Author Topic: Management structure of NASA science missions around 1980?  (Read 525 times)

Offline truth is life

• Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 8
I am working on a little project in my spare time where the question of the thread title came up. What I want to know is how funding was allocated to science missions, especially planetary missions, in that time frame (around 1975-1982/3); how mission proposals, again especially including planetary missions, were created, brought to NASA's attention, and finally selected; and how work was divided up by center. I know that the modern centralized SMD and competitive proposals from outside organizations and scientists didn't exist at that time, but I don't know what did.

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 9627
  • Likes Given: 299
I am working on a little project in my spare time where the question of the thread title came up. What I want to know is how funding was allocated to science missions, especially planetary missions, in that time frame (around 1975-1982/3); how mission proposals, again especially including planetary missions, were created, brought to NASA's attention, and finally selected; and how work was divided up by center. I know that the modern centralized SMD and competitive proposals from outside organizations and scientists didn't exist at that time, but I don't know what did.

A SMD type organization (space science) did exist and there was competitive proposals from internal organizations

Tags: