Author Topic: SpaceX Falcon 9 v1.1 CRS-3 Splashdown Video Repair Task Thread  (Read 1201487 times)

I doesn't seem like rocket science, but it does seem like a lot of work specially on the online tool side (we don't want you to hate us Iaincole). Ideas?

VCSes - version control systems - are really good at moralec's database problem. One idea is to shoehorn this into a VCS by using a VCS as storage.

Here's one way to do that: force MMB lists into a VCS friendly format, by
a) breaking up the MMBs into one per line [VCSes tend to work best on whole lines at a time] and
b) sort the MMBs into a standard sort order, most likely the raster order most folks are already used to.  [EDIT: I guess this isn't strictly necessary, but may make IainCole's life easier]
c) Then you need to always check in and out of the VCS via something that understands the format. IainCole's website, or some other website, for example, would be the only entity with access to the VCS. This website would be responsible for parsing raw MMBs, and providing the MMBs back in a ffmpeg-friendly format.
d) Ideally this file format would have comments to allow for notes and simple alternatives. The VCS would be responsible for full 'branches' [git/mercurial is good for this].

And then a flat file format might come in handy in other ways.

There are other ways: you could use raw RCS diffs to manage things; you could find a diff program that's really good at big long lines (most aren't); you can code up the delta checking by hand; you can simply store all the MMBs ever in groups, normalized in the database, for users to sort out; etc.

This was pretty much exactly my suggestion here: http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=34597.msg1207365#msg1207365

The added bonus being that the online editor is already using that file to load MMBs.

People can either submit MMBs by pull request, or a few key people can be made collaborators on that git repo to add them in based off submissions to the wiki.

Edit: There's obviously some administrative overhead with making sure that the wiki / json file are in sync, but short of writing a new system to do the job of both things, I think it's the simplest option.
« Last Edit: 05/31/2014 08:28 pm by IainCole »

Offline cscott

• Liked: 2867
  • Likes Given: 726
Re: SpaceX Falcon 9 v1.1 CRS-3 Splashdown Video Repair Task Thread
« Reply #1221 on: 05/31/2014 08:29 pm »
VCSes - version control systems - are really good at moralec's database problem. One idea is to shoehorn this into a VCS by using a VCS as storage.

Suggestion: store the data in github, and use https://github.com/creationix/js-git to access it/commit new versions.

Offline Lourens

• The Netherlands
  • Liked: 206
  • Likes Given: 304
« Reply #1222 on: 05/31/2014 10:02 pm »
Hi guys,

I've been busy trying to let the decoder output the bits and their interpretation of all the (macro)block parts. And I think I have succeeded. I still need to clean it up and make it compatible/configurable with the existing codebase. But I wanted to share some details so others (mainly @IainCole) can already start thinking/working on an extention of the online tool. Also for others to get used to the idea.

I think it will bring us to the next level.  8)

Thanks, arnezami, great work! I've been using your previous version with my automated bit flipper, and it still doesn't work. But that's due to the objective function not yet being good enough, and maybe (hopefully not) due to the search algorithm being too greedy. I'll keep working on it, and I'll integrate the new version.

In the mean time, I've seen a few posts by people saying that they have no idea what's going on. That's usually my position (especially with ISS stuff, acronym soup alert!), but now I'm coming from the other side, so I'll make an attempt at an explanation of all the stuff that's going on here. Hopefully, that will allow more people to help fix things. I'll probably make a mistake here and there and/or oversimplify something, so if you spot an error, let me know and I'll fix the text.

MPEG4

The damaged video stream that SpaceX made available is in the MPEG4 format. MPEG4 is a standard that says how you should convert a video into a list of ones and zeros and back, in such a way as to make that list nice and short so you can download it quickly. A video here is a sequence of pictures, each of which consists of a rectangle of pixels. Each of the pixels has a colour, expressed as the amount of Red light, the amount of Green light, and the amount of Blue light. That's what we're trying to pack into the MPEG4 file. What I'm going to describe here is the procedure for converting video from the Falcon 9 camera into the MPEG4 bitstream that we have. To turn this back into a picture, you just do everything in reverse.

Downsampling and colour space conversion

So, we take the first picture, and we split it up into a set of 16x16 pixel squares, called macroblocks (MBs), which we can process separately. The SpaceX video has 44 MBs horizontally and 30 MBs vertically. We convert each pixel in the macroblock from Red-Green-Blue (RGB) into a brightness value (Luma or Y) and two additional values that describe the colour (Chroma or C). Since the human eye doesn't see as much detail in colour as it does in brightness, we the average each 2x2 pixel block of chroma values, halving the resolution of the two sets of chroma values to 8x8. So, of the original 16x16x3 = 768 numbers in the macroblock, we now have 16x16 + 8x8 + 8x8 = 384 numbers. That's a 50% reduction in space already! If we split the 16x16 block of Luma numbers into 4 8x8 blocks, then we have a total of 6 8x8 blocks per macroblock.

Discrete Cosine Transform

Next, we apply to each 8x8 block a mathematical trick called the Discrete Cosine Transform (DCT). The outcome of the DCT is another 8x8 block of numbers, one of which is simply the average of all 64 numbers, and the other 63 describe the differences (e.g. how much brighter the left half is than the right half, and 62 other patterns). The average is called the DC value, the differences are the AC values. Another way of interpreting this is to say that the DC value describes the overall brightness and colour, while the AC values describe the texture of the block.

If you look at arnezami's BITLOG output, then you see dc_lum0, dc_lum1, dc_lum2, dc_lum3, dc_chrom4 and dc_chrom5. These are the DC values of the six blocks in the macroblock.

Quantisation

In itself, the DCT does not save any space. The reason we do this DCT, is that it turns out that for most blocks in your typical image, most of the resulting 64 values are 0, or close to 0. Also, small errors in these numbers do not make the image look much worse. So, the next step is to quantise these values, which basically means dividing them by a given number, and rounding to a whole number again. Smaller values use less digits (bits, in this case), so that saves space, and if we store the value that we divided by, then the player can multiply by it and get almost the correct values to put into its inverse DCT.

If you quantise too much, then you get those typical artifacts around sharp edges that you sometimes see in JPEG images. Do it right, and you can save quite a lot of space with little degradation in image quality. In this post, another problem was found: transmission damage resulted in the decoder reading a quantisation factor of 4, rather than 1. Thus, it multiplied in this case the chroma (colour) values by 4 instead of by 1, resulting in overly intense colours. Changing the 4 back to a 1 fixed the image.

DC and AC prediction

The basic idea of the DCT is that all those pixels in a block usually have quite a lot in common (DC value), so it helps to store what they have in common once, and then add only a short description of the few differences (the quantised AC values) here and there. After we've done the above for all the macroblocks in an image, we can try to apply the same trick across the macroblocks. For example, adjacent macroblocks often have roughly the same colour, and thus similar DC values for their six blocks. If we order the macroblocks in reading order (left-to-right and top-to-bottom), then we can store the difference of the DC values of the six blocks relative to the corresponding ones for the left or top neighbour macroblock. This again results in shorter numbers and space savings. Actually, since texture is also often similar between adjacent macroblocks, we can do the same with the AC values (if ac_pred equals 1, that's what's happening). And with the quantisation multiplier: if you see a dquant value then that's a difference as well.

It gets even better. Sometimes, the differences between a current block and the corresponding block in a neighbouring MB that we're using for reference, are so small that we can just drop them altogether. In that case, we don't need to store anything about this block at all. The cbpc (for chroma blocks) and cbpy (luma blocks) values specify for which blocks in this macroblock information is stored (see tables B-6 through B-11 in the standard document linked from the wiki).

This does introduce a dependency between macroblocks. If one macroblock gets damaged and is decoded incorrectly, all the other macroblocks that are encoded as differences relative to this one will also be wrong. Overwriting the damaged macroblock with one that looks about right gives the dependent macroblocks a good reference again, and if there are no other errors will allow them to be decoded (more or less) correctly. In this way, a single -mmb command, which disables and/or fixes broken macroblocks, can fix a whole chunk of the image. The -mmb -1:x:y and similar commands do different kinds of resetting broken blocks.

Variable length coding

As you've probably noticed, we're moving a lot of numbers around here. We've used various tricks already to make those numbers smaller, and thus shorter. There's another trick we can apply if some numbers occur more often than others, and that is to translate each number into a code. A code is simply another number, but the trick is that commonly occurring numbers have a shorter code, while uncommon numbers have a longer code. Thus, we lose a bit of space on uncommon numbers, but gain a lot on common numbers. MPEG4 refers to this as variable length coding (VLC).

As a result of this, most numbers that you see in arnezami's debug output do not actually occur in the file as the corresponding binary number, and a single flipped bit can result in a very different value. In fact, it can completely mess up decoding if the flipped bit results in a shorter or longer code being read. The decoder will then start reading the next value too early or too late, causing another misread, lots of error messages, and colourful junk for output. Sometimes, this can be fixed by manually restarting the decoding process of the next (or a later subsequent) macroblock at the correct position. That's what the -mmb x:y:position commands do. Usually, you want to combine this with a reset (see above) just before the restart, to give the differential values something to reference.

I-frames and P-frames

So, if you've done the above for a whole picture, then you have an I-frame. I-frames are frames that stand alone, they contain all the information to decode the whole picture. As far as we currently know (and we're pretty sure I think) the SpaceX video contains 15 such I-frames, every 20th frame is one. The other 269 frames are P-frames. A P-frame uses the store-only-differences trick between frames. So, if there are parts of the picture that are the same as in the previous frame (e.g. the rocket body at the bottom of the image), then a P-frame will not store them at all. If there are parts that still look the same, but have moved, then the P-frame will contain a motion vector, which tells the decoder where to find it in the previous frame. So, to decode a P-frame, you need to fix the last I-frame before it, plus all the P-frames in between that I-frame and the P-frame, to get a correct reference image for the P-frame to use.

Transport Stream

Doing all the above yields a list of ones and zeros that describe a video. However, it's only the video. In this case that's all we have, but usually you also have audio, and sometimes multiple sound and video tracks, subtitles, station information, etc., that all have to be combined into a single file or stream. This is where the Transport Stream (TS) comes in. It works by splitting the bits for each substream into 188-byte chunks called packets. The packets are numbered sequentially, and contain a description of which stream they belong to and what kind of content it contains. The decoder unravels this, picks out the video data, and decodes it as described above.

Thanks mainly to Shanuson and Princess, we now have the TS packets all fixed up, and I think we've also got the starting points for (almost) all the MPEG4 frames. So what remains is fixing those up. It's one epic jigsaw puzzle, but then I hear it takes several months to get to Mars, and this particular jigsaw puzzle is zero-g compatible :).

There is much much much more to be said about MPEG4 (the standard document linked from the wiki is 536 pages!), but I think I've covered most of the stuff that's been discussed in this thread (which is the limit of on-topicness I guess) and we've also pretty much reached the end of my current knowledge. So I'll leave it at this. If anything is unclear or wrong, please post or PM me and I'll try to fix it, or if you have questions, ask!

Offline princess

• Liked: 106
  • Likes Given: 25
« Reply #1223 on: 06/01/2014 12:05 am »
Thanks mainly to Shanuson and Princess, we now have the TS packets all fixed up

Thank you for that Lourens! It's great to get a mention like that, it makes the effort all worthwhile.

I don't think the TS work is quite over yet - we've definitely found the start points for all the I- and P-frames, but as I mentioned in an earlier post we still have one or two issues aligning the ends properly.

The second byte of a TS packet's adaptation field is a set of flags, and none of these should be set on the last data packet in an MPEG4 frame (i.e. this byte should be zero). There are four frames where this byte is not zero, indicating definite corruption in the adaptation field:

P-frame 13: Corrupt in packet 982, the header is too short and padding bytes have been inserted into the MPEG4 stream.
P-frame 14: Corrupt in packet 1059, the header is too short and padding bytes have been inserted into the MPEG4 stream.
P-frame 87: Corrupt in packet 6869, however the header length seems correct and the MPEG4 data should be aligned.
P-frame 95: Corrupt in packet 7507, the header is too long, and valid MPEG4 data will be skipped by the decoder.

There are other places where visually the boundary between padding and MPEG4 data in the last packet of a frame seems wrong:

P-frame 4: AF marked as absent incorrectly, padding bytes in MPEG4 stream
P-frame 12: AF looks too long (MPEG4 data lost)
P-frame 15: AF marked as absent incorrectly, padding bytes in MPEG4 stream
P-frame 16: AF looks too short (padding bytes inserted into MPEG4 stream)
I-frame 21: Corruption around the existing boundary between AF and data (many 0xff data bytes indicate AF may be too short?)
P-frame 31: AF looks too long (MPEG4 data lost)
P-frame 43: AF marked as absent incorrectly, padding bytes in MPEG4 stream
P-frame 138: AF marked as absent incorrectly, padding bytes in MPEG4 stream
P-frame 155: AF marked as absent incorrectly, padding bytes in MPEG4 stream
P-frame 188: AF marked as length zero, padding bytes in MPEG4 stream
P-frame 194: AF marked as absent incorrectly, padding bytes in MPEG4 stream
P-frame 218: AF marked as absent incorrectly, padding bytes in MPEG4 stream

The following P-frames are marked as having no AF, which (although valid) seems to occur too often. These frames are worth a closer look, but may be already valid:

7, 24, 133, 185, 231, 254

So people who are working on MMBs for any of these frames, please be aware that there may be corruption on the last few macroblocks, but that we might be able to fix it at the TS level. It would be great to get feedback from the MMB guys as I'm no expert on the MPEG4-level stuff!

Offline Quialiss

• Liked: 82
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #1224 on: 06/01/2014 01:15 am »
Hello, I'm not from around here... I've been working on restoring frames though. 

I frames 6, 7, 8, and 12(though mhenderson has already mostly restored 12) all have new data in them that invalidates the old MMBs for them. 

If someone could find out for each of these frames

1) where new data starts
2) how many bits are in the new piece of data

We can apply those offsets to the old MMBs, and they'll look as good as they did before. I can do this, I built a script to test the concept and it works really well, I just need the offsets, as there are multiple places data is added in the frames and finding them manually is a PITA. 

After that's done, we can improve the frames in the areas where there's new data.

Offline QuantumG

• Australia
  • Liked: 4477
  • Likes Given: 1108
« Reply #1225 on: 06/01/2014 01:54 am »
Hello, I'm not from around here... I've been working on restoring frames though. 

Welcome to the forum!
Human spaceflight is basically just LARPing now.

Offline Quialiss

« Reply #1226 on: 06/01/2014 02:40 am »

Would it be possible to add a slider to enhance the image contrast? It helps a lot for repairing the p-frames but I have to use an image viewer to do this currently.

Thank you again for your great work!

I came up with a very crude way to do this in the editor this morning.  Flip bits in the VOP quant to make it intentionally the wrong value, like what was wrong with frame 239.  Flipping the 1st/2nd/3rd bit at X:59 generally gets the desired high contrast.  It definitely makes lining up those very subtle movement vectors much easier, just remember to get rid of the flip when you're done. 

Offline arnezami

• Liked: 267
  • Likes Given: 378
« Reply #1227 on: 06/01/2014 05:37 am »
In the mean time, I've seen a few posts by people saying that they have no idea what's going on. That's usually my position (especially with ISS stuff, acronym soup alert!), but now I'm coming from the other side, so I'll make an attempt at an explanation of all the stuff that's going on here. Hopefully, that will allow more people to help fix things. I'll probably make a mistake here and there and/or oversimplify something, so if you spot an error, let me know and I'll fix the text.

<snip>

Wauw!! Great explanation man! :D

This needs to be put on a prominent place on the wiki. For sure.

Thanks for that. A lot.

Regards,

arnezami

Offline arnezami

« Reply #1228 on: 06/01/2014 05:40 am »
Thanks mainly to Shanuson and Princess, we now have the TS packets all fixed up

Thank you for that Lourens! It's great to get a mention like that, it makes the effort all worthwhile.

Well princess you definitely deserve the credit. You and Shanuson did the majority of the extraction work. Which is huge. And you did very well together! This is vital to our effort. So very big thanks to you two.

Keep up the good work!

Regards,

arnezami

Offline arnezami

« Reply #1229 on: 06/01/2014 05:50 am »

I frames 6, 7, 8, and 12(though mhenderson has already mostly restored 12) all have new data in them that invalidates the old MMBs for them. 

If someone could find out for each of these frames

1) where new data starts
2) how many bits are in the new piece of data

We can apply those offsets to the old MMBs, and they'll look as good as they did before. I can do this, I built a script to test the concept and it works really well, I just need the offsets, as there are multiple places data is added in the frames and finding them manually is a PITA. 

After that's done, we can improve the frames in the areas where there's new data.
Welcome Quialiss!  8)

I've seen you on the wiki a lot. You did a lot of work on the P-frames there!

You are very welcome to this forum.

Regards,

arnezami

PS. Also @SwissCheese: you are beyond belief when it comes to fixing frames: incredibly good. You might actually be the most dedicated of the bunch. So precise.

Offline Req

• Liked: 434
  • Likes Given: 2580
« Reply #1230 on: 06/01/2014 06:05 am »
If you guys have use for an extremely robust MySQL instance that listens on a public port(ideally restricted to the slapbet/wiki webservers IPs, though) on a fast connection that is ridiculously well-routed/peered and won't be going anywhere, I can set that up for you.  It would be on a(redundant) system(s) with PCIe flash storage for the tablespace, 40 i7 xeon cores, and 128GB ram per member.

Would be happy to provide phpmyadmin access to whoever needs it as well if desired.  And I always retain binary logs and automated systems create binary-log-position-stamped backups from the slave, so there's a very high degree of data integrity and also flexibility if you wanted to "re-write history", as it were, by modifying the binary logs and replaying them from an arbitrary position.
« Last Edit: 06/01/2014 06:43 am by Req »

Offline wronkiew

• 34.502327, -116.971697
  • Liked: 105
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #1231 on: 06/01/2014 06:05 am »
Clock demo! Frames 101-120, running at half speed.

Offline wronkiew

• 34.502327, -116.971697
  • Liked: 105
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #1232 on: 06/01/2014 07:20 am »
Clock demo! Frames 101-120, running at half speed.

I've put a page up on the Wiki detailing the process and listing the current set of clockfix files. I'll put up an online editor as soon as I can, but I warn you that it will be nowhere near as fancy as IainCole's.

http://spacexlanding.wikispaces.com/Fixing+the+clock
« Last Edit: 06/01/2014 07:20 am by wronkiew »

Offline Quialiss

« Reply #1233 on: 06/01/2014 09:17 am »
Thanks for the welcome guys.  :)

I've been playing a bit more with the concept of shifting the mmb corrections for the new ts files so we don't  have to completely redo the i frames.  I haven't been able to find a good way to FIND what offsets are needed, but they sure do clean up the file in a hurry. 

This is a proof of concept of frame 101, using the previous MMB sequence. I offset all MMB corrections past 27000 by 1824, and past 53631 by 2480, with the top half blanked out because I haven't found the correct offset(s) for it.  Almost as good as it was before.

Also attached is the python script I'm using to apply offsets.  Not attached are my fruitless attempts to automate finding the values for those offsets.   :-\ 

The best manual way to find them is to look at the new, raw iframe, find a recognizable feature on it, note the position in the bitstream, look at the old, corrected iframe, find the same feature, subtract the two locations, apply that offset to the MMB using the script, and then see how the modified MMB looks on the new frame. 

Offline SwissCheese

• Liked: 256
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #1234 on: 06/01/2014 09:49 am »

Would it be possible to add a slider to enhance the image contrast? It helps a lot for repairing the p-frames but I have to use an image viewer to do this currently.

Thank you again for your great work!

I came up with a very crude way to do this in the editor this morning.  Flip bits in the VOP quant to make it intentionally the wrong value, like what was wrong with frame 239.  Flipping the 1st/2nd/3rd bit at X:59 generally gets the desired high contrast.  It definitely makes lining up those very subtle movement vectors much easier, just remember to get rid of the flip when you're done.

Oo, that's a very good idea, works well!

Offline SwissCheese

• Liked: 256
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #1235 on: 06/01/2014 09:54 am »
Thanks for the welcome guys.  :)

I've been playing a bit more with the concept of shifting the mmb corrections for the new ts files so we don't  have to completely redo the i frames.  I haven't been able to find a good way to FIND what offsets are needed, but they sure do clean up the file in a hurry. 

This is a proof of concept of frame 101, using the previous MMB sequence. I offset all MMB corrections past 27000 by 1824, and past 53631 by 2480, with the top half blanked out because I haven't found the correct offset(s) for it.  Almost as good as it was before.

Also attached is the python script I'm using to apply offsets.  Not attached are my fruitless attempts to automate finding the values for those offsets.   :-\ 

The best manual way to find them is to look at the new, raw iframe, find a recognizable feature on it, note the position in the bitstream, look at the old, corrected iframe, find the same feature, subtract the two locations, apply that offset to the MMB using the script, and then see how the modified MMB looks on the new frame.

Yes, that's the way to do it quickly, but we should also check the new data that are causing these offsets, part of it might be good.

Offline Quialiss

« Reply #1236 on: 06/01/2014 10:06 am »
Yes, that's the way to do it quickly, but we should also check the new data that are causing these offsets, part of it might be good.

Yes, we should definitely be looking at the new data once the old work is all aligned, the offsets will show where the new data is.

There are just over 100 changes to frame 101, redoing all that work manually for is not my idea of a good time!

Offline princess

« Reply #1237 on: 06/01/2014 10:31 am »
Yes, we should definitely be looking at the new data once the old work is all aligned, the offsets will show where the new data is.

There are just over 100 changes to frame 101, redoing all that work manually for is not my idea of a good time!

Quialiss, I could come up with a program that could list the MPEG4 decoding offset for each data packet in the TS files, then we could go through and compare the differences between the old and new TS files. It would be a long list, there are 17103 data packets in the current TS file! However, it would give you a definitive list of MPEG4 changes for all the I- and P- frames.

Would this be useful for you?
« Last Edit: 06/01/2014 10:31 am by princess »

Offline Quialiss

« Reply #1238 on: 06/01/2014 10:54 am »

Quialiss, I could come up with a program that could list the MPEG4 decoding offset for each data packet in the TS files, then we could go through and compare the differences between the old and new TS files. It would be a long list, there are 17103 data packets in the current TS file! However, it would give you a definitive list of MPEG4 changes for all the I- and P- frames.

Would this be useful for you?

Yes, this is the information I'd need to do it automatically for the rest of the frames!  I have zero familiarity with mpeg4 encoding, which is why I asked for some help. 

These are the offsets I've found in frame 101, perhaps you can use them to see if you can get the values needed?  There may be some intermediate values between the ones I've found, but these should stay the same. 

(3405,272), (13493,1744), (27000,1824), (53655,2480)

The first values are approximate value, they just have to fall between two MMB's from the previous work, the second is the exact, cumulative number of bits added in the new TS file compared to the old one.

Offline princess

« Reply #1239 on: 06/01/2014 11:30 am »
(3405,272), (13493,1744), (27000,1824), (53655,2480)

The first values are approximate value, they just have to fall between two MMB's from the previous work, the second is the exact, cumulative number of bits added in the new TS file compared to the old one.

At the TS level everything is byte aligned, so the number of bits inserted and the insertion point will always be a multiple of 8 bits.

Just to clarify - in your example above, are the first numbers bit positions in the old TS file? I can make the output in this format for you, listing everything in bit positions instead of bytes. I'll let you know when I have something, but I'm fairly busy today so I can get to work on it more seriously in the evening.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography