Author Topic: Orange and grey booster stripes ?  (Read 5838 times)

Offline JohnF

• Liked: 14
  • Likes Given: 2
Orange and grey booster stripes ?
« on: 11/13/2016 12:52 pm »
Ok I'm curious, I just have to ask why the ugly orange and grey stripes on the SLS boosters ?, if ya gotta have stripes why not red & blue ones since the boosters are white ?, this is an American rocket after all.

Offline Rei

• Iceland
  • Liked: 332
  • Likes Given: 161
Re: Orange and grey booster stripes ?
« Reply #1 on: 11/13/2016 02:36 pm »
The orange is to match with the core.

Offline Donosauro

• Liked: 53
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: 11/13/2016 02:42 pm »
Ok I'm curious, I just have to ask why the ugly orange and grey stripes on the SLS boosters ?, if ya gotta have stripes why not red & blue ones since the boosters are white ?, this is an American rocket after all.

Orange and grey is the new black? :)

Offline Thorny

• Regular
  • San Angelo, Texas
  • Liked: 300
  • Likes Given: 457
« Reply #3 on: 11/13/2016 02:44 pm »
why not red & blue ones since the boosters are white ?, this is an American rocket after all.

It looks too gaudy. Just look at the hideous paint scheme of American Airlines nowadays.

Offline ChrisGebhardt

• Assistant Managing Editor
  • ad astra scientia
  • ~1 AU
  • Liked: 7877
  • Likes Given: 853
« Reply #4 on: 11/13/2016 03:17 pm »
I've been under the impression that the stripes are just more CGI crap that won't actually be a part of the boosters -- like the whole "let's paint the Core Stage white and black like Apollo so we can try to fool people into thinking it's not Ares" thing before they finally dropped that.  I can't see why they'd waste up-mass and weight on painting the SRBs for SLS.  It serves absolutely no purpose.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong and you know that SLS will fly with these stripes on the SRBs.

Online edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
  • Liked: 8566
  • Likes Given: 1356
« Reply #5 on: 11/13/2016 03:32 pm »
I've been under the impression that the stripes are just more CGI crap that won't actually be a part of the boosters -- like the whole "let's paint the Core Stage white and black like Apollo so we can try to fool people into thinking it's not Ares" thing before they finally dropped that.  I can't see why they'd waste up-mass and weight on painting the SRBs for SLS.  It serves absolutely no purpose.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong and you know that SLS will fly with these stripes on the SRBs.
You are right.  The wavy stripes were PR, just like the white-painted core stages shown in earlier illustrations.  SLS will be a big mostly-orange rocket boosted by all-white (or nearly all-white) boosters.

- Ed Kyle

Offline rocx

• NL
  • Liked: 266
  • Likes Given: 144
« Reply #6 on: 11/13/2016 04:54 pm »
What a senseless waste of PR materials, changing the imaginary colour scheme of the rockets all the time.
This could actually be a great advertising opportunity, they could put sponsor names all over the rocket, and in the end none of it will fly anyway due to weight considerations.
Any day with a rocket landing is a fantastic day.

Offline JohnF

• Liked: 14
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #7 on: 11/13/2016 05:37 pm »
Good, right they serve no purpose, boosters look better with no stripes anyway

Offline bad_astra

• Liked: 316
  • Likes Given: 553
« Reply #8 on: 11/14/2016 05:22 pm »
What a senseless waste of PR materials, changing the imaginary colour scheme of the rockets all the time.
This could actually be a great advertising opportunity, they could put sponsor names all over the rocket, and in the end none of it will fly anyway due to weight considerations.

How much money do you think the photoshop of stripes actually cost? This isn't a Potemkin village. It's stripes. They almost certainly will not be on the real thing, if it ever even flies.
"Contact Light" -Buzz Aldrin

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #9 on: 11/15/2016 01:39 pm »
I had grown to like the stripes. Markings could be viable to visuals on their return to the drink, but no recovery, so I suppose that's mute. I think we all knew it was PR related anyway.
« Last Edit: 11/15/2016 01:39 pm by Chris Bergin »
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline llanitedave

• Nevada Desert
  • Liked: 1545
  • Likes Given: 2052
« Reply #10 on: 11/15/2016 02:15 pm »
I like the idea of selling advertising space.  It would be even cooler if SpaceX were to buy a big logo on it.
"I've just abducted an alien -- now what?"

Offline whitelancer64

« Reply #11 on: 11/15/2016 02:25 pm »
I like the orange and grey swooshes, too. I hope they will fly on the first SLS launch, weight won't be an issue for that one.
"One bit of advice: it is important to view knowledge as sort of a semantic tree -- make sure you understand the fundamental principles, ie the trunk and big branches, before you get into the leaves/details or there is nothing for them to hang on to." - Elon Musk
"There are lies, damned lies, and launch schedules." - Larry J

Offline Bubbinski

« Reply #12 on: 11/15/2016 04:02 pm »
When I toured ATK and saw the first finished SLS booster segment I didn't see any part of the swooshes on the segment. Take that for what it's worth.
I'll even excitedly look forward to "flags and footprints" and suborbital missions. Just fly...somewhere.

Offline Khadgars

• Orange County, California
  • Liked: 1132
  • Likes Given: 3156
« Reply #13 on: 11/15/2016 04:49 pm »

How much money do you think the photoshop of stripes actually cost? This isn't a Potemkin village. It's stripes. They almost certainly will not be on the real thing, if it ever even flies.

Are we really touting this line still?  There is little doubt SLS/Orion will fly, it more of a matter of how long will it fly.
Evil triumphs when good men do nothing - Thomas Jefferson

Offline dglow

• Liked: 2295
  • Likes Given: 4433
« Reply #14 on: 11/16/2016 12:39 am »
The curvy stripes are great. They make the rocket look like a giant Atari logo.

Offline Nibb31

• France
  • Liked: 177
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #15 on: 11/17/2016 01:02 pm »
The tint of the orange foam on the tank actually varies with UV exposure, age, and temperature, so any painted orange stripes will never match the exact color of the tank, which will only make it look tacky.

You can be sure that there won't be orange stripes on the actual boosters.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography