Author Topic: VASIMR on the ISS  (Read 28815 times)

Offline Aexalon

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: VASIMR on the ISS
« Reply #60 on: 01/25/2010 09:39 PM »
Flight international mentions that NASA [plans] to test plasma engine on space station.

Good news but it leaves open the question of how it is to get there.

18 months later: do we have any idea about how NASA plans to get the VF-200 to the ISS?

Could it fit into the unpressurised segment of a HTV? If not, they would be almost surely forced to obtain Russian means of delivery.

Offline TrueBlueWitt

• Space Nut
  • Mars in my lifetime!
  • DeWitt, MI
  • Liked: 63
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #61 on: 01/25/2010 09:50 PM »
Flight international mentions that NASA [plans] to test plasma engine on space station.

18 months later: do we have any idea about how NASA plans to get the VF-200 to the ISS?

Could it fit into the unpressurised segment of a HTV? If not, they would be almost surely forced to obtain Russian means of delivery.

Orbit using domestic means then use an already docked ATV or HTV to ferry it to the station?  I was thinking Progress initially, but I don't think it has sufficient station keeping capabilities.

Offline Zipi

• Imatra, Finland
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #62 on: 01/26/2010 06:01 AM »
Orbit using domestic means then use an already docked ATV or HTV to ferry it to the station?  I was thinking Progress initially, but I don't think it has sufficient station keeping capabilities.

HTV don't have automatic docking system, so it probably cannot ferry anything but itself. I'm not an expert but I would imagine an ATV would be able to dock with VASIMR. Maybe the launch should be so that VASIMR is launched first and after that ATV is launched to dock and ferry it to the ISS. After robotics graple the VASIMR, ATV would undock from it, move back for a little while and the perform nominal docking procedure to the aft port of Zvedzda.

But the question is, is this kind of arrangement needed or can VASIMR be carried by Dragon or HTV directly with one launch?
Broken man-made things can be fixed (if you find the pieces).

Offline arkaska

• Sweden
« Reply #63 on: 01/26/2010 09:18 AM »

HTV don't have automatic docking system, so it probably cannot ferry anything but itself. I'm not an expert but I would imagine an ATV would be able to dock with VASIMR. Maybe the launch should be so that VASIMR is launched first and after that ATV is launched to dock and ferry it to the ISS. After robotics graple the VASIMR, ATV would undock from it, move back for a little while and the perform nominal docking procedure to the aft port of Zvedzda.

But the question is, is this kind of arrangement needed or can VASIMR be carried by Dragon or HTV directly with one launch?

ATV can't approach the station on the US side but only on the Russian side since it's docking system need the "targets" on Zevzda aft, and you can't fly it manually close to the station.

Offline William Barton

• Liked: 2
« Reply #64 on: 01/26/2010 10:59 AM »

ATV can't approach the station on the US side but only on the Russian side since it's docking system need the "targets" on Zevzda aft, and you can't fly it manually close to the station.

Wasn't there a ULA plan to use ATV to haul Atlas V-launched cargo modules to ISS in exactly this way?

Offline kenny008

• Knoxville, TN
  • Liked: 41
  • Likes Given: 181
« Reply #65 on: 01/26/2010 03:05 PM »

I've been wondering this same thing, and decided to shoot off an email to Ad Astra.  I mentioned the problems with HTV and ATV.  They answered me very quickly:

Dear Ken,
     There is no definite plan yet.  Possible options may be Orbital Sciences Cygnus or SpaceX Dragon.
Sincerely,
Andrew

Offline arkaska

• Sweden
« Reply #66 on: 01/26/2010 04:45 PM »

Wasn't there a ULA plan to use ATV to haul Atlas V-launched cargo modules to ISS in exactly this way?

That required a big design change...among things outfitting with CBM so it could dock with the US side.

I would assume (not sure) that it would use the same docking-system and that this would be installed on a CBM on the US side. Since ATV wasn't awarded the contract with NASA there was/is no need to put the ATV docking target/laser on the US side and I would doubt they would do it just for this case. And I still don't know if ATV can approach the station and then stop there since the whole approach is automatic. There is a failsafe but that would take the ATV away from station and not put it stationary hold. 

But as kenny008 wrote the most likely vehicle for transporting it to ISS would be one of the US cargo vehicles. 
« Last Edit: 01/26/2010 04:46 PM by arkaska »

Tags: