Author Topic: SpaceX COTS Demo 1 Updates  (Read 638940 times)

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
  • Liked: 3429
  • Likes Given: 741
Re: COTS Demo 1
« Reply #1040 on: 12/08/2010 01:38 pm »
I think his point is "ABORT, ABORT, ABORT...no wait guys, don't pull the big handle that says....oops, too late"

With 3+ years until crewed flight, I think he has sufficient time to learn...

Offline TimL

• Sailor Tim
  • Tidal mudflats of Virginia
  • Liked: 33
  • Likes Given: 139
« Reply #1041 on: 12/08/2010 01:39 pm »
"Let me put it this way, Mr. Amor. The 9000 series is the most reliable computer ever made. No 9000 computer has ever made a mistake or distorted information. We are all, by any practical definition of the words, foolproof and incapable of error."
"Well if we get lost, we'll just pull in someplace and ask for directions"

Offline joncz

• Veteran
  • Atlanta, Georgia
  • Liked: 296
  • Likes Given: 390
« Reply #1042 on: 12/08/2010 01:40 pm »
And what do you say when crew is onboard?

Aboard, aboard, aboard.

::)

Offline hernick

• Liked: 41
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #1043 on: 12/08/2010 01:42 pm »
Jump out! Jump out! Jump out!

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25240
  • Likes Given: 12115
« Reply #1044 on: 12/08/2010 01:42 pm »
And what do you say when crew is onboard?

Aboard, aboard, aboard.

::)
What do you say when the Swedish Chef is aboard and that happens?
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline TimL

• Sailor Tim
  • Tidal mudflats of Virginia
  • Liked: 33
  • Likes Given: 139
« Reply #1045 on: 12/08/2010 01:48 pm »
I thought the whole point of this automated process was to ensure "the passengers" don't have a big handle to pull...and inadvertently abort a multi-million dollar launch because they're just passengers and not pilots?
« Last Edit: 12/08/2010 01:48 pm by TimL »
"Well if we get lost, we'll just pull in someplace and ask for directions"

Offline Halidon

• whereabouts unknown
  • Liked: 180
  • Likes Given: 533
« Reply #1046 on: 12/08/2010 02:37 pm »
I really appreciated the little live mini-interview SpaceX did just before the countdown resumed for attempt #2. Good information presented in an open and friendly manner.

Offline KSC Engineer

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #1047 on: 12/08/2010 02:41 pm »
Oh, I thought comparing current providers at current pricing for similar services was a legitimate way to see if they had "similar prices" or not. How about commercial crew then? SpaceX President Gwynne Shotwell guaranteed launches cheaper than the Russians. How about them apples? Are people not worth as much as several hundred million dollar spacecraft?

I really thought it was wiser to compare current scenarios rather than future, speculative scenarios which one cannot actually provide evidence for. ::)

Commercial crew is a "future, speculative scenario". 

And I am talking current scenarios, the cost/price to contract one F9.

Give it up, you don't know what you are talking about.  Just keep guzzling the koolade.

Jim I agree.  It is amazing the people who come on this site and argue as if they have all the data.  I don't know everything but when I make a point - its is based on 30 years of experience at the Cape, MSFC and Houston.  I have no ax to grind with any person or launch system.  I truly hope SpaceX is very successful just as I do for Atlas, Delta and two more shuttle flights.  The US needs SpaceX to service ISS and for that I am very supportive.  What irritates me are these "know it all" arm chair engineers who hide behind their monitors and argue stupid stuff all day.  I pointed some things out yesterday that the armchairs didn't like so they attack the sender when they run out of facts then want me to be more specific so they can attack those items - on and on with the koolaid.    Gets old trying to come and reason with good people who have real knowledge.  In some cases the airchairs are probably smart engineers on a specific system and believe that they have all the knowledge all the way to WDC.  I know I did when I was a young engineer at the Cape.   What they don't realize is they don't understand how things work a few levels above.   

Offline Zoomer30

• Veteran
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #1048 on: 12/08/2010 02:56 pm »
Might be a bit early but WUHOO 2 for 2. All this Falcon 9 knows how to do is make orbit every time. Wonder if they stlill had that abrupt roll at t zero like the last time.

Offline Zoomer30

• Veteran
« Reply #1049 on: 12/08/2010 03:00 pm »
I think SpaceX learned from the last launch that they NEED good press and PR as much as a good flight. Not keeping CNN informed of the countdown the last time cost them z bit of exposure (I know they have to keep some stuff secert)

Offline Aeroman

• Liked: 2
« Reply #1050 on: 12/08/2010 03:01 pm »
No roll to speak of, just a little fireball on the pad from what looks like an external hose leak or something (just guessing).

Offline Ben the Space Brit

• A spaceflight fan
  • London, UK
  • Liked: 806
  • Likes Given: 900
« Reply #1051 on: 12/08/2010 03:37 pm »
Significantly, upper stage guidence and control worked perfectly as far as I could see.  There also wasn't vapour venting from the vent just to the left and above the steering nozzle either.  They definately fixed a lot of stuff on this one.
"Oops! I left the silly thing in reverse!" - Duck Dodgers

~*~*~*~

The Space Shuttle Program - 1981-2011

The time for words has passed; The time has come to put up or shut up!
DON'T PROPAGANDISE, FLY!!!

Offline jongoff

• Recovering Rocket Plumber/Space Entrepreneur
  • Lafayette/Broomfield, CO
  • Liked: 3987
  • Likes Given: 1684
« Reply #1052 on: 12/08/2010 03:47 pm »
I really appreciated the little live mini-interview SpaceX did just before the countdown resumed for attempt #2. Good information presented in an open and friendly manner.

Unfortunately I missed that part.  One of the three on-air personalities was a good friend of mine, Kevin (K-Bro) Brogan.  He was the guy who designed the Kestrel engine during SpaceX's early days. 

~Jon

Offline JohnFornaro

• Not an expert
  • Delta-t is an important metric.
  • Planet Eaarth
    • Design / Program Associates
  • Liked: 1257
  • Likes Given: 724
« Reply #1053 on: 12/08/2010 04:11 pm »
You don't know the price of a launch and not talking ISS cargo

I know the price of most of their contracts. So there's that.

The published contracts have a lot of asterisks in them.  Many in the the areas of price.  Do you have inside knowledge?

Elon to Gwynne:  How many times have I told you not to sign contracts with any asterisks?
Sometimes I just flat out don't get it.

Offline Mader Levap

• Liked: 447
  • Likes Given: 561
« Reply #1054 on: 12/08/2010 04:16 pm »
A blind squirrel gets the nut sometimes.
I am usually lurker and I am nothing more than interested space enthusiast. I also am sorry for pulling something from previous day.

What caused me to do this is Jim reputation and his statement here. I am concerned, because I see here very serious disrepancy.

Why? So many people, Jim included, constantly say (rightly so) that rocket science is literally very hard. Yet we have statement about company, that pulled off now four successful flights in row, that it is "blind squirrel".

Is space and rocketry so easy that anyone can launch successfully four times in row by blind luck?

With all due respect, Jim, but I do not think so. You cannot eat cake and have cake. Thats all.
Be successful.  Then tell the haters to (BLEEP) off. - deruch
...and if you have failure, tell it anyway.

Offline Crispy

• London
  • Liked: 783
  • Likes Given: 51
« Reply #1055 on: 12/08/2010 04:19 pm »

Unfortunately I missed that part.  One of the three on-air personalities was a good friend of mine, Kevin (K-Bro) Brogan.  He was the guy who designed the Kestrel engine during SpaceX's early days. 

~Jon

Please congratulate him on his excellent engine designing, and his moustache :)

Offline JohnFornaro

• Not an expert
  • Delta-t is an important metric.
  • Planet Eaarth
    • Design / Program Associates
  • Liked: 1257
  • Likes Given: 724
« Reply #1056 on: 12/08/2010 04:30 pm »
As they say, where you stand depends on where you sit.

Too excellent.  From where I sit, the first "sputnik" moment was on the first launch when they started F9, shut it down, then started it up again.  Now they gotta guy out there with a Sawzall?  "Take a couple of inches off that nozzle, Jackson."

That's confidence.  And I like it.

Is space and rocketry so easy that anyone can launch successfully four times in row by blind luck?

With all due respect, Jim, but I do not think so. You cannot eat cake and have cake. Thats all.

Now that's a first post for ya.
Sometimes I just flat out don't get it.

Offline KSC Engineer

• Likes Given: 1
« Reply #1057 on: 12/08/2010 04:38 pm »
Good news:  part of a group of nano-satellites commonly known as the Grey Whale mission and Cubesat has deployed and are communicating.

Offline Lars_J

• California
  • Liked: 677
  • Likes Given: 195
« Reply #1058 on: 12/08/2010 04:50 pm »
Good news indeed - Is there a link/page somewhere with more information about these payloads and their missions?

Offline Space Lizard

• Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #1059 on: 12/08/2010 05:34 pm »
Are we still talking about two NRO Colony 1 cubesats, two LANL cubesats and a single SMDC-ONE cubesat, or did I miss something?
I watch rockets

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography