Author Topic: OMG it's the SpaceX Party Thread!  (Read 256908 times)

Offline Go4TLI

• Liked: 94
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: OMG it's the SpaceX Party Thread!
« Reply #1700 on: 06/01/2012 08:11 PM »
The main thrust of the video was to compare and contrast Dr. Griffin to the successes of SpaceX in spite of what he has testified to, and others like him. 

::)

Offline oiorionsbelt

• Liked: 384
  • Likes Given: 947
« Reply #1701 on: 06/01/2012 08:23 PM »
This is just fluff so I'm putting it here :)

Grasshopper is a good name for the test bed SpaceX is developing.
There's the obvious likeness of a grasshopper jumping above the grass before coming back down.
Grasshoppers eventually fly.
And then theres the TV show Kung Fu 'grasshopper' as apprentice.

Offline Bender

• Liked: 1
« Reply #1702 on: 06/01/2012 08:39 PM »
Does anyone have details of the Russian Space Agency visit to SpaceX headquarters. In one of the recent press conferences Elon had mentioned it. He also mentioned when he appeared on the Daily Show like a month back. I thought it was supposed to happen this week. Does anyone know about it? Was it just a PR photo op visit? Or was there talk of potential future business?

Offline R.Simko

• Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 21
« Reply #1703 on: 06/01/2012 08:52 PM »
Andrew - the video would probably be improved by showing shots of the astronauts opening and unloading Dragon. (the literal laundry delivery) Great job, though.
We agree Lars...  This was our first video and we did rush on this a little.  The main thrust of the video was to compare and contrast Dr. Griffin to the successes of SpaceX in spite of what he has testified to, and others like him.  We feel we met that objective.

However, this video is bigger than SpaceX.  I cannot wait to do a video like this on Sierra Nevada... or even... dare I say... ATK.

SpaceX was first, but I would submit all of the commercial providers were riding with Falcon 9 and Dragon.  Everyone gained from COT 2+ in my estimation.

Luckily for us... there will be more awesome missions and Depeche Mode has a lot of songs that will really "Drive it Home". 

Respectfully,
Andrew Gasser
TEA Party in Space

PS If you haven't already,  I would sincerely hope you all swing by our website and sign up for our newsletter.  It is non-partisan and we are going to be doing some amazing things soon.

Are you also going to make a video for Senator Shelby?

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 2155
  • Likes Given: 5090
« Reply #1704 on: 06/01/2012 09:02 PM »
Remember what happens when politics get thrown over here.

Party thread, so no moderation, but this is not an excuse for politics. So the point (a good one) has been made, and now this is line. No politics after this post please.
Chris is right… Wench, bring me more Ale!! Kool-Aid!! Hydrazine!! Whateva… ;D
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob, Physics instructor, aviator, vintage auto racer

Offline Lobo

• Spokane, WA
  • Liked: 518
  • Likes Given: 313
« Reply #1705 on: 06/01/2012 10:58 PM »
The TPIS vidio juxtaposing Griffin quotes with SpaceX successes is hilarious.  Too bad about the typo in the title screen.

My impression is that COTS was a political "bone" thrown by Griffin while he concentrated on Apollo-on-you-know-what.  I don't think he actually expected all the entrants to fail, but Constellation was 99% of his ballgame and COTS was a tiny little sideshow.

Wow, that's a lot of metaphors, but you see what I mean.

This has been gnawed to death, but it still blows my mind how a really, really smart guy can make such a huge and destructive mistake.  It happened to my company--new CEO of the parent company comes in, gets momentarily frakked at the top management of our company (which was the cash cow for the whole operation) and summarily fires them.  They go form a new company that is now our dangerous competitor, and they know their stuff.  Meanwhile, parent-company board realizes CEO is an (starts with i, ends with t, has dio in the middle), so he's gone.  But he's left a catastrophe behind him.  Same with Griffin.

At the time, I thought Griffin was a perfect choice.  Shame on me.

I do believe that he fully intended for the entrants to fail, and yes it was a political bone. The purpose was basically to distract congress and the president by making it look as if everything was fine, so that he and his buddies in Alabama could continue what in my mind amounts to criminally negligent thuggery and keep firing and shutting up anyone with a grain of common sense in the agency.

It still boggles my mind to this date that there was not a congressional investigation into Griffin's activities specifically in addition to the Augustine commission, a legal investigation that is, as well as one into Senator Shelby's office. Someone should have gone to jail for what happened, after all griffin essentially lied to congress on multiple occasions as did the senator from Alabama.

As for the CEO analogy that is a really good comparison, but there is one major difference I think, and that is that Griffin was not an inaccurate, just a maniac. He knew full well what it was he wanted and how to get it, and he didn't care if it worked or not he wanted what he wanted and by god he was going to get it.

What he really wanted was to be called the next Von Braun, that was the whole point of building "Apollo on steroids". It was a quest for personal glory basically. Like I said, maniac. But not stupid. I think that's the main difference.

But I do admit he made a number of bone-headed statements and decisions in the process :)

I tend to be very skeptical of people's statements with this big of an axe to grind.  No offense Final.  Usually means a lot of emotions or politics are involved and that usually clouds things...

Griffin made some very good statements regarding the poor decision to throw away all of our development of the Apollo program for STS, that was proposed with an impossibly high flight rate, which even had that been technically feasible, there never would have been even close to that number of payloads.  He couldn’t have been more correct there.

Then he goes and passes the most obvious choices for a successor to the shuttle in utilizing existing EELV assets and evolving them, or going with as directly shuttle derived as possible with something like Direct.  Even before some of the CxP issues came up later, that 1.5 architecture wasn’t the best utilization of existing STS and EELV development. 

So I’m not sure what to think about how he seemed to know the right choices, but just didn’t make them…

Offline Go4TLI

• Liked: 94
« Reply #1706 on: 06/01/2012 11:11 PM »
Quote from: Tea Party Space Czar

I cannot wait to do a video like this on Sierra Nevada... or even... dare I say... ATK.

It is pretty clear that ATK is your enemy.  Liberty is based off of Ares 1.  How does the Tea Party in Space reconcile that?
« Last Edit: 06/01/2012 11:36 PM by Go4TLI »

Offline tigerade

• Low Earth Orbit
  • Liked: 50
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #1707 on: 06/01/2012 11:20 PM »
Guys please.  I don't wish to be a mini-mod but Chris has clearly stated this is a Party thread and not a debate thread.

Meaning, Kool Aid and Ponies are freely given out to all.  even Jim gets a pony this time around. ;D

Offline wolfpack

• Wake Forest, NC
  • Liked: 87
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #1708 on: 06/02/2012 12:21 AM »
Guys please.  I don't wish to be a mini-mod but Chris has clearly stated this is a Party thread and not a debate thread.

Meaning, Kool Aid and Ponies are freely given out to all.  even Jim gets a pony this time around. ;D

I'd prefer to give Jim a beer (or twelve), and then see what comes out! ;)

Party on, SpaceX!

Party on, Wayne!

:)

Offline FinalFrontier

• Space Watcher
  • Liked: 255
  • Likes Given: 131
« Reply #1709 on: 06/02/2012 01:14 AM »

I am waiting for the falcon9 v 1.1 announcement/update ect.

Want to see the new documentation for that.
3-30-2017: The start of a great future
"Live Long and Prosper"

Offline Alpha Control

• Veteran
  • Washington, DC
  • Liked: 106
  • Likes Given: 68
« Reply #1710 on: 06/02/2012 01:57 AM »
Agree with the above comments - let's keep political discussions off this thread. This is a celebratory thread for SpaceX's success!

And in that spirit, did folks see the NASA homepage today? A lot of good items on commercial space.

The terrific picture of Dragon on the recovery barge, with Old Glory proudly displayed, plus a link to the P3 Chase Plane video of Dragon's descent and splashdown (labeled "Historic" by NASA!), as well as a video link to the SNC Dream Chaser Captive-Carry flight this week.

Pretty impressive!

David
« Last Edit: 06/02/2012 01:58 AM by Alpha Control »
Space launches attended:
Antares/Cygnus ORB-D1 Wallops Island, VA Sept 2013 | STS-123 KSC, FL March 2008 | SpaceShipOne Mojave, CA June 2004

Offline R.Simko

« Reply #1711 on: 06/02/2012 02:19 AM »
Thankyou Alpha for posting the photo of Dragon with Old Glory flying next to it.  When I looked at Old Glory flying there, it reminded be of the famous photo of Old Glory on the moon.

SpaceX and NASA has given us all a lot to celebrate in the coming days.  Even though today is SpaceX's day, we should also recognize that there are other fine companies out there that are working very hard to extend our reach again to LEO and beyond.

My hat is off to all of you involved in extending our reach beyond Earth.

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1026
  • Likes Given: 234
« Reply #1712 on: 06/02/2012 02:52 AM »
Personally, to be really retro, they need a 48 star flag!
If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Offline Cinder

• Liked: 51
  • Likes Given: 188
« Reply #1713 on: 06/02/2012 03:57 AM »
Wouldn't have been quite right if any at SpaceX are from Alaska or Hawaii.
The pork must flow.

Offline Alpha Control

• Veteran
  • Washington, DC
  • Liked: 106
  • Likes Given: 68
« Reply #1714 on: 06/03/2012 03:28 AM »
Thankyou Alpha for posting the photo of Dragon with Old Glory flying next to it.  When I looked at Old Glory flying there, it reminded be of the famous photo of Old Glory on the moon.

SpaceX and NASA has given us all a lot to celebrate in the coming days.  Even though today is SpaceX's day, we should also recognize that there are other fine companies out there that are working very hard to extend our reach again to LEO and beyond.

My hat is off to all of you involved in extending our reach beyond Earth.

Thanks for your comments, R.Simko. This is indeed a positive boost for all the companies in the commercial arena. I was glad to see that photo on the NASA homepage. It is a great image for all Americans, and all who follow spaceflight, to be proud of.

In reflecting on the spectacular success of this mission, I thought of another interesting first for it: this is the first-ever vehicle to return to earth from the ISS via ocean splashdown - all other vehicles that were designed to return (Shuttle & Soyuz) used land-based touchdowns. The last time a space station used ocean splashdown for returning vehicles was Skylab.
Space launches attended:
Antares/Cygnus ORB-D1 Wallops Island, VA Sept 2013 | STS-123 KSC, FL March 2008 | SpaceShipOne Mojave, CA June 2004

Offline kirghizstan

• Liked: 139
  • Likes Given: 74
« Reply #1715 on: 06/03/2012 03:30 AM »
Did we ever find out what the special cargo was?

Offline QuantumG

• Australia
  • Liked: 2949
  • Likes Given: 707
« Reply #1716 on: 06/03/2012 05:12 AM »
Did we ever find out what the special cargo was?

Elon said that he was unaware of any special cargo.
Jeff Bezos has billions to spend on rockets and can go at whatever pace he likes! Wow! What pace is he going at? Well... have you heard of Zeno's paradox?

Offline JohnFornaro

• Not an expert
  • Delta-t is the salient metric.
  • Planet Eaarth
    • Design / Program Associates
  • Liked: 610
  • Likes Given: 314
« Reply #1717 on: 06/03/2012 03:25 PM »

http://www.spacepolitics.com/2012/05/28/congressional-and-other-reaction-to-the-spacex-dragon-berthing/

Not everyone was in a congratulatory mood, though. "The reality remains that SpaceX has spent hundreds of millions of taxpayer dollars to launch a rocket nearly three years later than planned," Sen. Richard Shelby (R-AL) told the Huntsville Times. "The ‘private’ space race is off to a dilatory start at best, and the commercial space flight market has yet to materialize." ...

Well.

A related reality concerns the billions of dollars wasted on Ares.  With this remark, I'd say that Mr. Nelson Shelby has made clear that his preference is to be part of the problem, and not part of the solution.

[Edit 06-04-12:  Wrong Senator!]
« Last Edit: 06/04/2012 12:38 PM by JohnFornaro »
Sometimes I just flat out don't get it.

Offline R.Simko

« Reply #1718 on: 06/03/2012 04:21 PM »

http://www.spacepolitics.com/2012/05/28/congressional-and-other-reaction-to-the-spacex-dragon-berthing/

Not everyone was in a congratulatory mood, though. "The reality remains that SpaceX has spent hundreds of millions of taxpayer dollars to launch a rocket nearly three years later than planned," Sen. Richard Shelby (R-AL) told the Huntsville Times. "The ‘private’ space race is off to a dilatory start at best, and the commercial space flight market has yet to materialize." ...

Well.

A related reality concerns the billions of dollars wasted on Ares.  With this remark, I'd say that Mr. Nelson has made clear that his preference is to be part of the problem, and not part of the solution.

John, the quote you posted was not from Mr. Nelson, did you put his name in by mistake?

Offline FinalFrontier

• Space Watcher
  • Liked: 255
  • Likes Given: 131
« Reply #1719 on: 06/03/2012 04:28 PM »

Well.

A related reality concerns the billions of dollars wasted on Ares.  With this remark, I'd say that Mr. Nelson has made clear that his preference is to be part of the problem, and not part of the solution.

You mean Mr. Shelby. Not Mr. Nelson.

And yes Shelby is the oldest and most original griffinite he will never change. The only thing he wants is a giant pork rocket he could care less whether it flys or not, IMO he hates SLS as well because its not as big, he was an avant defender of CXP until the very end, and was opposed to SLS until he risked his career by not changing sides.

So the best thing to do with people like him and griffin is simply turn the volume dial down to zero and ignore them as they are irrelevant considering the rest of the country is moving on without them  ;)
3-30-2017: The start of a great future
"Live Long and Prosper"

Tags: