Author Topic: Rocket Engine Q&A  (Read 382936 times)

Offline baldusi

• Buenos Aires, Argentina
  • Liked: 2539
  • Likes Given: 8273
Re: Rocket Engine Q&A
« Reply #440 on: 07/02/2012 11:41 am »
The Japanese have their bleed expander cycle, which is replacing the GG of the open cycle with the expander, but still dumping the gases after they've passed through the turbine, in an open cycle. Apparently they can take it to something like 1,500kN. I guess it won't have good T/W, then?

Offline strangequark

• Co-Founder, Tesseract Space
  • San Francisco, CA
  • Liked: 226
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #441 on: 07/02/2012 04:13 pm »
The Japanese have their bleed expander cycle, which is replacing the GG of the open cycle with the expander, but still dumping the gases after they've passed through the turbine, in an open cycle. Apparently they can take it to something like 1,500kN. I guess it won't have good T/W, then?

Do you have a reference for that? I know about the LE-5B, but that's RL-10 class. I have heard about expander bleeds hypothetically going to higher thrust (which makes sense, you can have a much higher pressure ratio across the turbine), but I'm not aware of any high thrust production engines that use expander bleed.

As for T/W, LE-5B is about 50, which is in line with RL-10.

Offline baldusi

« Reply #442 on: 07/02/2012 04:32 pm »
Can't really remember where did I found this papers. I think it was Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Annual Technology discussion, or something like that. Please bear in mind that this is open cycle expander, not close cycle.

Offline gin455res

• bristol, uk
  • Liked: 42
  • Likes Given: 72
« Reply #443 on: 07/29/2012 08:32 pm »
How much of an engine's throttlability is due to nozzle constraints and how much is due to the pump?

And can multi-chambered engines with a single pump, stop the flow to individual chambers to increase throttlability (assuming a pump has a significantly wider power range than a single nozzle can except without the flow separating)?

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25240
  • Likes Given: 12115
« Reply #444 on: 07/30/2012 07:40 pm »
It's usually the injector design and the chamber design that affect throttleability. The nozzle doesn't have much to do with it.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline MP99

« Reply #445 on: 07/30/2012 09:09 pm »
Not over-expansion?

cheers, Martin

Offline Fequalsma

• Liked: 57
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #446 on: 08/01/2012 01:37 am »
Here's a talk by Al Miller, Boeing director for  787 Technology Integration
http://www.uwtv.org/video/player.aspx?mediaid=16215102

Most of the 787 performance improvement is due to the powerplant, much more than the structures.

From a systems level too, you might be better off investing your money in improved structures to reduce vehicle inert mass (i.e. the Boeing 787's fuel efficiency is mostly due to structure).

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25240
  • Likes Given: 12115
« Reply #447 on: 08/03/2012 05:06 pm »
Not over-expansion?

cheers, Martin
Ah, true.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline baldusi

« Reply #448 on: 10/23/2012 09:44 pm »
If the problem of using cooling on the turbo blades is that they suffer too much stress to tolerate the channels. As the size growths, does the law of surface to mass makes it possible to use channels? Or are the effect of strength non scalability bigger?

Offline Antares

• ABO^2
  • Done arguing with amateurs
  • Liked: 371
  • Likes Given: 228
« Reply #449 on: 10/24/2012 12:52 am »
Resonant frequencies in the turbopumps can also affect throttleability.

Nozzle expansion plays very little into throttleability.  You want the engine at full blast anywhere that would be a problem.
If I like something on NSF, it's probably because I know it to be accurate.  Every once in a while, it's just something I agree with.  Facts generally receive the former.

Offline gin455res

• bristol, uk
  • Liked: 42
  • Likes Given: 72
« Reply #450 on: 11/30/2012 07:21 am »
When designing a catalyst pack for decomposing peroxide or hydrazine, is there any attention given to the aerodynamics of the flow?

For example, would a tapering, or waisted, pack act like a venturi. That is, would it reduce the pressure in the flow. Reducing pressure in a reaction thats products have more mols (and consequently more volume) than the starting reactants is an additional mechanism (additional to the catalysis on the pack surface) to drive the reaction in a forwards direction.

And, can we even assume that mixed phase flows obey the Bernoulli equation that explained the venturi effect?

Offline strangequark

• San Francisco, CA
« Reply #451 on: 11/30/2012 07:25 pm »
When designing a catalyst pack for decomposing peroxide or hydrazine, is there any attention given to the aerodynamics of the flow?

For example, would a tapering, or waisted, pack act like a venturi. That is, would it reduce the pressure in the flow. Reducing pressure in a reaction thats products have more mols (and consequently more volume) than the starting reactants is an additional mechanism (additional to the catalysis on the pack surface) to drive the reaction in a forwards direction.

And, can we even assume that mixed phase flows obey the Bernoulli equation that explained the venturi effect?

That's undesirable. Reduced pressure reduces the reaction rate, and increased velocity decreases the residence time. You'd have to have a much longer catalyst bed. There's also a loss of total pressure with higher flow rates.
« Last Edit: 11/30/2012 09:37 pm by strangequark »

Offline baldusi

« Reply #452 on: 11/30/2012 09:04 pm »
Why isn't oxidizer (LOX) never used to regeneratively cool the camber? It has a good deal more density to absorb the heat. Is it because it has bigger pressure losses? Because the risk of phase change?
The vortex method does use it, obviously. But has none of those issues.

Online mmeijeri

• Martijn Meijering
  • NL
  • Liked: 397
  • Likes Given: 822
« Reply #453 on: 11/30/2012 09:08 pm »
LOX cooling has been used experimentally, and apparently it's not as dangerous as it sounds, even if there are cracks. I came across a paper describing this on NTRS once. Skylon's SABRE is also meant to use LOX cooling.
Pro-tip: you don't have to be a jerk if someone doesn't agree with your theories

Offline baldusi

« Reply #454 on: 11/30/2012 09:17 pm »
LOX cooling has been used experimentally, and apparently it's not as dangerous as it sounds, even if there are cracks. I came across a paper describing this on NTRS once. Skylon's SABRE is also meant to use LOX cooling.
I thought they use a He loop.

Online mmeijeri

• Martijn Meijering
  • NL
  • Liked: 397
  • Likes Given: 822
« Reply #455 on: 11/30/2012 09:25 pm »
That's for cooling the incoming air, it would use LOX for cooling the nozzle, as the LH2 is already used to cool the helium.
Pro-tip: you don't have to be a jerk if someone doesn't agree with your theories

Offline strangequark

• San Francisco, CA
« Reply #456 on: 11/30/2012 09:32 pm »
Why isn't oxidizer (LOX) never used to regeneratively cool the camber? It has a good deal more density to absorb the heat. Is it because it has bigger pressure losses? Because the risk of phase change?
The vortex method does use it, obviously. But has none of those issues.

Specific heat capacity is more important. Fuels, and LH2 especially, tend to have better specific heats. LH2 is something like 10 kJ/kg-K, whereas LOX is more like 1. So, for an engine with a 5.5 O/F ratio, the much smaller quantity of hydrogen can handle about twice the heat flux as the oxygen for the same temperature change. That, coupled with the additional aggressiveness of LOX/GOX toward your materials. Not impractical though, if there's enough benefits. Been proposed for plenty of engines, though they still tend to use the fuel first, and oxidizer as a supplement (i.e. fuel cooled combustion chamber, oxygen cooled nozzle).
« Last Edit: 11/30/2012 09:36 pm by strangequark »

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 699
  • Likes Given: 723
« Reply #457 on: 03/01/2013 04:41 pm »
Are there many examples of engines that were designed to burn hypergolic propellants that were converted to burn cryogenic prop instead (like LOX/Kerosine)? Is there an improvement in ISP burning LOX instead of Nitric Acid or N2O4?

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1318
  • Likes Given: 306
« Reply #458 on: 03/04/2013 01:02 pm »
Well, Titan went the other direction ... I believe both used variants of the LR-87/LR-91 for the first and second stages.
If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 699
  • Likes Given: 723
« Reply #459 on: 03/11/2013 05:17 pm »
For a vehicle with a single turbopump powered engine, do some open cycle systems use the exhaust of the turbopump for roll control or steering?

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography