Author Topic: Armadillo Aerospace Update Thread  (Read 241246 times)

Offline Don RN

• North Carolina, USA
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Armadillo Aerospace Update Thread
« on: 01/28/2010 04:08 pm »
Armadillo has posted a new update on their website (1/27).  A lot of nice information and video.  About 30 separate topics covering the past 6 months or so.

http://www.armadilloaerospace.com/n.x/Armadillo/Home/News?news_id=369

now back to 1+ years of happy lurking!   ;D

Don
« Last Edit: 01/30/2012 12:06 pm by Chris Bergin »

Offline Tergenev

Re: New Update Posted at Armadillo Aerospace
« Reply #1 on: 01/29/2010 07:42 pm »
Thanks for the link.

What was most interesting from this recent update was that a) It wasn't written by John Carmack, but more interestingly b) Armadillo is starting to get a bit guarded with the information they share. I guess the heady, early, 'we're all one big team' era of the micro-space industries has officially ended.

Particularly, when talking about their boosted hop tests to 800 and 1200 meters, they don't describe the problems or solutions they encountered...

We could go into some of the specific details we learned during these tests, but in the interest of prudence, we felt that some of this information might make it just a bit too easy for our competitors. 

I think someone was stung by the fact that Masten 'snuck in and stole' their Tier 2 lunar lander prize. (My description of their likely emotional reaction, not Armadillo's words.)

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25240
  • Likes Given: 12115
« Reply #2 on: 01/29/2010 07:47 pm »
Thanks for the link.

What was most interesting from this recent update was that a) It wasn't written by John Carmack, but more interestingly b) Armadillo is starting to get a bit guarded with the information they share. I guess the heady, early, 'we're all one big team' era of the micro-space industries has officially ended.

Particularly, when talking about their boosted hop tests to 800 and 1200 meters, they don't describe the problems or solutions they encountered...

We could go into some of the specific details we learned during these tests, but in the interest of prudence, we felt that some of this information might make it just a bit too easy for our competitors. 

I think someone was stung by the fact that Masten 'snuck in and stole' their Tier 2 lunar lander prize. (My description of their likely emotional reaction, not Armadillo's words.)
I don't think that era has ended. Both teams still talk on the Arocket mailing list. They still talk about cooperation, etc. If they weren't interested in cooperation, they wouldn't post on Arocket. And pretty much everyone likes Paul Breed (of Unreasonable Rocket). There was a lot of drama in the Lunar lander xprize competition, but also still a heck of a lot of cooperation.

Their reaction to the controversial X-Prize ruling is understandable.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline jongoff

• Recovering Rocket Plumber/Space Entrepreneur
  • Lafayette/Broomfield, CO
  • Liked: 3987
  • Likes Given: 1681
« Reply #3 on: 01/30/2010 05:49 am »
Thanks for the link.

I don't think that era has ended. Both teams still talk on the Arocket mailing list. They still talk about cooperation, etc. If they weren't interested in cooperation, they wouldn't post on Arocket. And pretty much everyone likes Paul Breed (of Unreasonable Rocket). There was a lot of drama in the Lunar lander xprize competition, but also still a heck of a lot of cooperation.

We're still friends.  I'm pretty sure we'll be playing hookie from the presentations at Space Access and talking shop out in the courtyard just as much as any previous year.  This is now a full-time job for both of our groups, so we have a bit more at stake than just a really sweet hobby, so its understandable that we're not always going to give away the recipe to our magic squirrel juice de jour.  But that doesn't mean we won't still be trying to be as open as we reasonably can be without giving away the shop. 

Also, part of why John didn't write this is that he has a new little boy (I think number two for them)--having three little boys myself, I can completely empathize.

~Jon

Offline Lampyridae

• Veteran
  • South Africa
  • Liked: 949
  • Likes Given: 2056
« Reply #4 on: 01/31/2010 11:34 pm »
LOL, that weiner-roasting video is going in my archives! Nice flight of the Methane Mod too.

Offline Don RN

• North Carolina, USA
« Reply #5 on: 02/06/2010 02:01 am »
Thanks for the link.

.... b) Armadillo is starting to get a bit guarded with the information they share. I guess the heady, early, 'we're all one big team' era of the micro-space industries has officially ended.

We're still friends.  I'm pretty sure we'll be playing hookie from the presentations at Space Access and talking shop out in the courtyard just as much as any previous year.  This is now a full-time job for both of our groups, so we have a bit more at stake than just a really sweet hobby, so its understandable that we're not always going to give away the recipe to our magic squirrel juice de jour.  But that doesn't mean we won't still be trying to be as open as we reasonably can be without giving away the shop. 

Also, part of why John didn't write this is that he has a new little boy (I think number two for them)--having three little boys myself, I can completely empathize.

~Jon

Thanks Jon.

It seems to me that one would need to go back quite some time in the Armadillo archives before seeing a lot of the technical detail.  I don't think this update is much changed from recent updates. 
  I am happy that they continue to provide insight to their activities and challenges.  This type of sharing is exciting and enjoyable as an amateur observer.
  This update also clearly attempted to separate out the personal feelings and reactions about the Lunar Lander Challenge.  Armadillo very clearly offered congratulations and support to Masten.

Don

Offline Zapp

• Regular
« Reply #6 on: 02/17/2010 08:03 am »
New photos on Russell Blink's flickr page

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27997120@N05/

I wonder what this new vehicle is for?
From the looks of it Im thinking methane pixel 2.0 for simply going high altitude.

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
« Reply #7 on: 02/17/2010 08:33 pm »
New photos on Russell Blink's flickr page

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27997120@N05/

I wonder what this new vehicle is for?
From the looks of it Im thinking methane pixel 2.0 for simply going high altitude.

Yup, it looks like all the tanks are insulated, so I'd bet money it's methane/Lox.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline corrodedNut

• Liked: 216
  • Likes Given: 133
« Reply #8 on: 04/26/2010 09:45 pm »
New videos, from their Space Access 2010 presentation:

http://www.armadilloaerospace.com/n.x/Armadillo/Home/Gallery/Videos

Three formats, 8 1/2 min long, check it out...

Offline Zapp

• Regular

Offline A_M_Swallow

• Elite Veteran
  • South coast of England
  • Liked: 500
  • Likes Given: 223
« Reply #10 on: 04/30/2010 09:10 pm »
To improve the impact an announcement of a new vehicle should have a picture of the vehicle that the press can publish.

Offline Cinder

• Liked: 229
  • Likes Given: 1077
« Reply #11 on: 04/30/2010 11:10 pm »
Is it the vehicle cfg you see at the end of the Space Access 2010 video?
http://www.armadilloaerospace.com/n.x/Armadillo/Home/Gallery/Videos
NEC ULTIMA SI PRIOR

Offline kkattula

• Melbourne, Australia
  • Liked: 656
  • Likes Given: 116
« Reply #12 on: 05/01/2010 09:38 am »
To improve the impact an announcement of a new vehicle should have a picture of the vehicle that the press can publish.

What new vehicle?  It's simply an agrrement to market services when Armadillo are able to offer them.

Armadillo are still expanding the altitude & velocity envelopes for their Mod vehicles. And dealing with some regulatory issues testing at their home base.

When they can reliably fly a mod to high altitude, I expect they'll finalize a design for a manned vehicle. The one at the end of the video is most likely their current concept of what it might look like, but likely to change based on flight experience.

Offline DiggyCoxwell

• Liked: 3
« Reply #13 on: 05/03/2010 10:12 pm »
  Armadillo and Space Adventures have come to an agreement
for ticket sales for suborbital flights.
  Asking passengers to pay $102,000 per suborbital flight.
Hmmmm.
I could almost afford it, assuming I don't have to wait 10 years.
John Carmack has been in this aerospace endeavor for 10 years
thereabouts; what has he accomplished in that time?

Offline heroineworshiper

« Reply #14 on: 05/03/2010 10:33 pm »
Why not announce future Mars missions for $100,000 & partner with Space Adventures?  If you announce a future mission to Alpha Centuri, they'll throw in a free hibachi knife set with your partnership.

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
« Reply #15 on: 05/03/2010 10:45 pm »
Why not announce future Mars missions for $100,000 & partner with Space Adventures?  If you announce a future mission to Alpha Centuri, they'll throw in a free hibachi knife set with your partnership.
Because Armadillo has real (yes, reusable without refurbishment) rocket hardware propelling multiple crewed aircraft:

And are making successful VTVL flights (up and down, controlled) to nearly beyond 1 km (though the one shown is only to about 3000 feet):

As well as experience flying (not just testing on a bench) liquid methane/liquid oxygen VTVL rockets:
« Last Edit: 05/03/2010 11:15 pm by Robotbeat »

Offline neilh

• Pasadena, CA
  • Liked: 46
  • Likes Given: 149
« Reply #16 on: 05/13/2010 06:50 pm »
There's a rather extensive article on Armadillo Aerospace in the Dallas Observer. It includes quite a few details about Armadillo's formative years which I hadn't seen before:

http://www.dallasobserver.com/2010-05-13/news/with-nasa-s-future-uncertain-a-team-of-dallas-rocketeers-competes-in-the-race-to-privatize-the-final-frontier/1
Someone is wrong on the Internet.
http://xkcd.com/386/

Offline cuddihy

• Liked: 580
  • Likes Given: 935
« Reply #17 on: 05/13/2010 08:57 pm »
  Armadillo and Space Adventures have come to an agreement
for ticket sales for suborbital flights.
  Asking passengers to pay $102,000 per suborbital flight.
Hmmmm.
I could almost afford it, assuming I don't have to wait 10 years.
John Carmack has been in this aerospace endeavor for 10 years
thereabouts; what has he accomplished in that time?

well you could get a pretty good idea just by reading all the updates he's posted. Here's some highlights:

flown over 20 different VTVL rockets on over 100 flights
created a volunteer based company that has nearly single-handedly created an industry and now has developed into a private, for-profit company
first to win a lunar lander challeng
inspired thousands, including some now in the industry including all three competitors he faced in the LLC
been pretty much the Orville and Wilbur Wright of private VTVL flight.

Is that a good start?

Posted from my iPhone

Offline neilh

• Pasadena, CA
  • Liked: 46
  • Likes Given: 149
« Reply #18 on: 05/13/2010 09:50 pm »
well you could get a pretty good idea just by reading all the updates he's posted. Here's some highlights:

flown over 20 different VTVL rockets on over 100 flights
created a volunteer based company that has nearly single-handedly created an industry and now has developed into a private, for-profit company
first to win a lunar lander challeng
inspired thousands, including some now in the industry including all three competitors he faced in the LLC
been pretty much the Orville and Wilbur Wright of private VTVL flight.

Is that a good start?

Posted from my iPhone

I'm not aware of more recent numbers, but it's also worth noting that Armadillo's total expenditures up until 2008 were just $3.5 million.
Someone is wrong on the Internet.
http://xkcd.com/386/

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
« Reply #19 on: 06/05/2010 09:44 pm »
Woo!!
Phil Eaton, on the ARocket mailing list:
I hate to scoop John, but I can't help myself!

Armadillo just completed a boosted hop to 2000 feet with an engine shutdown
and extended freefall under a small drogue.

Everything went well and the mod executed a Masten-esque maneuver to return
to the pad.

Matt will have video sometime in the next day or 2 I am sure...  It was
REALLY cool!

Phil

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography