Author Topic: DARPA Experimental Spaceplane 1 (XS-1) Program  (Read 419565 times)

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4672
  • Likes Given: 768
Re: DARPA Experimental Spaceplane 1 (XS-1) Program
« Reply #560 on: 12/22/2016 03:42 am »
As previously discussed in the VSS thread;
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/vector-space-systems-completes-acquisition-of-garvey-spacecraft-corporation-to-enhance-micro-satellite-launch-capabilities-300301053.html
I'm missing something. Which XS-1 team is Garvey involved with?
GSS was a separate XS-1 DARPA contract for the second stage only. the other teams are single stage and/or first stage only contracts with which GSS's second stage would fly on any of them for two stage flights.

This one explains it better than the presser: http://defensenews-alert.blogspot.com/2016/09/vector-space-systems-awarded-25m-in.html

Offline TrevorMonty

« Reply #561 on: 12/22/2016 07:11 pm »
There was also talk of Rocket Lab US derived from Electron. Wasn't lot of detail in article I read, may just be a study.

Offline Elmar Moelzer

• Liked: 849
  • Likes Given: 1062
« Reply #562 on: 02/13/2017 11:33 pm »
Is there any news on this? Is the project dead?

Offline jongoff

• Recovering Rocket Plumber/Space Entrepreneur
  • Lafayette/Broomfield, CO
  • Liked: 3987
  • Likes Given: 1684
« Reply #563 on: 02/14/2017 01:46 am »
Is there any news on this? Is the project dead?

Well, they're only running a few weeks behind on the announcement, and some of that may have been due to the presidential transition. I wouldn't assume anything negative about the project yet.

~Jon

Offline Elmar Moelzer

« Reply #564 on: 03/02/2017 12:08 pm »
Thanks Jon!

Offline jongoff

« Reply #565 on: 03/13/2017 10:36 pm »
I asked DARPA on twitter if the program was still alive, and they actually responded and said that yes it is still running and that Phase II awards are "still pending". No idea how soon they'll announce, but thought everyone might be interested.

~Jon

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4672
  • Likes Given: 768
« Reply #566 on: 03/13/2017 10:50 pm »
I asked DARPA on twitter if the program was still alive, and they actually responded and said that yes it is still running and that Phase II awards are "still pending". No idea how soon they'll announce, but thought everyone might be interested.

~Jon
Last I heard from one of the participating companies was that DARPA was now hoping to award Phase II in the Summer - Autumn 2017 timeframe.

Offline Elmar Moelzer

« Reply #567 on: 03/14/2017 12:44 am »
Last I heard from one of the participating companies was that DARPA was now hoping to award Phase II in the Summer - Autumn 2017 timeframe.
Wow! Why that huge delay?

Offline Zed_Noir

• Canada
  • Liked: 1809
  • Likes Given: 1302
« Reply #568 on: 03/14/2017 08:36 am »
Wow! Why that huge delay?

The USAF is waiting for their marching orders from the new Administration. Or not.

Offline john smith 19

• Everyplaceelse
  • Liked: 2431
  • Likes Given: 13606
« Reply #569 on: 03/23/2017 05:25 pm »
The USAF is waiting for their marching orders from the new Administration. Or not.
Wow. Talk about the knock-on effect of a small slip in schedule.  :o

TBH I thought at this level stuff would go through BAU unless the new team made a point of specifically calling a halt.  :(

So maybe something by the end of Q317?
MCT ITS BFR SS. The worlds first Methane fueled FFSC engined CFRP SS structure A380 sized aerospaceplane tail sitter capable of Earth & Mars atmospheric flight.First flight to Mars by end of 2022 TBC. T&C apply. Trust nothing. Run your own #s "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof" R. Simberg."Competitve" means cheaper ¬cheap SCramjet proposed 1956. First +ve thrust 2004. US R&D spend to date > $10Bn. #deployed designs. Zero.

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3974
  • Likes Given: 220
« Reply #570 on: 04/04/2017 07:33 pm »

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3974
  • Likes Given: 220
« Reply #571 on: 05/11/2017 04:04 pm »
DARPA XS-1 Spaceplane Award Coming Soon

The Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency expects to award a contract for the XS-1 spaceplane program “soon,” according to a contractor authorized to speak about the program. Michael Arnone of Spire Communications said DARPA is indeed in the final stages of a “downselect” to choose one company to proceed into the flying phase of the spaceplane, which is meant to be a two-stage to orbit vehicle potentially able to bring down the cost of space lift “by orders of magnitude,” according to DARPA’s website. Arnone acknowledged that program plans called for the downselect in late 2016 or early this year, but “this is the government and things sometimes take time,” he said. Phase I of the program explored concepts offered by Boeing partnered with Blue Origin, Masten Space Systems teamed with XCOR Aerospace, and Northrop Grumman working with Virgin Galactic. However, the Phase II contractor won’t necessarily be chosen from the three Phase I participants. After downselect, a critical design review would take place in 2018 and a series of flights could be made as early as 2020. One of the program requirements is to fly 10 suborbital or orbital missions in as many days, achieving space operations with “aircraft-like” frequency, DARPA said. If successful, a “public-private partnership” model of operating the vehicles could be adopted, DARPA documents show.

Offline TrevorMonty

« Reply #572 on: 05/11/2017 05:24 pm »
Sounds like there could be a 4th  participant in the running. Any guesses?.

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
  • Liked: 617
  • Likes Given: 211
« Reply #573 on: 05/11/2017 09:35 pm »
Does someone else notice the similarity between a delayed engine test and the delayed XS-1 down selection.
I think I also ansered who the 4th party could be.

Offline QuantumG

• Australia
  • Liked: 4477
  • Likes Given: 1108
« Reply #574 on: 05/11/2017 09:40 pm »

Rocket Lab USA is what we were hearing last year.

Human spaceflight is basically just LARPing now.

Offline TrevorMonty

« Reply #575 on: 05/12/2017 12:54 am »

Rocket Lab USA is what we were hearing last year.
They would need a lot of Rudford engines or larger engine to be able to compete plus another aerospace company with deep pockets and lots of experience. LM comes to mind. An XS-1 class booster would need 350-550klbs of thrust. Masten were looking at 7x 60klbs, Northrop Grumman were using ?x Newton 3 (53-70klbs). Boeing either a few BE3 or BE4, I'm picking BE4 which could explain some of delays as DARPA wait for first testing firing.

Edit. Newton 3 was 265,000 to 335,000 newtons not klbs. Thought it was lot bigger than I remembered.
« Last Edit: 05/12/2017 01:00 am by TrevorMonty »

Offline QuantumG

• Australia
  • Liked: 4477
  • Likes Given: 1108
« Reply #576 on: 05/12/2017 01:01 am »
... for the second stage.
Human spaceflight is basically just LARPing now.

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81676
  • Likes Given: 36941
« Reply #577 on: 05/13/2017 05:48 pm »
New blog post:

The Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) may soon award a contract for the XS-1 spaceplane.

According to Air Force Magazine, DARPA has entered the final stages of a “downselect” to choose one company to proceed into the flying phase of the spaceplane. [...]

http://www.leonarddavid.com/darpa-xs-1-spaceplane-contract-decision-near/

Offline john smith 19

• Everyplaceelse
  • Liked: 2431
  • Likes Given: 13606
« Reply #578 on: 05/21/2017 02:20 pm »
New blog post:

The Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) may soon award a contract for the XS-1 spaceplane.

According to Air Force Magazine, DARPA has entered the final stages of a “downselect” to choose one company to proceed into the flying phase of the spaceplane. [...]

Oh my giddy Aunt. :o  This might actually mean there is a (small) real possibility of them actually building something.

I think we're all rooting at this point for Jess Sponable to get this done and get the funds to make this happen.
« Last Edit: 05/21/2017 02:21 pm by john smith 19 »
MCT ITS BFR SS. The worlds first Methane fueled FFSC engined CFRP SS structure A380 sized aerospaceplane tail sitter capable of Earth & Mars atmospheric flight.First flight to Mars by end of 2022 TBC. T&C apply. Trust nothing. Run your own #s "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof" R. Simberg."Competitve" means cheaper ¬cheap SCramjet proposed 1956. First +ve thrust 2004. US R&D spend to date > $10Bn. #deployed designs. Zero.

Offline jongoff

« Reply #579 on: 05/22/2017 05:44 pm »
New blog post:

Oh my giddy Aunt. :o  This might actually mean there is a (small) real possibility of them actually building something.

I think we're all rooting at this point for Jess Sponable to get this done and get the funds to make this happen.

I just hope they pick wisely. The rumors I had been hearing six months ago on who the pick would be didn't have me very optimistic though...

~Jon

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography