Author Topic: ISS + Duct Tape  (Read 3887 times)

Online The-Hammer

• Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 2
ISS + Duct Tape
« on: 02/19/2010 01:22 am »
Ran across this on ThereIFixedIt.com today. http://thereifixedit.com/2010/02/18/epic-kludge-photo-the-next-best-thing-to-space-camp/#more-7472

The caption says these were from Expedition 18. Anyone know why the duct-work was needed?

EDIT: clarity
« Last Edit: 02/19/2010 01:23 am by The-Hammer »
Grant Imahara: Oxygen deficiency alarm? Is that something I should be worried about?
NASA worker: Only if it goes off.

Offline Life_Support_32

• Houston, TX
  • Liked: 35
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: ISS + Duct Tape
« Reply #1 on: 02/19/2010 02:01 am »
That's the ducting that takes air from the Node 2 Fwd and bypasses the Node 2, dumping it into the Lab.  There have been issues in the past of CO2 levels in the Shuttle, so the air is drawn straight from Shuttle to the Lab, where the Carbon Dioxide Removal Assembly operates, thus lower CO2 levels in the Shuttle :-)

Offline pberrett

• Liked: 10
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: 02/24/2010 08:05 am »

This makees me wonder. Has anyone considered making a tether out of duct tape?

regards Peter

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21451
  • Likes Given: 428
« Reply #3 on: 02/24/2010 09:55 am »

This makees me wonder. Has anyone considered making a tether out of duct tape?

for what?

Offline litton4

• Liked: 396
  • Likes Given: 149
« Reply #4 on: 02/24/2010 01:42 pm »
Ran across this on ThereIFixedIt.com today. http://thereifixedit.com/2010/02/18/epic-kludge-photo-the-next-best-thing-to-space-camp/#more-7472

The caption says these were from Expedition 18. Anyone know why the duct-work was needed?

I think a similar cludge was needed when Harmony was installed a week or so ago. I seem to remember some quotes about an offset connection in the temporary ducting causing poor air flow.

Also, I vote that the ultimate expression of this has to be the "stitching" repair to the P6 arrays when they tore on re-deployment.

Brilliant!
Dave Condliffe

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25240
  • Likes Given: 12115
« Reply #5 on: 02/24/2010 05:58 pm »

I think a similar cludge was needed when Harmony was installed a week or so ago. I seem to remember some quotes about an offset connection in the temporary ducting causing poor air flow.

Also, I vote that the ultimate expression of this has to be the "stitching" repair to the P6 arrays when they tore on re-deployment.

Brilliant!
Yeah, you're right! Was it made with wire and tape? What are the details of this awesome "kludge"?

Oh, here are some details I found from a spaceDOTcom article:
"Using strips of aluminum, a hole punch, a bolt connector and 66 feet (20 meters) of wire, along with detailed instructions sent by mission control, the duo assembled half a dozen space station-saving cuff link contraptions. If all proceeds as planned, Parazynski, suspended at the end of the boom-arm assembly, will slip the cuff link-like tabs through holes in the array's blanket, enabling it to support the tension exerted when the solar wing is fully extended."

Totally a classic!
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography