Author Topic: shuttle launch sounds  (Read 18635 times)

Offline spaceshuttle

• Extreme Veteran
  • Baton Rouge, LA
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
shuttle launch sounds
« on: 09/03/2006 01:38 am »
anyone know where i can find good sound effects of shuttle launches?
T-10...9...8...7...we're go for main engine start...4...3...2...1...0 and liftoff of Shuttle Daedalus as the National Aerospace System celebrates its 25th mission.

Offline astrobrian

• NSF Photographer
  • Austin Texas
  • Liked: 23
  • Likes Given: 112
Re: shuttle launch sounds
« Reply #1 on: 09/03/2006 04:26 am »
If you dont mind the talking over it there are plenty of videos in the FTP section that have launches you could record sound from

Offline Avron

• Canadian Member
  • Liked: 156
  • Likes Given: 160
« Reply #2 on: 09/03/2006 03:31 pm »
astrobrian - 3/9/2006  12:13 AM

If you dont mind the talking over it there are plenty of videos in the FTP section that have launches you could record sound from

Just wondering if Ben has left a recorder next to one of his cameras at the pad during launch..

Offline rumble

• Extreme Veteran
  • Conway, AR
  • Liked: 11
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #3 on: 09/03/2006 04:24 pm »
No joke...  a 24-bit, 96khz stereo recording of a launch would be a beautiful thing...  5.1 surround??  mmmmmmm

Is there equipment that can truly capture the sound pressure dynamics of a launch?

Offline spaceshuttle

• Extreme Veteran
  • Baton Rouge, LA
« Reply #4 on: 09/03/2006 07:23 pm »
rumble - 3/9/2006  11:11 AM

No joke...  a 24-bit, 96khz stereo recording of a launch would be a beautiful thing...  5.1 surround??  mmmmmmm

Is there equipment that can truly capture the sound pressure dynamics of a launch?

yeah...sounds SANS countdown...
T-10...9...8...7...we're go for main engine start...4...3...2...1...0 and liftoff of Shuttle Daedalus as the National Aerospace System celebrates its 25th mission.

Offline rsp1202

• Elite Veteran
  • 3, 2, 1 . . . Make rocket go now
RE: shuttle launch sounds
« Reply #5 on: 09/03/2006 08:29 pm »
SSME's have a distinctive sound signature when lighting off. Don't know if it's a general hydrogen engine start-up sound or more likely specific to SSME processes, but it's decidedly different than a kerosene motor igniting. Whatever the reason, I'll miss it. Wish I was more familiar with RS-68 ignition so to imagine a cluster of them igniting on an Ares V.

Offline rumble

• Extreme Veteran
  • Conway, AR
« Reply #6 on: 09/03/2006 08:44 pm »
Sounds from Stennis videos have SSME's sounding more like a "WHEEAAHHHHSSHHHHH" combined with a distant rumble...which could be mic placement??   (http://science.nasa.gov/enginetest/)

I've got "The Mighty Saturns -- Saturn V" DVDs from SpaceCraftFilms, and the stennis videos of the S1C tests were more of a crackly rumble.  Of course, that could also be mid 1960's audio technology...

Offline modavis

• Regular
  • Langhorne, PA
« Reply #7 on: 09/03/2006 10:03 pm »

rumble - 3/9/2006  12:11 PM  Is there equipment that can truly capture the sound pressure dynamics of a launch?
Capture it, yes... but you can't afford the equipment that would reproduce it.

And even if you could, your local zoning would forbid it.

And even if zoning permitted it, your house wouldn't survive the first performance.  :)

Offline Austin

• Extreme Veteran
  • Virginia
« Reply #8 on: 09/03/2006 10:14 pm »
modavis - 3/9/2006  2:50 PM

rumble - 3/9/2006  12:11 PM  Is there equipment that can truly capture the sound pressure dynamics of a launch?
Capture it, yes... but you can't afford the equipment that would reproduce it.

And even if you could, your local zoning would forbid it.

And even if zoning permitted it, your house wouldn't survive the first performance.  :)

And even if your house did survive, you'd be investing in Miracle Ear pretty soon after.

Offline rumble

• Extreme Veteran
  • Conway, AR
« Reply #9 on: 09/03/2006 10:36 pm »
Well, I guess we need to put some parameters around all that.  What I think we'd be capturing is the sound 3 or so miles from the pad.  

For reproduction, it would be a "scale model," but I think it would be absolutely possible to reproduce the same decibel levels and 90ish % the fidelity of the original sound.  Not from 3 miles away from the P.A. system, granted.  But I've got a P.A. system that could produce believable sound quality, and for a modest additional investment, I bet I could do pretty good.

But it comes down to this:  You want to be able to feel the air move from the sound, and you want it to seem like you're INSIDE the sound, instead of merely next to it.  You want the low-frequency sounds to make your guts jiggle...  :)

Now, as for being able to reproduce sufficient sound pressure in a regular suburban neighborhood...  I think you're right.  But in a band rehearsal room (which I DO have access to)...   :)

Offline spaceshuttle

• Extreme Veteran
  • Baton Rouge, LA
« Reply #10 on: 09/04/2006 03:57 am »
rumble - 3/9/2006  3:31 PM

Sounds from Stennis videos have SSME's sounding more like a "WHEEAAHHHHSSHHHHH" combined with a distant rumble...which could be mic placement??   (http://science.nasa.gov/enginetest/)
QUOTE]

that...or the faint whistle...WHAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGHHHHHHHHHHH.....rumble

or

faint whistle...BUH...BWAAAAARRRRRRAAAAAHHHHHHSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH....rumble

but enough with the mockings... :P

Offline Rob in KC

• Liked: 66
  • Likes Given: 99
« Reply #11 on: 09/04/2006 04:12 am »
Worse thread ever! ;)

Offline Avron

• Canadian Member
  • Liked: 156
  • Likes Given: 160
« Reply #12 on: 09/04/2006 04:39 am »
LOL.. things are breaking down...  Where is Ben when we need him..? sound track please Ben or Dana ?

Offline Rocket Guy

• Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #13 on: 09/04/2006 05:30 am »
LOL, I haven't done that yet unfortunately. I have some remote videos but I cannot share those. Maybe eventually I'll figure out how!

Offline Dana

• Regular
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #14 on: 09/04/2006 06:35 am »
Avron - 3/9/2006  9:26 PM

LOL.. things are breaking down...  Where is Ben when we need him..? sound track please Ben or Dana ?

Closest I could find for the Shuttle is this, which I don't think is complete: http://www1.ssc.nasa.gov/sirs/movies/propulsion/mpeg/STS-70.mpg

For the Saturn V, here's Apollo 12 from the MLP: http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/_docs/Apollo12Launch.wmv

I had an Apollo 11 clip that had better sound than that I gave Chris to play on the nasaspaceflight.com FTP server but it only plays a second or two and then quits.... http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/_docs/Apollo11.wmv
"Don't play dumb with me! You're not as good at it as I am!"-Col. Flagg

"'Second Place' is just the first loser."-Bobby Allison

Offline astrobrian

• NSF Photographer
  • Austin Texas
  • Liked: 23
  • Likes Given: 112
« Reply #15 on: 09/04/2006 02:54 pm »
Are you sure that STS-70 is shuttle audio? I hear nothing of the SRB popping that is normally heard. An overlay of audio perhaps?

Offline rumble

• Extreme Veteran
  • Conway, AR
« Reply #16 on: 09/04/2006 02:56 pm »

Offline Rocket Guy

• Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #17 on: 09/04/2006 02:56 pm »
Yea the STS-70 sounds are not really to match.

In fact, I would have to say that the audio on all three videos was added separately and does not necessarily reflect the actual sound in realtime.

Offline Dana

• Regular
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #18 on: 09/04/2006 11:34 pm »
astrobrian - 4/9/2006  7:41 AM

Are you sure that STS-70 is shuttle audio? I hear nothing of the SRB popping that is normally heard. An overlay of audio perhaps?

That's why I said I didn't think it was complete. I've always thought the SSMEs cut in with a sharper sound than that, and you never do hear the SRBs in that video, when even in the TV feed it's pretty obvious. But that's the only Shuttle clip I could find that had no PAO or other voices on it.

But as far as I know the sound in the Saturn V clips is authentic.
"Don't play dumb with me! You're not as good at it as I am!"-Col. Flagg

"'Second Place' is just the first loser."-Bobby Allison

Offline mixologist07

• St. Louis
« Reply #19 on: 01/22/2010 03:38 pm »
Hi everyone,

As some of you here know, I've been involved with capturing high-definition audio of shuttle launches since STS-123.  I'm currently working on finding a proper partnership with a space-based site, but for now, the Internet Archive has been gracious enough to host recordings made. 

It's only been in the last couple years that we've had technology capable of making these recordings in small, portable packages. 

I wanted to share what I consider the best recording I've made, from the bank of the barge turn basin at the complex 39 press site. 

This is a 24-bit, 96kHz high definition recording.  You'll need to download the .WAV file, and listen to it via iTunes or Quicktime, as long as it supports uncompressed 24-bit playback.  Large speakers are preferred as long as they have GREAT bass playback potential, but listening through headphones is very realistic.

http://www.archive.org/download/LaunchOfSpaceShuttleEndavourOnMissionSts-123/sts-123_launch_2496.wav

With the last few missions scheduled, the goal will be to capture all of them in high-definition sound from various viewing points around the space center, for free distribution. 

Hope you all enjoy.

For the tech geeks:  this was recorded using a pair of Neumann AK30 microphone capsules (omnidirectional), shock mounted, ran through a Grace Design Lunatec V3 preamp and analog-to-digital converter at 24-bit, 96kHz, recorded digitally into a M-Audio Microtrack II recorder (simply used as a "bit bucket"). 

See the attached photo of the actual recording taking place.

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: 01/22/2010 03:39 pm by mixologist07 »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography