06/2016 03:56 pm »
CAVES: 3D models created with photographs

Published on Jul 6, 2016
Photogrammetry is the science of getting precise measurements and three-dimensional data from at least two photographs. This technique can be applied to construct a 3D model of any scene from any source of image, from standard digital cameras to cameras on Earth-orbiting satellites. The 3D models can be analysed to store information on size, volume, shape and morphology of the surveyed areas.

These models were made during the 2016 edition of ESA’s underground astronaut training course CAVES – Cooperative Adventure for Valuing and Exercising human behaviour and performance Skills.

Photogrammetry could be used by astronauts on the surface of other planets, or even underground such as in the lava tubes of Mars for scientists on Earth.

Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Online catdlr

« Reply #6 on: 07/08/2016 09:26 am »
CAVES 2016: Video log day 5

Published on Jul 8, 2016
NASA astronaut Jessica Meir’s video log of the fifth and last full day of the extended exploration phase of ESA’s underground training course CAVES.

Online catdlr

« Reply #7 on: 07/08/2016 09:27 am »
CAVES 2016: Video log day 6

Published on Jul 8, 2016
NASA astronaut Ricky Arnold’s video log of the sixth and last day of the extended exploration phase of ESA’s underground training course CAVES.

Online catdlr

Re: ESA CAVES 2013/2016
« Reply #9 on: 07/12/2016 07:53 pm »
CAVES 2016: The dark face

Published on Jul 12, 2016
A look back at the CAVES 2016 expedition which saw six astronauts from China, Japan, USA, Spain and Russia spend six nights in caves of Sardinia, Italy, to explore the depths and train for life in outer space.

Online catdlr

Re: ESA CAVES 2013/2016
« Reply #10 on: 07/15/2016 10:41 pm »
CAVES 2016: Photogrammetry

Published on Jul 15, 2016
Photogrammetry is the science of getting precise measurements and three-dimensional data from at least two photographs. This technique can be applied to construct a 3D model of any scene from any source of image, from standard digital cameras to cameras on Earth-orbiting satellites. The 3D models can be analysed to store information on size, volume, shape and morphology of the surveyed areas.

These models were made during the 2016 edition of ESA’s underground astronaut training course CAVES – Cooperative Adventure for Valuing and Exercising human behaviour and performance Skills. Photogrammetry could be used by astronauts on the surface of other planets, or even underground such as in the lava tubes of Mars for scientists on Earth.

The 3D models are available on Sketchfab at:
https://skfb.ly/PXZ9
https://skfb.ly/QqyJ

Follow the underground adventure on Twitter with via @ESA_CAVES, and on the CAVES blog: http://blogs.esa.int/caves

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography