Author Topic: South Korea and the "Launcher Club"  (Read 44619 times)

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 699
  • Likes Given: 723
Reliance on Russia 'Wasted 15 Years of Rocket Development'
« Reply #20 on: 05/28/2012 04:14 pm »
Reliance on Russia 'Wasted 15 Years of Rocket Development'

http://english.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2012/05/24/2012052401230.html

Korea's rocket technology remains at the level of Japan's in the 1960s even though its satellite technology may be superior, an expert at the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency told the Asahi Shimbun last Thursday. The comments came a day before Korea's Arirang-3 satellite (also known as KOMPSAT-3) was put into orbit by Japan's H-2A rocket.

Korea began developing a space rocket in 1998. Initially, it tried to develop a small scientific research rocket and bundle several of them together to create a home-grown booster. But slow progress prompted Korea to turn to Russian technology in 2002.

But this has been a disappointment. Russia declined to transfer rocket technology in 2006 and decided instead to build a booster and hand it over to Korea. Korea had to postpone its satellite launch plans while Russia kept making new demands.

"If we had severed technological ties with Russia and pursued independent research on rocket development back then, we would be testing our own first-stage booster now," said Cho Jin-soo at Hanyang University. "We won't be able to find out why any launch fails unless we develop our own rocket."

"The launch of the Naro rocket was pursued hastily due to political concerns," said Chang Young-keun at Korea Aerospace University. "We need to devise a new strategy and go back to the drawing board using our own technology."
« Last Edit: 05/28/2012 04:14 pm by Danderman »

Offline Prober

• Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
  • Liked: 721
  • Likes Given: 729
Re: South Korea and the "Launcher Club"
« Reply #21 on: 09/05/2012 11:05 am »
Nano Rocket progress with the shipment being sucessfull .....this happend two days ago.
2017 - Everything Old is New Again.
"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant..." --Isoroku Yamamoto

Offline Prober

• Nevada
« Reply #22 on: 09/11/2012 03:32 pm »
NARO-1 Rocket launch date announced today Oct. 26-31 2012

Would like to find out more info on this rocket found only a couple of items.

http://space.skyrocket.de/doc_lau/naro-1.htm

"The Naro-1 (also known as KSLV-1) is the first south korean orbital launch vehicle. It consistes of a russian built first stage, which is mostly identical to the URM-1 first stage of the Angara rocket, but using a downrated RD-151 instead of the RD-191 engine. The second stage is a korean developed small solid fuel kick motor with 3-axis control. This combination is only capable to launch very benign microsatellites and will be replaced by a rocket with a more optimized upper stage for higher performance.'

« Last Edit: 09/11/2012 06:30 pm by Prober »

Offline Victory O

• Australia
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #23 on: 10/10/2012 07:11 am »
if this attempt fails again (only suppose so), will the koreans say:'ah, it is the russians' fault' or 'it is a partially success' for the 3rd time? ::)

Offline sdsds

• “With peace and hope for all mankind.”
  • Seattle
  • Liked: 2050
  • Likes Given: 1962
« Reply #24 on: 10/10/2012 07:42 am »
if this attempt fails again [...] ?

It's a hypothetical question; inherently difficult to answer. Moreover you perhaps meant it rhetorically. But I think the answer is given just above:
"If we had severed technological ties with Russia and pursued independent research on rocket development back then, we would be testing our own first-stage booster now," said Cho Jin-soo at Hanyang University. "We won't be able to find out why any launch fails unless we develop our own rocket."

That's a key understanding: they didn't negotiate with their supplier for sufficient "insight."
— 𝐬𝐝𝐒𝐝𝐬 —

Offline Prober

• Nevada
« Reply #25 on: 10/24/2012 01:46 pm »
Looks like South Korea has plans to grow in the launcher market.

"Regardless of the outcome of Friday's launch, Seoul plans to move ahead with a second five-year space development program that seeks to develop its own main thrust engine.

Under the long-term development plan, the country plans to develop a 10-ton thrust engine by 2016, followed by the development and test launch of a 75-ton thrust engine in 2018. It seeks to launch its first indigenous space rocket in 2021."

http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/techscience/2012/10/24/91/0601000000AEN20121024010700320F.HTML

Offline Prober

• Nevada
Just saw a live update on where S.K is after Naro.   
Claim they have a homegrown engine same as the Russian engine.

All aerospace buildings are being torn down or upgraded for a new LV. 

Video link http://www.arirang.co.kr/Player/News_Vod.asp?code=News&nSeq=146155
« Last Edit: 04/18/2013 03:21 pm by Prober »

Offline Prober

• Nevada
Korea's space program enters next phase KSLV-2
http://www.arirang.co.kr/News/News_View.asp?code=Ne5&nseq=146155

"We did obtain invaluable knowledge from them, and worked our way up to emulating their technologies. In fact, we've also developed an engine identical to the ones used in Naro on our own as we prepare to develop the next engine for the KSLV-2."

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3974
  • Likes Given: 220

"We did obtain invaluable knowledge from them, and worked our way up to emulating their technologies. In fact, we've also developed an engine identical to the ones used in Naro on our own as we prepare to develop the next engine for the KSLV-2."

Home grown space shuttle, they are certainly aiming high, which is no bad thing I suppose.

Offline Lars_J

• California
  • Liked: 677
  • Likes Given: 195

Yeah, right. They suddenly know how to build an equivalent engine to the RD-151? I'll believe it when I see it.

They are basically starting over from scratch after the KSLV-1. Not much, if any, direct heritage. Neither the 1st nor the 2nd stage of KSLV-1 will be adapted for KSLV-2. And they are aiming for a 2018 launch.

I'm not sure why you are so bullish on their success on other threads, Prober.
« Last Edit: 04/18/2013 10:48 pm by Lars_J »

Offline Prober

• Nevada
Reply to Lars  think its the RD-191?

http://www.russianspaceweb.com/angara.html   

Impressive if duplicated?

Offline Lars_J

• California
Reply to Lars  think its the RD-191?

http://www.russianspaceweb.com/angara.html   

Impressive if duplicated?

KSLV-1 used the RD-151, a lower thrust version of the RD-191.

It would be impressive, but I'm skeptical.

Offline Mr. D

• Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 0

Yeah, right. They suddenly know how to build an equivalent engine to the RD-151? I'll believe it when I see it.

They are basically starting over from scratch after the KSLV-1. Not much, if any, direct heritage. Neither the 1st nor the 2nd stage of KSLV-1 will be adapted for KSLV-2. And they are aiming for a 2018 launch.

I'm not sure why you are so bullish on their success on other threads, Prober.

I'd just like to point out two things:
1) That engine picture is most definitely a gas generator, what with the turbopump exhaust and all. Not even vaguely equivalent to a RD-170 derivative.

2) The fact that they use such a powerful second stage (with >1/4 the thrust of the first stage) indicates that these are, in fact, low-performance engines. Exactly the same as Ariane 1, 2, 3 and 4. Compare to the 1/16 ratio of the F9 v1.0, or  the 1/9 ratio of Zenit. Or their engineers are utterly unconcerned about maximizing the use of their pricey parts.

Offline input~2

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1540
  • Likes Given: 567
« Reply #33 on: 04/25/2013 11:41 am »

Offline thydusk666

• I see dead pixels in the sky!
  • Europe
  • Liked: 8
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #34 on: 04/25/2013 01:22 pm »
Looks like an imaginary Falcon4 for the 1st and 2nd stages, with a 3rd transfer stage instead of the Dragon.

However, I notice that the 2nd stage diameter is smaller than the 1st, which would require different tooling hence added expense.

Offline Prober

• Nevada
« Reply #35 on: 04/25/2013 01:26 pm »
Looks like an imaginary Falcon4 for the 1st and 2nd stages, with a 3rd transfer stage instead of the Dragon.

However, I notice that the 2nd stage diameter is smaller than the 1st, which would require different tooling hence added expense.

Guess I posted the info in the wrong place....they have a new engine

edit by mod: see below
« Last Edit: 04/25/2013 02:35 pm by input~2 »

Offline input~2

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1540
  • Likes Given: 567
« Reply #36 on: 04/25/2013 02:33 pm »

Guess I posted the info in the wrong place....they have a new engine

I have moved past KSLV-2-related posts in this thread

Offline Lars_J

• California
« Reply #37 on: 04/25/2013 05:03 pm »

Not only is the 2nd stage a smaller diameter than the 1st, but the 3rd stage is again slightly smaller diameter than the 2nd.

Why in the world would they do this? I suppose the only answer is that they are a government program with no real eye on the cost. All they know is that the government wants a domestic capability, so they will get  the funding they need for it anyway. They think they will, anyway.

Offline Prober

• Nevada
« Reply #38 on: 04/25/2013 06:33 pm »

Not only is the 2nd stage a smaller diameter than the 1st, but the 3rd stage is again slightly smaller diameter than the 2nd.

Why in the world would they do this? I suppose the only answer is that they are a government program with no real eye on the cost. All they know is that the government wants a domestic capability, so they will get  the funding they need for it anyway. They think they will, anyway.

from what I put together SKorea believes there is room for another player and since 2002 they have been working on their internal designs.

The one Electronics firm has a standard "nano" sat they hope to market around the world.  Also other Sat designs not shown.

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 699
  • Likes Given: 723
« Reply #39 on: 11/29/2013 03:03 pm »
Korean Government Aiming to Launch Its Own Space Vehicles by 2020

http://www.astrowatch.net/2013/11/korean-government-aiming-to-launch-its.html

Korea plans to develop a space vehicle on its own and launch it during the first half of 2020, and send up a lunar orbiter and a lunar lander for itself before the end of the same year. In the longer term, it is planning to explore Mars, asteroids, and deep space to join the ranks of space industry powerhouses. The Ministry of Science, ICT and Future Planning held the sixth National Space Committee meeting on November 26 and finalized its three major plans for space development – the Long-term Plan for Space Development, the Space Technology Industrialization Strategy, and the Modified KSLV Development Plan.

At the meeting, the government decided to hasten the development of the Korean Space Launch Vehicle (KSLV) by 15 months to complete it by June 2020. The purpose of the development of the KSLV, which stared in March 2010, is to put a 1.5 ton application satellite into low earth orbit at an altitude of 600 to 800 km. According to the new plan, the government is going to launch a test vehicle in December 2017, one year ahead of schedule, and then launch completed three-stage vehicles in December 2019 and June 2020. The government will also send up the lunar orbiter and lunar lander on the vehicles before the end of 2020, if the KSLV development turns out to be successful. All of the processes are to fulfill President Park Geun-hye’s promise to explore the moon on or before 2020.
« Last Edit: 11/29/2013 03:04 pm by Danderman »

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography