Author Topic: Node 3 / Cupola news  (Read 73771 times)

Online Ronsmytheiii

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1879
  • Likes Given: 1023
Re: Node 3 / Cupola news
« Reply #60 on: 12/01/2008 06:18 pm »
1) No. Three crew quarters will be in Node-2, one most likely stays in Destiny (TESS), two are in SM. Node-3 will mostly carry environmental racks like the ones launched with STS-126.

Analyst

Personally I think that it would be better to have the 4 crew quater racks in Node 3 as they are more out of the way as Node 2 is a busy junction and more exposed. I think the astronauts would rather have a more private module to sleep in, with the other 4 rack spaces for storage and habitation. Just my opinion... :D

Just out of interest, the 'new galley' launched on STS-126, where will this go? There woud be plenty of space in the Node 3 hatch area, as no other components apart from PMA3 will be attached to the module, so that's a useful area to have a crew dining area.. :)

Well if you really want a prvate place, there is always the ELM-PS, although I am pretty sure that it does not provide power to racks or has enough ventilation for three- four people

Online Ronsmytheiii

• Global Moderator
« Reply #61 on: 12/01/2008 11:14 pm »
Cupola looks like it is getting fit checks:
« Last Edit: 12/01/2008 11:15 pm by Ronsmytheiii »

Online Ronsmytheiii

• Global Moderator
« Reply #62 on: 12/02/2008 06:41 pm »
from today:

Offline ShuttleDiscovery

• NASA's first teenage astronaut
  • UK
    • Shuttle Discovery's Space Page
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #63 on: 12/02/2008 08:07 pm »
Thanks for the screenshots.

Offline marshallsplace

• UK
    • music website
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #64 on: 09/01/2009 02:41 pm »
Work progressing on Cupola:

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 699
  • Likes Given: 723
« Reply #65 on: 09/01/2009 03:09 pm »
It appears that the Cupola will be launched while mated to Node 3 via CBM. This means that CBM will have to withstand launch loads in this mated condition, which I don't imagine was one of the design criteria for CBM. I would bet that a lot of analysis was done to make this possible.

Has any other docking or berthing interface ever been launched with attached objects on both sides of the interfaces? I don't think so.

Offline Sesquipedalian

• Whee!
  • Liked: 302
  • Likes Given: 988
« Reply #66 on: 09/01/2009 03:15 pm »
It appears that the Cupola will be launched while mated to Node 3 via CBM. This means that CBM will have to withstand launch loads in this mated condition, which I don't imagine was one of the design criteria for CBM. I would bet that a lot of analysis was done to make this possible.

Has any other docking or berthing interface ever been launched with attached objects on both sides of the interfaces? I don't think so.

Wasn't Unity launched with PMAs attached to both ends via CBM?
« Last Edit: 09/01/2009 03:16 pm by Sesquipedalian »

Offline Chandonn

• Extreme Veteran
  • "Pudding!!! UNLIMITED Rice Pudding!!!"
  • Lexington, Ky
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #67 on: 09/01/2009 03:25 pm »

Wasn't Unity launched with PMAs attached to both ends via CBM?

Yes, PMA1 and PMA2 were already attached to Unity on STS-88.  The aft CBM has not been cycled AFAIK, the fore CBM was used to demate PMA2 and mate Destiny.  So, we know the CBMs can still function after being launched with a load attached.
« Last Edit: 09/01/2009 03:25 pm by Chandonn »

Offline Norm Hartnett

• Elite Veteran
  • Liked: 74
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #68 on: 09/09/2009 09:22 pm »
http://www.nasawatch.com/archives/2009/09/node_3_location.html

I was hoping to see some comment on this decision here but everyone is silent.

Budget is driving choices that will end up costing the program more in the long run is my initial take.

Relocating (swapping) both Node 3 and PLM doesn't strike me as very practical or easy. No indication as to the final resting place for PMA3 is given either, presumably Node 3 Port.

This decision ought to be pointed out to Congress, it will clearly put an end to any possible future expansion of the station.
« Last Edit: 09/09/2009 09:26 pm by Norm Hartnett »
“You can’t take a traditional approach and expect anything but the traditional results, which has been broken budgets and not fielding any flight hardware.” Mike Gold - Apollo, STS, CxP; those that don't learn from history are condemned to repeat it: SLS.

Offline erioladastra

• Liked: 222
« Reply #69 on: 09/11/2009 02:40 am »
http://www.nasawatch.com/archives/2009/09/node_3_location.html

I was hoping to see some comment on this decision here but everyone is silent.

Budget is driving choices that will end up costing the program more in the long run is my initial take.

Relocating (swapping) both Node 3 and PLM doesn't strike me as very practical or easy. No indication as to the final resting place for PMA3 is given either, presumably Node 3 Port.

This decision ought to be pointed out to Congress, it will clearly put an end to any possible future expansion of the station.

No it does not put any end.  There are still options one of which could be moving Node 3.  However, the issue was whether to do that now.  After all the work to head towards putting Node 3 on the port, to move it back to nadir would cost a huge amount now if it were to happen next year.  The big driver is the end of the shuttle.  If there were more time it could be accomodated more reasonably.  But to replan at such a late date was too risky.  There are other options for growth so nothing is blocked.  Now, perhaps things could have been better planned out but we are where we are - the ending of the shuttle is a huge impact to ISS and this is one example.

Offline arkaska

• Sweden
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #70 on: 09/11/2009 10:28 am »
What's the big cost in
moving it back to node1 z? The extra EVAs needed?

Offline cneth

• Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #71 on: 09/11/2009 01:33 pm »
What's the big cost in
moving it back to node1 z? The extra EVAs needed?

The presentation on L2 made it quite clear that it was Avionics Software changes, and then the required testing, simulation, and training that goes along with all that.  The presentation indicated that approximately 400 PCS displays were impacted, and that was just one system... 

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
  • Liked: 659
  • Likes Given: 7692
« Reply #72 on: 09/11/2009 03:07 pm »
There are other options for growth so nothing is blocked. 

I hope people are reading between the lines on this one...

Take it as you like.  ;)

Offline Norm Hartnett

• Elite Veteran
  • Liked: 74
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #73 on: 09/11/2009 03:09 pm »
No it does not put any end.  There are still options one of which could be moving Node 3.  However, the issue was whether to do that now.  After all the work to head towards putting Node 3 on the port, to move it back to nadir would cost a huge amount now if it were to happen next year.  The big driver is the end of the shuttle.  If there were more time it could be accomodated more reasonably.  But to replan at such a late date was too risky.  There are other options for growth so nothing is blocked.  Now, perhaps things could have been better planned out but we are where we are - the ending of the shuttle is a huge impact to ISS and this is one example.

Thanks Eric,

Assuming that Augustine Committee recommendations are adopted, at least as far as the more realistic Shuttle end date of mid 2011 and the extension of ISS to 2020, and assuming these activities are fully funded...

LOL - OK that's too many assumptions even for me.

I hope that Congress can and will restore enough funding within the 2010 and 2011 budgets to get Node 3 back where it belongs.
“You can’t take a traditional approach and expect anything but the traditional results, which has been broken budgets and not fielding any flight hardware.” Mike Gold - Apollo, STS, CxP; those that don't learn from history are condemned to repeat it: SLS.

Offline rdale

• Assistant to the Chief Meteorologist
  • Lansing MI
  • Liked: 1415
  • Likes Given: 171
« Reply #74 on: 09/11/2009 03:09 pm »
There are other options for growth so nothing is blocked. 

I hope people are reading between the lines on this one...

For those of us who can't ;) can you explain what's in between the lines?

Offline erioladastra

• Liked: 222
« Reply #75 on: 09/12/2009 12:55 am »

Thanks Eric,

Assuming that Augustine Committee recommendations are adopted, at least as far as the more realistic Shuttle end date of mid 2011 and the extension of ISS to 2020, and assuming these activities are fully funded...

LOL - OK that's too many assumptions even for me.

I hope that Congress can and will restore enough funding within the 2010 and 2011 budgets to get Node 3 back where it belongs.

At this point even extending the shuttle to 2011 won't change where Node 3 goes at this point.  If we add more shuttles and Orion is really coming in the 'near future', then it might move.  However, like I said, there is not neccesarily a reason to at this point.  A lot depends on what happens in the ISS program and if a real need is identified.

Offline arkaska

• Sweden
« Reply #76 on: 09/12/2009 05:59 pm »

At this point even extending the shuttle to 2011 won't change where Node 3 goes at this point.  If we add more shuttles and Orion is really coming in the 'near future', then it might move.  However, like I said, there is not neccesarily a reason to at this point.  A lot depends on what happens in the ISS program and if a real need is identified.

And the only real reason I can see is if another module coming up. And that's a BIG if.

Offline Orbiter

• Florida
  • Liked: 1548
  • Likes Given: 1385
« Reply #77 on: 09/12/2009 06:40 pm »

And the only real reason I can see is if another module coming up. And that's a BIG if.

Well, erm, we do have another module coming up. PLM Raffaello. ;)
KSC Engineer, astronomer, rocket photographer.

Offline arkaska

• Sweden
« Reply #78 on: 09/12/2009 08:16 pm »

But that will have its place on Node 1 zenith. I was talking about a module that isn't planned today and will need a place currently not available.

Offline Chandonn

• Extreme Veteran
  • "Pudding!!! UNLIMITED Rice Pudding!!!"
  • Lexington, Ky
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #79 on: 09/12/2009 10:51 pm »

But that will have its place on Node 1 zenith. I was talking about a module that isn't planned today and will need a place currently not available.

Nit (because it's often-repeated): If it goes on Node 1 Zenith, they'll have to move the Z1 truss.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography