Author Topic: Space Exploration Vehicle Concept  (Read 153344 times)

Offline Ronsmytheiii

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1879
  • Likes Given: 1023
Space Exploration Vehicle Concept
« on: 04/22/2011 08:30 pm »
Split as more information found, seems to be an evolution of the old LER optimized for in space operations

http://twitter.com/#!/NASA_EDGE
« Last Edit: 04/22/2011 09:15 pm by Ronsmytheiii »

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25240
  • Likes Given: 12115
« Reply #1 on: 04/22/2011 08:33 pm »
Not sure if this belongs in Orion, but evolution of the Space Exploration Vehicle:

Cool!

I like!
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
« Reply #2 on: 04/22/2011 08:52 pm »
Not sure if this belongs in Orion, but evolution of the Space Exploration Vehicle:

Cool!

I like!
I like the idea of a common vehicle that can be used for exploring an asteroid or as a pressurized rover or for servicing. Then again, the requirements are so very different that it probably doesn't make a heck of a lot of sense. Still looks awesome, though!!!

EDIT: Stick it on an ATHLETE-type rover, and then it can climb up rocky hills. :) I know, I know... Legos...
« Last Edit: 04/22/2011 08:54 pm by Robotbeat »
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline Ronsmytheiii

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: 04/22/2011 09:04 pm »
I like the idea of a common vehicle that can be used for exploring an asteroid or as a pressurized rover or for servicing. Then again, the requirements are so very different that it probably doesn't make a heck of a lot of sense. Still looks awesome, though!!!

I wouldn't say that, the biggest difference between an asteroid and the moon is the gravity well, and that is solved with the Mobility Chassis.  Only thing that the SEV would need for an asteroid would be thrusters  but even then not that many if Orion is close by.

Also notice the design has changed to have a clam shell that covers the suitports rather than open like the LER.
« Last Edit: 04/22/2011 09:07 pm by Ronsmytheiii »

Offline Ronsmytheiii

• Global Moderator
Re: Space Exploration Vehicle Concept
« Reply #4 on: 04/22/2011 09:17 pm »
« Last Edit: 04/22/2011 09:41 pm by Ronsmytheiii »

Offline Space Pete

« Reply #5 on: 04/22/2011 11:42 pm »
Nice concepts!

I know NASA want to take a SEV on a test-flight to the ISS. I concur! :)
NASASpaceflight ISS Editor

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
  • Liked: 659
  • Likes Given: 7688
« Reply #6 on: 04/22/2011 11:49 pm »
Nice concepts!

hehe. me too!

Not sure I'm all for the multiple hatch port idea - seems like more things to go wrong, along with added cost & mass. Maybe a secondary hatch for cargo replenishment, along with a utilities connection interface for other consumables.
« Last Edit: 04/23/2011 01:27 am by robertross »

Offline pathfinder_01

• Liked: 271
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #7 on: 04/23/2011 01:04 am »
Nice concepts!

hehe. me too!

Not sure I'm all for the multiple hatch idea - seems like more things to go wrong, along with added cost & mass. Maybe a secondary hatch for cargo replenishment, along with a utilities connection interface for other consumables.

Nah, not that many hatchs.  It has three docking ports of which only two are for the crew(third could be used to dock something that does not need crew access) or give flexability about it's storage). It has suit ports and 1 small object airlock.

I would suspect that having an back up docking port would be a good idea in case one does not work. I wonder could it be evoled into a lunar or mars lander?

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 4548
  • Likes Given: 13523
« Reply #8 on: 04/23/2011 01:14 am »
"Open the pod bay door HAL"...."I'm sorry Dave"...lol
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
  • Liked: 659
  • Likes Given: 7688
« Reply #9 on: 04/23/2011 01:27 am »
Nice concepts!

hehe. me too!

Not sure I'm all for the multiple hatch idea - seems like more things to go wrong, along with added cost & mass. Maybe a secondary hatch for cargo replenishment, along with a utilities connection interface for other consumables.

Nah, not that many hatchs.  It has three docking ports of which only two are for the crew(third could be used to dock something that does not need crew access) or give flexability about it's storage). It has suit ports and 1 small object airlock.

I would suspect that having an back up docking port would be a good idea in case one does not work. I wonder could it be evoled into a lunar or mars lander?

Sorry, I should have said docking ports (will amend), but I still think it's one too many.

Offline manboy

• Texas, USA, Earth
  • Liked: 134
  • Likes Given: 544
« Reply #10 on: 04/26/2011 12:06 am »
This diagram doesn't seem to be arranged like either a family tree or a timeline, so its kind of hard to follow.

It looks like they increased the commonality between the two vehicles (planetary and in-space SEV), which is a smart move. But I'm a little disappointed to see the rectangular docking port removed.

Not sure why they changed the windows, looks to now have a more restricted field of view. Maybe the move to flat pieces was done to simplify manufacturing process.

In the new design I can't see the suit port but in may just be behind our point of view.

Also notice the design has changed to have a clam shell that covers the suitports rather than open like the LER.
I've seen the Lunar Electric Rover with a suit port cover as far back as D-Rats 2009.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nasadesertrats/3891249294/in/photostream

Another Image

http://www.nasa.gov/pdf/464826main_SEV_Concept_FactSheet.pdf
If the image posted on twitter is accurate than this PDF is outdated.
« Last Edit: 04/26/2011 12:14 am by manboy »
"Cheese has been sent into space before. But the same cheese has never been sent into space twice." - StephenB

Offline mike robel

• Extreme Veteran
  • Merritt Island, FL
  • Liked: 369
  • Likes Given: 260
« Reply #11 on: 04/26/2011 12:17 am »
Anyone seen three-views of the SEV?

Offline Ronsmytheiii

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: 04/26/2011 12:29 am »
It looks like they increased the commonality between the two vehicles (planetary and in-space SEV), which is a smart move. But I'm a little disappointed to see the rectangular docking port removed.

Looks like they replace it with iLIDS, which is a practical matter with all of the work that has been done on it, especially if you are concentrating on in space work first.

Not sure why they changed the windows, looks to now have a more restricted field of view. Maybe the move to flat pieces was done to simplify manufacturing process.

suspect it was changed to use existing engineering work, aka modifying Cupola Window technology for the SEV to save time/development/money.

In the new design I can't see the suit port but in may just be behind our point of view

I think the suitport bay is closed, but perhaps it was dropped in favor of the traditional airlock design since they are mainly focused on in space?
If the image posted on twitter is accurate than this PDF is outdated.

Indeed that would be true, but we have seen so little of the design even some outdated photos are informative.
« Last Edit: 04/26/2011 12:29 am by Ronsmytheiii »

Offline manboy

• Texas, USA, Earth
  • Liked: 134
  • Likes Given: 544
« Reply #13 on: 04/26/2011 12:35 am »
I think the suitport bay is closed, but perhaps it was dropped in favor of the traditional airlock design since they are mainly focused on in space?
I hope not, the suit ports are a really good idea (dust mitigation, lower loss of gas, allows to quickly begin and end EVAs).
« Last Edit: 04/26/2011 04:08 pm by manboy »
"Cheese has been sent into space before. But the same cheese has never been sent into space twice." - StephenB

Offline Ronsmytheiii

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: 05/09/2011 10:35 pm »
Engineers at Johnson Space Center (JSC) are developing an Environmental Control and Life Support System (ECLSS) design for the Space Exploration Vehicle (SEV).  The SEV will aid to expand the human exploration envelope for Geostationary Transfer Orbit (GEO), Near Earth Object (NEO), or planetary missions by using pressurized surface exploration vehicles.  The SEV, formerly known as the Lunar Electric Rover (LER), will be an evolutionary design starting as a ground test prototype  here technologies for various systems will be tested and evolve into a flight vehicle.

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/20100037960_2010040862.pdf
« Last Edit: 05/09/2011 10:36 pm by Ronsmytheiii »

Offline Ronsmytheiii

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: 05/09/2011 10:40 pm »
Safe human exploration in space missions requires careful management of limited resources such as breathable air and stored electrical energy. Daily activities for astronauts must be carefully planned with respect to such resources, and usage must be monitored as activities proceed to ensure that they can be completed while maintaining safe resource margins. Such planning and monitoring can be complex because they depend on models of resource usage, the activities being planned, and uncertainties. This paper describes a system and the technology behind it - for energy management of the NASA-Johnson Space Center’s Multi-Mission Space Exploration Vehicles (SEV), that provides, in an onboard advisory mode, situational awareness to astronauts and real-time guidance to mission operators.

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/search.jsp?R=20100039593&hterms=Space+Exploration+Vehicle&qs=Ntx%3Dmode%2520matchallany%26Ntk%3DAll%26Ns%3DLoaded-Date|1%26N%3D0%26Ntt%3D%2522Space%2520Exploration%2520Vehicle%2522

Offline Patchouli

• Liked: 253
  • Likes Given: 457
« Reply #16 on: 05/10/2011 03:47 am »
I like the idea of somewhat common hull for several missions as it could really save a lot of money and speed up development by years.
It's like some of the stuff you see in scifi's like 2001 and Space 1999.
« Last Edit: 05/10/2011 03:48 am by Patchouli »

Offline Ronsmytheiii

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: 06/13/2011 09:48 pm »
Chassis mockup image:

http://twitpic.com/5b4tiv

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
« Reply #18 on: 06/13/2011 10:24 pm »
Chassis mockup image:

http://twitpic.com/5b4tiv
AWESOME!

Mockups are better than just powerpoints! Must mean they're getting serious about this concept. :)

The more awesome exploration spacecraft like this, the better!!!!

Offline stealthyplains

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #19 on: 06/13/2011 10:47 pm »
oh man, this is amazing, I hadn't seen the MMSEV designs until now.  looks just great.  I can't wait till this thing flies

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography