Author Topic: NASA ready to power up the RS-25 engines for SLS  (Read 29962 times)

Offline Coastal Ron

• I live... along the coast
  • Liked: 10198
  • Likes Given: 11927
Re: NASA ready to power up the RS-25 engines for SLS
« Reply #40 on: 01/05/2015 03:22 am »
As long as Congress budgets the money to build new engines soon enough and the RS-68 tooling and skills are still around, I don't see why not.

Then again, Congress is not exactly known for optimal, timely, decision making skills.

IIRC, the RS-68 engine has a two year procurement lead time.  Since the RS-25 produces less thrust than the RS-68 I would expect the lead time to be about the same for the new version of this engine.  I'm not sure what the qualification schedule would be for the new RS-25 version, so that would need to be taken into account too, so authorization for the new disposable RS-25 engines would need to be happen by 2018 or so.

That's about the same timeframe for authorizing procurement and production of the operational version of the SLS, so Congress is not late yet on authorizing the building of more SLS and creating a launch rate gap.  However I think we're already years late in getting SLS-sized payloads authorized so that they will be ready by 2022, but that is a discussion for a different thread...  ;)
If we don't continuously lower the cost to access space, how are we ever going to afford to expand humanity out into space?

Offline MP99

« Reply #41 on: 01/05/2015 10:40 am »

As long as Congress budgets the money to build new engines soon enough and the RS-68 tooling and skills are still around, I don't see why not.

Then again, Congress is not exactly known for optimal, timely, decision making skills.

IIRC, the RS-68 engine has a two year procurement lead time.  Since the RS-25 produces less thrust than the RS-68 I would expect the lead time to be about the same for the new version of this engine.  I'm not sure what the qualification schedule would be for the new RS-25 version, so that would need to be taken into account too, so authorization for the new disposable RS-25 engines would need to be happen by 2018 or so.

RS-25 as staged combustion, and with that complex regen nozzle, is much more of a thoroughbred compared to RS-68 as a workhorse.

While I'm not saying you're wrong on the lead time, I don't think that's a very persuasive argument one way or the other.

Cheers, Martin

Offline Hog

• Woodstock
  • Liked: 1700
  • Likes Given: 6866
« Reply #42 on: 01/05/2015 02:57 pm »
{snip}
Of course, after the first four flights SLS will need new engines.

So the new engines would be needed in about 8 years time.  2015 + 8 = 2023
Any chance of the new RS-25 engines being in production by 2023?
I can see the wheels of "production" beginning to move very shortly.  Depending on the definition or stage of "production" we may or may not have already seen movement.

Now so far as seeing a new build RS-25 "rolling off the assembly line" at this point is anyone ones guess.
Paul

Offline Coastal Ron

• I live... along the coast
  • Liked: 10198
  • Likes Given: 11927
« Reply #43 on: 01/05/2015 09:48 pm »
RS-25 as staged combustion, and with that complex regen nozzle, is much more of a thoroughbred compared to RS-68 as a workhorse.

While I'm not saying you're wrong on the lead time, I don't think that's a very persuasive argument one way or the other.

Was not meant to be persuasive, just a SWAG.  And though the regen nozzle may be complex it may not be the long lead item that drives the schedule (could drive cost though).

However the production lead time likely won't be the big time driver for the initial batch of new RS-25's, but the qualification schedule will be.  And have they figured out which version of the modern RS-25 they will go with yet?
If we don't continuously lower the cost to access space, how are we ever going to afford to expand humanity out into space?

Offline Hog

• Woodstock
« Reply #44 on: 01/07/2015 05:38 pm »
  And have they figured out which version of the modern RS-25 they will go with yet?
And that is the burning question I am also curious about.
Paul

Offline woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
  • Liked: 18197
  • Likes Given: 12158
« Reply #45 on: 01/08/2015 08:51 am »
  And have they figured out which version of the modern RS-25 they will go with yet?
And that is the burning question I am also curious about.
It now looks like there is no money to complete development of RS-25E / Block III
From what I've heard production will be re-started for stock RS-25D's. (Like that isn't expensive.. but hey... I'm not the one running the SLS show).

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #46 on: 01/08/2015 12:18 pm »
It's a bit annoying as I had a bunch of really interesting quotes from Aerojet, after being told to hold due to procurement rules, about the plan for new RS-25s. As I was holding, waiting for the go, Antares failed and Aerojet didn't want to be in the news, so told me to keep holding. Have to respect that, but I REALLY want to run these quotes!
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
  • Liked: 18197
  • Likes Given: 12158
« Reply #47 on: 01/08/2015 03:43 pm »
It now looks like there is no money to complete development of RS-25E / Block III
From what I've heard production will be re-started for stock RS-25D's. (Like that isn't expensive.. but hey... I'm not the one running the SLS show).

It's a bit annoying as I had a bunch of really interesting quotes from Aerojet, after being told to hold due to procurement rules, about the plan for new RS-25s. As I was holding, waiting for the go, Antares failed and Aerojet didn't want to be in the news, so told me to keep holding. Have to respect that, but I REALLY want to run these quotes!
See my post above. I would love to be proven wrong Chris. Much looking forward to what Aerojet has revealed to you. But I guess we will have to wait until Aerojet gives you the nod.

Offline Bubbinski

« Reply #48 on: 01/08/2015 07:04 pm »
Regarding the RS-25 tests: will these be broadcast live on NASA TV? And how many tests will be needed before the engines are considered ready for SLS? (Is it the 500 seconds/2 firings mentioned in the article or are added tests required?)
« Last Edit: 01/08/2015 07:10 pm by Bubbinski »
I'll even excitedly look forward to "flags and footprints" and suborbital missions. Just fly...somewhere.

Offline Hog

• Woodstock
« Reply #49 on: 01/08/2015 09:32 pm »
Regarding the RS-25 tests: will these be broadcast live on NASA TV? And how many tests will be needed before the engines are considered ready for SLS? (Is it the 500 seconds/2 firings mentioned in the article or are added tests required?)
Those 2 tests mentioned in the article are the core stage green tests with 4 RS25's firing. There are single engine tests to begin scheduled this very soon (exact date/info is on L2) using ME-0525 which is currently mounted on the A-1 test stand at Stennis.
« Last Edit: 01/08/2015 09:39 pm by Hog »
Paul

Offline newpylong

• Liked: 200
  • Likes Given: 343
« Reply #50 on: 01/09/2015 12:45 pm »

Not live but Stennis puts them on Youtube soon therafter.

Online catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8781
  • Likes Given: 7815
« Reply #51 on: 01/10/2015 02:36 am »
SLS RS-25 Testing Heats Up

Published on Jan 9, 2015

The RS-25 engine that will drive NASA's new rocket, the Space Launch System, to deep space blazed through its first successful test Jan. 9 at the agency's Stennis Space Center near Bay St. Louis, Mississippi. The RS-25 fired up for 500 seconds on the A-1 test stand, providing NASA engineers with critical data on the engine controller unit and inlet pressure conditions.

Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
  • Liked: 659
  • Likes Given: 7688
« Reply #52 on: 01/10/2015 09:03 pm »
SLS RS-25 Testing Heats Up

Published on Jan 9, 2015

The RS-25 engine that will drive NASA's new rocket, the Space Launch System, to deep space blazed through its first successful test Jan. 9 at the agency's Stennis Space Center near Bay St. Louis, Mississippi. The RS-25 fired up for 500 seconds on the A-1 test stand, providing NASA engineers with critical data on the engine controller unit and inlet pressure conditions.

Absolutely magnificent! That was on par with the Dragon launch today!

Of course you could see the slight oscillations in the engine bell from all that thrust. Shame they cut out the nozzle end view prior to shutdown - I always like seeing that (as well as start-up).

Interestingly, it seemed to me that the plume colour changed a bit over the duration of the burn, with a bit of an orange/red tinge.

Online catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8781
  • Likes Given: 7815
« Reply #53 on: 01/19/2015 06:57 am »
another view:

RS-25 engine test

Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline newpylong

• Liked: 200
  • Likes Given: 343

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography