Author Topic: Space Adventures To Unveil Milestone Announcements Regarding Future of Its  (Read 14587 times)

Offline Olaf

• Germany
  • Liked: 1481
  • Likes Given: 455
But in Novosti Kosmonavtiki Mr. Perminov is quoted, that he doesn´t know anything about it.

If I remember correctly, that kind of poor communication has happened a number of times with these kinds of deals.  The best example was MirCorp, ca 2000 or so, which repeatedly made announcements of plans only to have the Russians claim to know nothing about them.  It became almost farcical.

But Krasnov is the deputy of Perminov and actually they should know what the other said.

Offline Olaf

• Germany
  • Liked: 1481
  • Likes Given: 455

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 699
  • Likes Given: 723

I was under the impression that the Soyuz has circumlunar capability for a single person without any drastic changes.  Is that assumption incorrect?

Soyuz would require some modifications for a circumlunar mission, more if launched on Proton, less if using the "Lunar Express" architecture:

http://www.constellationservices.com/Lunar_ExpressSM_system_brief_NewSpace2006_20_July_2006.pdf

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran

If I remember correctly, that kind of poor communication has happened a number of times with these kinds of deals.  The best example was MirCorp, ca 2000 or so, which repeatedly made announcements of plans only to have the Russians claim to know nothing about them.  It became almost farcical.

You remember correctly. This kind of "poor communications" is not accidental, it is part of business culture in that part of the world. Space Adventures is capable of working through the noise to fly their mission, so I would not worry about the weird quotes from Roskosmos.

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran

Is the production limited by capacity, or requirement?

The production is limited by real cash.

Offline hop

• Liked: 553
  • Likes Given: 891
This is probably true, but doesn't mean it can be ramped up in a short time even given a bunch of cash. AFAIK 6 crew ISS will already be using Soyuz/Progress well above any historical rate, even at the height of the Soviet program. Expanding facilities and training staff takes time, even if you have plenty of cash.

I'd agree there's some games being played, but it's far from clear to me exactly what game it is.

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
This is probably true, but doesn't mean it can be ramped up in a short time even given a bunch of cash. AFAIK 6 crew ISS will already be using Soyuz/Progress well above any historical rate, even at the height of the Soviet program. Expanding facilities and training staff takes time, even if you have plenty of cash.

I'd agree there's some games being played, but it's far from clear to me exactly what game it is.

Given that the commercial Soyuz is slated for launch in 2011, the constraint is not time, but actual cash.  Obviously, the cash must be provided within a reasonable time period to pay for long lead items.

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran

Is the production limited by capacity, or requirement?

http://www.itar-tass.com/eng/level2.html?NewsID=12832083&PageNum=0

As expected, an "extra" Soyuz will be produced, assuming the cash is forthcoming.

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
Google Co-Founder Books a Flight on Russian Soyuz Space Shot
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/11/technology/11soyuz.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin

This was back in 2008, whatever happened to this?

Offline Ben the Space Brit

• A spaceflight fan
  • London, UK
  • Liked: 806
  • Likes Given: 900
Google Co-Founder Books a Flight on Russian Soyuz Space Shot
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/11/technology/11soyuz.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin

This was back in 2008, whatever happened to this?

Or, more specifically, what is Space Adventures' current customer backlog?
"Oops! I left the silly thing in reverse!" - Duck Dodgers

~*~*~*~

The Space Shuttle Program - 1981-2011

The time for words has passed; The time has come to put up or shut up!
DON'T PROPAGANDISE, FLY!!!

Offline Steven Pietrobon

• Adelaide, Australia
    • Steven Pietrobon's Space Archive
  • Liked: 32738
  • Likes Given: 8196
Sergey Brin of Google was the founding member of the Orbital Mission Explorers Circle. He paid a $5M deposit to reserve a seat for a future flight. As far as I can find out, Space Adventures has not announced any other members joining the circle.

The latest news from Space Adventures is that RSC Energia will be launching an additional fifth Soyuz in 2013, allowing for three commercial seats to be available.

They've also sold a $150M ticket for a Lunar flyby mission and are currently waiting for someone to buy the other ticket.
« Last Edit: 03/28/2011 08:10 am by Steven Pietrobon »
Akin's Laws of Spacecraft Design #1:  Engineering is done with numbers.  Analysis without numbers is only an opinion.

Offline Robert Thompson

• Liked: 101
  • Likes Given: 658
http://moonandback.com/2011/02/03/top-russian-official-says-negligible-upgrade-needed-for-lunar-trip/
"RSC Energia, funded by Space Adventures, completed the engineering studies for the mission and have said there would be modifications needed to the Soyuz, but they would be based on prior flight-tested designs."

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography