Author Topic: In Situ Resource Utilization -- NextSTEP-2 BAA  (Read 7369 times)

Offline AncientU

• Liked: 4164
  • Likes Given: 6078
In Situ Resource Utilization -- NextSTEP-2 BAA
« on: 12/07/2017 04:27 pm »
NextSTEP-2 BAA Appendix D: In Situ Resource Utilization (ISRU) Technology
Solicitation Number: NNH16ZCQ001K-ISRU
NASA intends to issue an Appendix to the Next Space Technologies for Exploration Partnerships -2 (NextSTEP-2) Broad Agency Announcement (BAA) in the near future to solicit ideas and technologies to advance In Situ Resource Utilization (ISRU) capabilities.
NASA will be seeking proposals for research contracts in areas for design, fabrication, and testing of critical components and subsystems for acquisition and processing of extraterrestrial resources into water, oxygen, and fuel, using technologies and processes that leverage and support space or terrestrial commercial activities. While mission timeframes for ISRU technology are all in the 2020's and later, development of these technologies needs to begin well before the listed time horizon.

https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportunity&mode=form&id=34eb0ba219ff3a8d97c9c4b2c9302bf1&tab=core&_cview=1

« Last Edit: 12/07/2017 04:30 pm by AncientU »
"If we shared everything [we are working on] people would think we are insane!"
-- SpaceX friend of mlindner

Offline BrightLight

• Northern New Mexico
  • Liked: 312
  • Likes Given: 924
Re: In Situ Resource Utilization -- NextSTEP-2 BAA
« Reply #1 on: 12/07/2017 05:45 pm »
The BAA specifically calls out lunar surface elements of ISRU.
"Resources at the Moon, asteroids, and Phobos or Deimos may also be important for human exploration of the Moon and Mars."
However, this will require Lunar Landers and NASA is espousing public/private investments.

Here are two "primers" for ISRU lunar volatiles for fuel and water

From March of 2017
https://ntrs.nasa.gov/search.jsp?R=20140002479 2017-12-07T18:12:25+00:00Z
LUNAR POLAR IN SITU RESOURCE UTILIZATION (ISRU) AS A STEPPING STONE FOR HUMAN
EXPLORATION. Gerald B. Sanders, NASA-Johnson Space Center, 2101 NASA Parkway, Houston, TX,

From 2012
https://ntrs.nasa.gov/search.jsp?R=20120006109 2017-12-07T18:24:53+00:00Z
Progress Made in Lunar In Situ Resource Utilization under NASA’s Exploration Technology and Development Program by Gerald B. Sanders1 and William E. Larson

The BAA specifically calls out these two references:
 Lavoie, Tony, and Spudis, Paul, “The Purpose of Human Spaceflight and a Lunar Architecture to Explore the Potential of Resource Utilization”, AIAA Space 2016, Long Beach, CA, 13-16 September 2016
(not available to the opublic)

Miller, Charles, Wilhite, Alan, et al., “Economic Assessment and Systems Analysis of an Evolvable Lunar Architecture that Leverages Commercial Space Capabilities and Public-Private Partnerships”, July 2015
link
« Last Edit: 12/10/2017 05:17 pm by gongora »

Offline oldAtlas_Eguy

• Florida
  • Liked: 5005
  • Likes Given: 1444
« Reply #2 on: 12/10/2017 04:41 pm »
Since this is a small but still a source of funds. I wonder if SpaceX is going to submit proposals for ice-mining, processing, power , and prop production/storage as components Track 2 and systems/subsystems Track 3. They could get ~$100K per component proposed could end being a significant amount of funds $1M+ with 10 or more critical components from these systems. Even though SpaceX's proposals would be component and systems targeted for a Mars surface environment, many components/subsystem/systems probably would be applicable to the Lunar environment as well. This NextSTEP-2 BAA is for both environments Lunar and Mars. But it also could be inclusive of asteroid ISRU.

If NASA accepts asteroid target systems under this tech development I wonder if they may get some proposals from the asteroid mining companies also?

It will be interesting who submits proposals.
« Last Edit: 12/10/2017 04:42 pm by oldAtlas_Eguy »

Offline BrightLight

• Northern New Mexico
  • Liked: 312
  • Likes Given: 924
« Reply #3 on: 12/14/2017 03:44 pm »
The  NextStep BAA ISRU brief, dated December 11, 2017 is now out
https://www.nasa.gov/nextstep
NextSTEP-2 ISRU Industry Forum Briefing Packet (PDF)
It's fairly broad and includes details on objectives associated with asteroids, the Moon, Mars and Martian moons.
« Last Edit: 12/14/2017 03:50 pm by BrightLight »

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
« Reply #4 on: 12/14/2017 08:34 pm »
The presentation (PDF) from the site makes for very interesting reading. I am marginally disappointed that the notional CO2 collection vents N2 and Ar, as those seem like useful gasses to retain. However notional means just that, something to get people thinking... the real system could easily have an addon that captures and refines these trace gases.

(there was a thread on BFS and jumpstarting a Martian chemical industry that is related and interesting reading... if I remember I
will link it)
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline oldAtlas_Eguy

• Florida
  • Liked: 5005
  • Likes Given: 1444
« Reply #5 on: 12/15/2017 12:53 am »
Here it is:
Proposed ITS Cargo Modules to Initiate a Chemical Industry on Mars
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=42053.0

Offline sghill

• United States
  • Liked: 2092
  • Likes Given: 3200
« Reply #6 on: 12/16/2017 12:16 pm »
The presentation (PDF) from the site makes for very interesting reading. I am marginally disappointed that the notional CO2 collection vents N2 and Ar, as those seem like useful gasses to retain. However notional means just that, something to get people thinking... the real system could easily have an addon that captures and refines these trace gases.

(there was a thread on BFS and jumpstarting a Martian chemical industry that is related and interesting reading... if I remember I
will link it)

It would be insane to get rid of the N and Ar!  Those are critical gases for maintaining a human presence. Nitrogen is critical for habitability, and Argon is a valuable working gas for other processes where you don't want reactivity- including fire suppression systems.
Bring the thunder!

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
« Reply #7 on: 02/04/2018 04:24 pm »
see also this thread on "Water, Methane, and Oxygen ISRU on Mars"
https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=40308
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography