Author Topic: The granddaddy of all killer asteroid movies?  (Read 16892 times)

Offline Graham2001

• Liked: 16
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: The granddaddy of all killer asteroid movies?
« Reply #60 on: 12/10/2010 10:42 PM »
The main failing to me in all the "asteroid disaster movies" is that "we win" in the end... from "Meteor!" to "Deep Impact" to the simply awful "Armageddon", the "against all odds the humans manage a stop-gap impromptu mission and manage to destroy the asteroid and save mankind as we know it"...

The "After Impact" movie mentioned earlier is one exception.  But if you think that this stuff is essentially analogous to nuclear war films of the 80s, then the trend was the reverse.  In virtually all the movies, the balloon went up and then the story was about the survivors living in the nuclear hellhole.

...and fighting over water.

Of the four novels I have mentioned earlier, three involve deflection attempts (Hermes Fall, Shiva Descending & Impact!), three have the asteroid impact the Earth (Hermes Fall, Impact! & Cold Fusion).

Of those three only Cold Fusion really attempts to deal with the 'long term' consequences in terms of climactic shifts.

Offline JohnFornaro

• Not an expert
  • Delta-t is the salient metric.
  • Planet Eaarth
    • Design / Program Associates
  • Liked: 611
  • Likes Given: 316
« Reply #61 on: 12/11/2010 03:55 PM »
The problem with "2010" is two fold.  First, here it is at the end of, well, 2010, and nothing like that has taken place.

Second, they never address the subject of panspermia.  This was the opening point of "2001", and the closing point of the book and movie as well. 

As I recall the final lines of the book:  "He didn't know what he was going to do with his new world, but he would think of something".

Klaatu barada nikto.

Yeah?  And ya mudda wears army boots.
Sometimes I just flat out don't get it.

Offline Archibald

• Liked: 220
  • Likes Given: 595
« Reply #62 on: 12/11/2010 05:47 PM »
Klaatu barada nikto

Qu'as tu dans ton barda, Nico ?
« Last Edit: 12/11/2010 05:47 PM by Archibald »

Offline Graham2001

• Liked: 16
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #63 on: 11/14/2011 08:31 AM »
Got some info from Paolo Ulivi, who has written a number of history books and happens to be Italian.  He managed to find a 1956 article in an Italian journal concerning the 1908 Tunguska event.  He said that it was a fairly detailed article.  This seems like a good suspect for where the screenwriters got their idea for the movie The Day the Earth Exploded.  The article might have gotten attention in the Italian press and resulted in somebody in their film industry taking notice.

More info as I come across it.

Did you ever come across more information on this?

I'm 90% certain that the late 1970's meteor impact fiction boom was sparked off by the 1972 Great Daylight Fireball (APOD, March 2nd 2009)

Hermes Fall & Lucifer's Hammer seem to have been the first published since they don't feature precursor impacts to the main event.

Meteor seems to be the originator of that concept.

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1028
  • Likes Given: 235
« Reply #64 on: 11/18/2011 06:16 PM »
Natalie Wood Bump!
If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Tags: