Author Topic: The granddaddy of all killer asteroid movies?  (Read 25282 times)

Offline JohnFornaro

• Not an expert
  • Delta-t is the salient metric.
  • Planet Eaarth
    • Design / Program Associates
  • Liked: 620
  • Likes Given: 326
Re: The granddaddy of all killer asteroid movies?
« Reply #60 on: 12/11/2010 03:55 PM »
The problem with "2010" is two fold.  First, here it is at the end of, well, 2010, and nothing like that has taken place.

Second, they never address the subject of panspermia.  This was the opening point of "2001", and the closing point of the book and movie as well. 

As I recall the final lines of the book:  "He didn't know what he was going to do with his new world, but he would think of something".

Klaatu barada nikto.

Yeah?  And ya mudda wears army boots.
Sometimes I just flat out don't get it.

Offline Archibald

• Liked: 453
  • Likes Given: 1055
« Reply #61 on: 12/11/2010 05:47 PM »
Klaatu barada nikto

Qu'as tu dans ton barda, Nico ?
« Last Edit: 12/11/2010 05:47 PM by Archibald »
...you have been found guilty by the elders of the forum of a (imaginary) vendetta against Saint Elon - BLAAASPHEMER !

Offline Graham2001

• Liked: 16
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #62 on: 11/14/2011 08:31 AM »
Got some info from Paolo Ulivi, who has written a number of history books and happens to be Italian.  He managed to find a 1956 article in an Italian journal concerning the 1908 Tunguska event.  He said that it was a fairly detailed article.  This seems like a good suspect for where the screenwriters got their idea for the movie The Day the Earth Exploded.  The article might have gotten attention in the Italian press and resulted in somebody in their film industry taking notice.

More info as I come across it.

Did you ever come across more information on this?

I'm 90% certain that the late 1970's meteor impact fiction boom was sparked off by the 1972 Great Daylight Fireball (APOD, March 2nd 2009)

Hermes Fall & Lucifer's Hammer seem to have been the first published since they don't feature precursor impacts to the main event.

Meteor seems to be the originator of that concept.

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1123
  • Likes Given: 243
« Reply #63 on: 11/18/2011 06:16 PM »
Natalie Wood Bump!
If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Offline Archibald

« Reply #64 on: 06/01/2018 06:52 PM »
There is apparently a remake in the works for 2012.  Now I'm not a fan of remaking classics, but When Worlds Collide is not quite a classic in my view.  It's not a perfect piece of work, and I can see a remake actually improving on it.  You could actually try and make it a little more plausible (although in reality, it's simply impossible to jump from Earth to a passing planet like that, and certainly not possible to do it with large numbers of people).

They shouldn't be trying to remake Forbidden Planet, however...

They thoroughly ruined "Day the Earth Stood Still", so I have little hope for "When Worlds Collide". I read "Fantastic Voyage" is also getting the remake treatment soon.

But most disturbing is Robert Zemeckis' plan to remake "The Wizard of Oz", using the 1939 script. He should have his DGA membership revoked for that.

I was reading Wikipedia entry about Deep Impact and got a great WTF moment.
At the very beginning, it  was to be a remake of When worlds collide. Made by Spielberg. And then we got the 1998 shitty movie instead.
Plus freakkin' Armaggeddon. By the way, there is another creepy aspect of the movie most people ignore: Liv Tyler is the daughter of Aerosmith singer (the one with the extremely ugly face). And Aerosmith got Armaggeddon main song, you know, I DON'T WANT TO CLOOOOOSE MY EEEEEEYYYEEES etc.

Tyler family. Thrice: the movie, the soundtrack, the clip. They are everywhere.

I often wonder how did the nepotism worked: did Liv got the role, then asked Michael Bay "My daddy can make your movie soundtrack"  or the other way around "give my daughter a role, Michael Bay otherwise you can kiss your soundtrack goodbye"

And finally, the eternal question that haunt my mind every day since 1998: how can such a ugly being as Tyler (the singer) creates such a beautiful woman as Liv Tyler ? Either mom genetics erased dad's, or the girl is from the postman or the milkman  ???
« Last Edit: 06/02/2018 08:16 AM by Archibald »
...you have been found guilty by the elders of the forum of a (imaginary) vendetta against Saint Elon - BLAAASPHEMER !

Offline WallE

• Liked: 58
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #65 on: 06/01/2018 08:20 PM »
While we're at it, we may also ask how Elvis had some of the hottest women on Earth including the mother of his daughter and...she came out looking like him instead. Or how Billy Joel had a daughter with a literal supermodel but she came out looking like him.

"I Don't Wanna Miss a Thing" is a nauseating song anyway, that's pretty much universally agreed. Is this even the same band that made Rocks?

Offline Archibald

« Reply #66 on: 06/02/2018 11:13 AM »
ROTFLMAO

Offline Michel Van

• Liege, Belgium
  • Liked: 41
  • Likes Given: 82
« Reply #67 on: 06/04/2018 07:44 PM »
 The American copy of this film is now in Public Domain.

i saw The Day the Sky Exploded, the movie is not so bad
There some mystery  about the movie like for Italian/french production
had oddly high number of German Actors how play main roles

also interesting asteroid movie is Deep Impact

And if we take Michael Bay movie Armaggeddon in discussions
Someone remember the campy
METEOR ?

« Last Edit: 06/04/2018 07:47 PM by Michel Van »

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran
  • Liked: 2892
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #68 on: 06/04/2018 09:36 PM »
The American copy of this film is now in Public Domain.

There is a God...

No, wait... that's not what I meant. It's the other thing.

I thought that I did a Space Review article about "Meteor!" but I cannot seem to find it. Anyway, I remember reading a review of that once that noted that they took the the beautiful Natalie Wood and then poured mud all over her, so clearly the filmmakers had no clue what they were doing.

Offline Eric Hedman

• Liked: 320
  • Likes Given: 250
« Reply #69 on: 06/04/2018 10:13 PM »
And finally, the eternal question that haunt my mind every day since 1998: how can such a ugly being as Tyler (the singer) creates such a beautiful woman as Liv Tyler ? Either mom genetics erased dad's, or the girl is from the postman or the milkman  ???
Could we avoid personal insults even to people who probably are not reading this forum?  It degrades this place.  I know a few famous people who do occasionally come to this site so you never know who will be reading your words.

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 7517
  • Likes Given: 5293
« Reply #70 on: 06/05/2018 10:11 PM »
Could we avoid personal insults even to people who probably are not reading this forum?  It degrades this place.  I know a few famous people who do occasionally come to this site so you never know who will be reading your words.

Good point. Not very on topic either.
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline Dalhousie

• Liked: 305
  • Likes Given: 371
« Reply #71 on: 06/06/2018 12:59 AM »
But how accurate is it to say that impacts are all that important from a geological standpoint?  If they wipe out a lot of life, that's not really a geological issue.  I could see geologists largely dismissing them as local geological events, both in time and in area. 

Well, IIRC a lot of the Earth's accessible nickel supply comes from iron-nickel asteroids since nickel is so siderophilic, so that makes them pretty important geologically speaking (at least for geologists scouting for mineral prospects). There are also quite a few impact craters, which certainly have had a significant geological impact on their area (forming lake basins, bays, etc.). So while the biggest events are certainly of more paleontological interest, the smaller events do have significant geological interest. It's not like geologists ignore the effect of volcanic eruptions (to take another kind of catastrophic event) on local landscapes and geological structures, despite those being vulnerable to the same kinds of criticism.

The bulk of the world's nickel supply (70%) comes from weathering of mafic and ultramafic rocks in places like New Caladonia.  The remainder (30%) comes from magmatic sulphides in large mafic and ultramafic bodies.  One of the larger nickel deposits is Sudbury, which is associated with in impact structure.  However the impact itself, while the cause of the deposit, is not the source of the nickel.  This comes from the terrestrial crust melted in the impact and has nothing to do with the impacting body.  This is shown by the Cu/Ni and the ratios of Ni and Cu to PGES, which are those of continental crust, not asteroids.
"There is nobody who is a bigger fan of sending robots to Mars than me... But I believe firmly that the best, the most comprehensive, the most successful exploration will be done by humans" Steve Squyres

Offline Dalhousie

• Liked: 305
  • Likes Given: 371
« Reply #72 on: 06/06/2018 01:02 AM »
Arthur C Clarke also had a go at us earthlings :  "The Hammer Of God"

Moral of the story: Don't need brute force, a small force could do it if applied early enough and long enough.

But I suppose this would not make a popular movie as there is little scope for Armageddon type of special effects and heroics.

Clarke also explored the idea of impact (and the need for planetary defences against them) in the first chapter of Rendezvous with Rama (1972)
"There is nobody who is a bigger fan of sending robots to Mars than me... But I believe firmly that the best, the most comprehensive, the most successful exploration will be done by humans" Steve Squyres

Offline Zyklotrop

• Germany
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #73 on: 06/06/2018 08:31 PM »

They're actually Swiss, not German  ;) In fact, there isn't a single German Actor in the whole movie.

Offline Michel Van

• Liege, Belgium
  • Liked: 41
  • Likes Given: 82
« Reply #74 on: 06/07/2018 02:19 PM »

They're actually Swiss, not German  ;) In fact, there isn't a single German Actor in the whole movie.

Your right they all Swiss actors ! (check IMDB)
my mistake, since they found work in German Cinema and TV production, its easy to assume they germans
Thank for the correction ! 

Tags: