Author Topic: Does Node 3 attach to the nadir or to the port side of Unity?  (Read 34105 times)

Offline nisse

• Liked: 51
  • Likes Given: 4
Does Node 3 attach to the nadir or to the port side of Unity?

Nasa has two images of the location but they differ. Which is the correct one?
Image of Port location:
http://www.nasa.gov/externalflash/name_ISS/index.html
Image of Nadir location:
http://www.nasa.gov/images/content/160551main_jsc2006e43516_high.jpg

Any idea if there was a change and if so, why?

Offline bobthemonkey

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 24
  • Likes Given: 26
The Port CBM is now the final location for Node 3.

IIRC the change was due to a number of factors, in cluding ensuring clearence on Zarya nadir to ensure it is available for use, as well as reducing the MMOD risk.

Offline MikeMi.

• Gd, Poland
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 0
And the final location of Cupola is the Port CBM of Node 3 (Tranquality) with the viev squarely on Kibo, yes?

Offline glanmor05

• BWFC Fan
  • It's not all tea and medals!
  • Blackpool, England
  • Liked: 28
PMA3 is soon to be re-located from Unity Nadir to Unity Port (according to the ISS schedule of events thread), so is there to be another swap before Node 3 flies?
"Through struggles, to the stars."

Offline Jorge

• Liked: 529
  • Likes Given: 67
PMA3 is soon to be re-located from Unity Nadir to Unity Port (according to the ISS schedule of events thread), so is there to be another swap before Node 3 flies?

Yes.
JRF

Offline Jorge

And the final location of Cupola is the Port CBM of Node 3 (Tranquality) with the viev squarely on Kibo, yes?

No, nadir. As shown in the second image in the original post in the thread.
« Last Edit: 04/15/2009 10:15 pm by Jorge »
JRF

Offline glanmor05

• BWFC Fan
  • Blackpool, England

Yes.

So let me get this straight.  PMA 3 will be re-located early July to the Port CBM of Unity, not be used (according to ISS Scedule of Events thread), then be re-re-located back to Nadir before the middle of December when Node 3 will be attached to the Port CBM?

That sounds like nonsense to me.

Offline Jorge

Yes.

So let me get this straight.  PMA 3 will be re-located early July to the Port CBM of Unity, not be used (according to ISS Scedule of Events thread), then be re-re-located back to Nadir before the middle of December when Node 3 will be attached to the Port CBM?

Sounds to me like they need to do some CBM reconfiguration.

Don't be so quick to judge.
JRF

Offline glanmor05

• BWFC Fan
  • Blackpool, England
On the other thread it quotes the Expedition 19/20 Press Kit:

"Early July - Relocation of PMA-3 from Unity nadir to Unity port to prepare for the arrival of the Node 3/Cupola in 2010" ???

I suppose my question is, any chance picture 1 is correct (again), especially given the lack of any real reason for the PMA3 ballet otherwise?
« Last Edit: 04/15/2009 10:59 pm by glanmor05 »

Offline nacnud

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 981
  • Likes Given: 347
Perhaps the arms can't reach to install tranquillity straight to the port CBM and it needs to be temporarily moved to nadir first.

Offline erioladastra

• Liked: 222

Yes.

Yes it would if you would make a quick snap judgement without checking for data or reading the other threads on this topic.

The Node 3 was originall scheduled for the nadir.  Node 1 was plumbed for that position.  Node 1 now has to be replumbed with all the power, data, air flow etc to go to the port.  To do that we need a pressurized module on the other side of the bulkhead to do the work.  PMA3 will be relocated to provide that volume.  This way, on 20A Node 3 When done, it will then be relocated back to the nadir.  Do we have your approval now?

Offline cd-slam

• Singapore
  • Liked: 18
  • Likes Given: 315
The Node 3 was originall scheduled for the nadir.  Node 1 was plumbed for that position.  Node 1 now has to be replumbed with all the power, data, air flow etc to go to the port.  To do that we need a pressurized module on the other side of the bulkhead to do the work.  PMA3 will be relocated to provide that volume. When done, it will then be relocated back to the nadir.
Thanks erioladastra for the explanation. Finally all becomes clear! :O)

Offline glanmor05

• BWFC Fan
  • Blackpool, England

Yes.

Yes it would if you would make a quick snap judgement without checking for data or reading the other threads on this topic.

The Node 3 was originall scheduled for the nadir.  Node 1 was plumbed for that position.  Node 1 now has to be replumbed with all the power, data, air flow etc to go to the port.  To do that we need a pressurized module on the other side of the bulkhead to do the work.  PMA3 will be relocated to provide that volume.  This way, on 20A Node 3 When done, it will then be relocated back to the nadir.  Do we have your approval now?

That all makes sense.  Always had my approval, just didn't understand (which in itself isn't unusual).  Always best to ask?

Not sure that that full an explanation has been provided on any other (L1) thread (I can't find it).  Sorry if my bad choice of words caused offense.

Offline psloss

• Veteran armchair spectator
  • Liked: 4046
  • Likes Given: 2089
That all makes sense.  Always had my approval, just didn't understand (which in itself isn't unusual).  Always best to ask?
Sure, but just ask.  Calling it nonsense isn't asking.

Offline nisse

Why is the change not reflected in the images online?

Offline glanmor05

• BWFC Fan
  • Blackpool, England
Sure, but just ask.  Calling it nonsense isn't asking.

OK my bad.

I just meant that it (the plan) made no sense (not the answer provided).  As it turns out, that's because a vital piece of information was missing. 

Now provided by erioladastra, thanks. 

Offline PaulyFirmbiz

• Liked: 0
Why is the change not reflected in the images online?

As per the Russians and European websites and now even Nasa, most of the updated computer models images of Alpha all have node 3 (tranquility) latched onto Port side CBM.. i am in no way a professional in the space field (as much as i would love to be) but i always thought node 3 looked much better on the nadar cbm then Port.. i understand the margins with the russian segments going but but if there was ever to be additions to the station via the cbms the only feasable place would be unity nadar or even harmony nadar.. i remember reading on this site about the brits possible adding the HEM modules to tranquility port and starboard CBMS but i guess that was just like everything else in the space world... ALL TALK NO ACTION..

it really is a shame that they will have all those open slots and nothing to add to them..

Offline nisse

I thought the purpose of Cupola was to have a view of the station while controlling the Canadarm2?

Why is Cupola not on the V-bar CBM of Node3 in order to have the same orientation it would have had if Node3 was in the Nadir CBM of Unity?

Or has the prime objective of Cupola been changed from Canadarm2 control to earth observation? Or have I gotten it all wrong?
« Last Edit: 04/17/2009 06:49 am by nisse »

Offline Analyst

• Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 20
Canadarm2 works just fine without Cupola since 2001. You would see Kibo, Kibo logistics, the Lab port side and S0 from Node 3 forward. Not a nice view.

Analyst

Offline hanschristian

• Pinoy Space geek
  • Imus, Cavite, Philippines
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 1
and placing Cupola on Node 3 nadir makes perfect sense for observation, since it will allow a full 360 degree view of the entire Earth below...
The Sky is NOT the Limit...

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography