Author Topic: Space Ship Two - General Thread (3)  (Read 258533 times)

Offline Dao Angkan

• Liked: 77
  • Likes Given: 44
Re: Space Ship Two - General Thread (3)
« Reply #380 on: 10/20/2017 10:09 pm »
This stuff is difficult, probably a lot more difficult than Branson expected. At least he has stuck with it, and continued to invest in it, rather than cutting his losses and running. I can understand the negativity when companies are financing their plans from others money, but don't really get it when people are spending their own money on their own plans. Surely customers can get a refund if they don't get what they paid for.

Offline Andy Bandy

• California
  • Liked: 110
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #381 on: 10/21/2017 04:01 am »
"There is no discrete physical boundary between the Earth’s atmosphere and outer space. Different organizations have named different altitudes in an attempt to codify space’s official border:

NASA and the US Air Force use the threshold of 50 miles (80 kilometers) to award astronaut wings, recognizing the pilots of the iconic X-15 program that so inspired our own vehicles.
    The “Kármán line” of 100 kilometers (62 miles) is also used, particularly outside of the USA.

Although its exact apogee may vary from flight to flight, SpaceShipTwo is designed to reach altitudes above these thresholds."
http://www.virgingalactic.com/human-spaceflight/your-flight-to-space/

Sir Richard, if we don't exceed those thresholds as outlined on your web page, do we get a refund or re-flight?

The ticket holder agreement stipulates 50 miles. Saying the ship is designed to reach these altitudes is different from saying it will.

Offline john smith 19

• Everyplaceelse
  • Liked: 2431
  • Likes Given: 13606
« Reply #382 on: 10/21/2017 10:19 am »
This stuff is difficult, probably a lot more difficult than Branson expected. At least he has stuck with it, and continued to invest in it, rather than cutting his losses and running. I can understand the negativity when companies are financing their plans from others money, but don't really get it when people are spending their own money on their own plans. Surely customers can get a refund if they don't get what they paid for.
Not really. Branson doens't mind putting the Virgin brand name on the project.

Putting his money in is something else.

Most of the recent money came from an investment fund in the Middle East (Kuwait I think).
MCT ITS BFR SS. The worlds first Methane fueled FFSC engined CFRP SS structure A380 sized aerospaceplane tail sitter capable of Earth & Mars atmospheric flight.First flight to Mars by end of 2022 TBC. T&C apply. Trust nothing. Run your own #s "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof" R. Simberg."Competitve" means cheaper ¬cheap SCramjet proposed 1956. First +ve thrust 2004. US R&D spend to date > $10Bn. #deployed designs. Zero.

Offline Kryten

• Liked: 426
  • Likes Given: 33
« Reply #383 on: 10/21/2017 10:31 am »
Most of the recent money came from an investment fund in the Middle East (Kuwait I think).
Aabar, owned by the government of Abu Dhabi.

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 4548
  • Likes Given: 13523
« Reply #384 on: 10/21/2017 01:48 pm »
"There is no discrete physical boundary between the Earth’s atmosphere and outer space. Different organizations have named different altitudes in an attempt to codify space’s official border:

NASA and the US Air Force use the threshold of 50 miles (80 kilometers) to award astronaut wings, recognizing the pilots of the iconic X-15 program that so inspired our own vehicles.
    The “Kármán line” of 100 kilometers (62 miles) is also used, particularly outside of the USA.

Although its exact apogee may vary from flight to flight, SpaceShipTwo is designed to reach altitudes above these thresholds."
http://www.virgingalactic.com/human-spaceflight/your-flight-to-space/

Sir Richard, if we don't exceed those thresholds as outlined on your web page, do we get a refund or re-flight?

The ticket holder agreement stipulates 50 miles. Saying the ship is designed to reach these altitudes is different from saying it will.
So if on "my' flight we only get to 49 miles, then what??
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator

Offline nacnud

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 981
  • Likes Given: 347
« Reply #385 on: 10/21/2017 05:35 pm »
I think the answers are fairly obvious, once SS2 is flying customers and the performance is known if you don't want the experience on offer then you get a refund on your deposite. If you still want to fly then pay the rest of the fair and away you go.

The only way to know for sure though is to take a look at the contract.

I suspect that it will be worded such that you are paying for a flight on a vehicle, not a specific altitude and that Virgin has the right to change the conditions if needed.
« Last Edit: 10/21/2017 05:36 pm by nacnud »

Offline Andy Bandy

• California
  • Liked: 110
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #386 on: 10/22/2017 01:34 am »
I think the answers are fairly obvious, once SS2 is flying customers and the performance is known if you don't want the experience on offer then you get a refund on your deposite. If you still want to fly then pay the rest of the fair and away you go.

The only way to know for sure though is to take a look at the contract.

I suspect that it will be worded such that you are paying for a flight on a vehicle, not a specific altitude and that Virgin has the right to change the conditions if needed.

A customer agreement was posted a few years ago online. I can't find it now, but it stipulated 50 miles.

Offline john smith 19

• Everyplaceelse
  • Liked: 2431
  • Likes Given: 13606
« Reply #387 on: 10/23/2017 09:41 am »
Aabar, owned by the government of Abu Dhabi.
Thank you for correcting me.
MCT ITS BFR SS. The worlds first Methane fueled FFSC engined CFRP SS structure A380 sized aerospaceplane tail sitter capable of Earth & Mars atmospheric flight.First flight to Mars by end of 2022 TBC. T&C apply. Trust nothing. Run your own #s "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof" R. Simberg."Competitve" means cheaper ¬cheap SCramjet proposed 1956. First +ve thrust 2004. US R&D spend to date > $10Bn. #deployed designs. Zero.

Offline FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81685
  • Likes Given: 36941
« Reply #388 on: 10/24/2017 07:00 pm »
It’s official: FAA has added our future home base @Spaceport_NM as an approved launch site in our operator license. We are getting #NMReady

https://twitter.com/virgingalactic/status/922900185465982977

Offline Barrie

• Planets are a waste of space
  • Liked: 242
  • Likes Given: 3815
« Reply #389 on: 10/24/2017 07:10 pm »

You get a 2% refund?      ???

Offline nacnud

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 981
  • Likes Given: 347
« Reply #390 on: 10/24/2017 07:16 pm »

You get a 2% refund?      ???

and then move the operation to Denver.

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 4548
  • Likes Given: 13523
« Reply #391 on: 10/24/2017 07:35 pm »
Or get an "attack-dog" lawyer like Roy Cohn...
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
« Reply #392 on: 10/25/2017 05:30 pm »
It’s official: FAA has added our future home base @Spaceport_NM as an approved launch site in our operator license. We are getting #NMReady

https://twitter.com/virgingalactic/status/922900185465982977

The revised license has now been posted on-line (attached).

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
« Reply #393 on: 10/26/2017 02:55 pm »
Cross-posting for info, suggest keep follow-ups in original thread:

Wow:

Press release: Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund (PIF) has announced plans to invest $1 billion in Virgin Galactic, TSC, Virgin Orbit.

https://twitter.com/jeff_foust/status/923560891647488000

The release describes this as a “a non-binding Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for a partnership” with option for addl. $480M investment.

https://twitter.com/jeff_foust/status/923561188658688000

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3974
  • Likes Given: 220

Offline Darkseraph

• Liked: 475
  • Likes Given: 152
« Reply #395 on: 10/26/2017 09:59 pm »
http://www.parabolicarc.com/2017/10/26/virgin-galactics-spaceshipthree/

The image in the above article is supposedly SpaceShipThree, a point to point spaceplane.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled." R.P.Feynman

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
« Reply #396 on: 10/26/2017 10:14 pm »

The image in the above article is supposedly SpaceShipThree, a point to point spaceplane.

I doubt that is anything more than an artist’s impression to look good and suggest there’s something to the supersonic p2p travel. I find it hard to believe, with all the issues they’ve had, that VG has put any real money into this yet. However, presumably the $1B now gives them the resources to look at this more seriously. It’ll be interesting to see what happens, but I’m not holding my breath!

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3974
  • Likes Given: 220
« Reply #397 on: 10/26/2017 10:30 pm »

I doubt that is anything more than an artist’s impression to look good and suggest there’s something to the supersonic p2p travel. I find it hard to believe, with all the issues they’ve had, that VG has put any real money into this yet. However, presumably the $1B now gives them the resources to look at this more seriously. It’ll be interesting to see what happens, but I’m not holding my breath!

And how many billions does someone have to invest before you do stop holding your breath on the matter?

Offline QuantumG

• Australia
  • Liked: 4477
  • Likes Given: 1108
« Reply #398 on: 10/27/2017 12:20 am »
And how many billions does someone have to invest before you do stop holding your breath on the matter?

How many billions have they sunk into SS2 already? It really does seem like the more money you have the slower you go... *cough*Blue Origin*cough*
Human spaceflight is basically just LARPing now.

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25240
  • Likes Given: 12115
« Reply #399 on: 10/27/2017 12:36 am »
Cancel SS2. Hybrids are a dead end. Give everyone refunds AND priority as first passengers on SS3.

IMHO.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography