Author Topic: LIVE: Long March 5 maiden flight - SJ-17 - WSLC - November 3, 2016 (12:43 UTC)  (Read 138166 times)

Offline beidou

• Mars
  • Liked: 48
  • Likes Given: 3
« Last Edit: 11/03/2016 12:11 pm by Galactic Penguin SST »

Offline beidou

• Mars
  • Liked: 48
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: Long March 5 (CZ-5) maiden flight - WSLC - October, 2016
« Reply #1 on: 06/25/2016 04:26 pm »
Should we expect some update on this flight with the success of CZ-7?
« Last Edit: 06/25/2016 04:26 pm by beidou »

Offline Phillip Clark

• Hastings, England
  • Liked: 557
  • Likes Given: 1078
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane - WJ.

Offline Galactic Penguin SST

Astronomy & spaceflight geek penguin. In a relationship w/ Space Shuttle Discovery. Current Priority: Chasing the Chinese Spaceflight Wonder Egg & A Certain Chinese Mars Rover

Online Satori

• Global Moderator
  • Campo do Geręs - Portugal
  • Liked: 1968
  • Likes Given: 1156

Offline Galactic Penguin SST

Well with CZ-7 cleared the tower we might need to wait for a little more while for the CZ-5 - http://epaper.tianjinwe.com/mrxb/mrxb/2016-06/26/content_7469872.htm reports that final assembly of the 1st CZ-5 won't be completed till late August, with launch "around November". This is probably a more realistic schedule given that final assembly didn't start until 2-3 months ago.  :P

This means that it's game on for the tri-core rocket of the SoCal-company-which-must-not-be-named to take over the throne of the world's most powerful active rocket before the Chinese does!  ;)
Astronomy & spaceflight geek penguin. In a relationship w/ Space Shuttle Discovery. Current Priority: Chasing the Chinese Spaceflight Wonder Egg & A Certain Chinese Mars Rover

Offline baldusi

• Buenos Aires, Argentina
  • Liked: 2539
  • Likes Given: 8273
Re: Long March 5 (CZ-5) maiden flight - WSLC - September 2016
« Reply #6 on: 06/27/2016 12:09 pm »
Delta IV Heavy already can do 28.8 tonnes to LEO, according to their Payload Planning Guide. LM-5 is the Chinese response to that.
« Last Edit: 06/27/2016 07:23 pm by baldusi »

Offline linxiaoyi

• China
  • Liked: 31
  • Likes Given: 93
« Reply #7 on: 06/27/2016 12:20 pm »
Delta IV Heavy already does 27 tonnes to LEO. LM-5 is the Chinese response to that.

27t? Wow, which mission?
Welcome to my website:http://www.spaceflightfans.cn/

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4671
  • Likes Given: 768
Re: Long March 5 (CZ-5) maiden flight - WSLC - November 2016
« Reply #8 on: 06/27/2016 05:12 pm »
Delta IV Heavy already does 27 tonnes to LEO. LM-5 is the Chinese response to that.

27t? Wow, which mission?
the modules for their upcoming space station and several other missions including observatories and such

Offline plutogno

• Toulouse, France and Milan, Italy
  • Liked: 240
  • Likes Given: 35
« Reply #9 on: 06/27/2016 07:40 pm »
I think he meant which 27t payload was launched by the Delta IV Heavy

Offline baldusi

« Reply #10 on: 06/27/2016 07:43 pm »

27t? Wow, which mission?

I didn't meant to imply that DIVH had actually launched such a heavy payload. Only that it does has such capability and thus LM-5 won't be the most powerful rocket, at least to LEO. GTO depends on the Chinese definition of GTO. DIVH does 14.2 tonnes to 1,800m/s and 10.1 to 1,500m/s GTO.
BTW, NROL-49 and NROL-65 did launched to LEO and DIV M(5,4) can do 11.5 tonnes to SSO, so they were surely heavier. Atlas V551 can do 15, so they might be even heavier.
LM-5B is tasked with launching the space station modules, which are probably more than 20 tonnes each. Something that Proton has done a lot, but USA only did with the Shuttle. But could easily do with Delta IV Heavy, Atlas V and will be able to do with Falcon Heavy and Vulcan or the OrbitalATK solid LV.
So, LM-5 will be up there with the big boys, but is nothing Earth shattering.

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: 06/28/2016 01:30 am »

27t? Wow, which mission?

I didn't meant to imply that DIVH had actually launched such a heavy payload. Only that it does has such capability and thus LM-5 won't be the most powerful rocket, at least to LEO. GTO depends on the Chinese definition of GTO. DIVH does 14.2 tonnes to 1,800m/s and 10.1 to 1,500m/s GTO.
BTW, NROL-49 and NROL-65 did launched to LEO and DIV M(5,4) can do 11.5 tonnes to SSO, so they were surely heavier. Atlas V551 can do 15, so they might be even heavier.
LM-5B is tasked with launching the space station modules, which are probably more than 20 tonnes each. Something that Proton has done a lot, but USA only did with the Shuttle. But could easily do with Delta IV Heavy, Atlas V and will be able to do with Falcon Heavy and Vulcan or the OrbitalATK solid LV.
So, LM-5 will be up there with the big boys, but is nothing Earth shattering.
You are leaving out the lone Saturn V launch with Skylab 1 (Skylab A).

Offline Dalhousie

• Liked: 780
  • Likes Given: 1131
« Reply #12 on: 06/28/2016 02:37 am »
Delta IV Heavy already can do 28.8 tonnes to LEO, according to their Payload Planning Guide. LM-5 is the Chinese response to that.

Why does it have to be a "response" instead of the Chinese building a launcher with needed capability?
Apologies in advance for any lack of civility - it's unintended

Offline baldusi

« Reply #13 on: 06/28/2016 12:16 pm »

Why does it have to be a "response" instead of the Chinese building a launcher with needed capability?

Because I'm thinking in transitive terms. The LM-5 needs a certain capability because their space projects match US and Russian space assets. Thus, LM-5 had to at least match Proton, Delta IV, Atlas V and Shuttle payload. The LEO capability is up there with Proton, DIVH and Shuttle (give it or take it) and the GTO is about the same as the DIVH.
I don't know if the LEO performance was the driver (CSS) or the GTO (DFH5?). I suspect the former, but in any case they are trying to match certain space assets and thus need a matching LV.
I still remember how one of the ISS designers stated that he was never ever going to make again a space station in 20 tonnes chunks. If the Chinese went for 25 is because they wanted to match the Saylut/Mir/ISS blocks. They did the Tiangong-1 with just 8.5tonnes or so. they could have gone with that. But it was simply not enough to match the previous space stations.

You are leaving out the lone Saturn V launch with Skylab 1 (Skylab A).
I'm also leaving Energyia's Polyus launch. I don't like to over quote messages, but the context was of activated launch vehicles at LM-5 debut. FH will probably surpass it and SLS will make it look like a medium launcher. But that was not the context of the original post.

Offline Dalhousie

• Liked: 780
  • Likes Given: 1131
« Reply #14 on: 06/30/2016 11:00 pm »

Because I'm thinking in transitive terms. The LM-5 needs a certain capability because their space projects match US and Russian space assets. Thus, LM-5 had to at least match Proton, Delta IV, Atlas V and Shuttle payload. The LEO capability is up there with Proton, DIVH and Shuttle (give it or take it) and the GTO is about the same as the DIVH.
I'm also leaving Energyia's Polyus launch. I don't like to over quote messages, but the context was of activated launch vehicles at LM-5 debut. FH will probably surpass it and SLS will make it look like a medium launcher. But that was not the context of the original post.
[/quote]

In other words, it is not a response, it's China building a capacity they need to develop their own objectives.  It's an engineering choice, not a mythical keeping up with the Jones approach.
Apologies in advance for any lack of civility - it's unintended

Offline baldusi

« Reply #15 on: 07/01/2016 02:13 am »

In other words, it is not a response, it's China building a capacity they need to develop their own objectives.  It's an engineering choice, not a mythical keeping up with the Jones approach.
It's like University B making their own Olympic race track, because they want to bring their team to the competitive level of University A. So, you are telling me that University B race track is not a response to University A race track. It's just a choice, even though they are responding to University A race team performance by improving theirs?

Online Satori

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: 08/08/2016 08:13 am »
SJ-17 Shijian-17 to be launched on the maiden flight of the CZ-5.
« Last Edit: 08/08/2016 06:02 pm by Satori »

Offline Phillip Clark

• Hastings, England
  • Liked: 557
  • Likes Given: 1078
« Reply #17 on: 08/08/2016 09:05 am »
Any reports of what Shijian 17 will be doing?

I hope there won't be a few hundred "orbital spam" cubesats as well!
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane - WJ.

Online Satori

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: 08/08/2016 10:48 am »
Any reports of what Shijian 17 will be doing?

I hope there won't be a few hundred "orbital spam" cubesats as well!

Not yet, Phil.

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: 08/08/2016 04:47 pm »
SJ-17 Shijian-17 to be launched on the maiden flight of the CZ-7.
you mean the CZ-5

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography