Author Topic: New Russian LEO station?  (Read 3866 times)

Offline Nickolai

• Liked: 22
  • Likes Given: 4
New Russian LEO station?
« on: 04/10/2009 08:49 pm »
Novosti-kosmonavtiki is reporting the Russia is already planning to build an LEO station after ISS is de-orbited. Does anyone know where I could find information about that, or does anyone have any?

I believe they're going to use it for on-orbit assembly of interplanetary ships, but I'd like to get some more specifics if they're available.

Offline Vacuum.Head

• Still in the Cradle
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: New Russian LEO station?
« Reply #1 on: 04/11/2009 12:09 am »
FWIIW
"and gives the impression that whenever the ISS' working life is ended the Russian segment will actually live on by undocking from the US segment, which is likely to splashdown in the Pacific ocean"
Pictures and full article at
http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/hyperbola/2009/01/russia-plans-soyuz-cargo-retur.html#more
Presumably only the 'new' modules attached to Zvezda will be saved; Zarya, being US property, will be toast.
----------------------------------------
"...all the Universe or nothing." Oswald Cabal
["Shape of Things to Come" U.K. 1936  (Dir. William Cameron Menzies)]

Offline Nickolai

« Reply #2 on: 04/11/2009 12:37 am »
Wow, that link was VERY useful, mostly it was the presentation within it that I liked, it proposed some really advanced stuff!

I'm kind of surprised, however, that Russia is going to literally pull out from the ISS. Won't Zvezda be too old and worn out? It's service life is nearly up already, are they going to replace it?

Offline fregate

• Space Association of Australia
  • Melbourne Australia
  • Liked: 144
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #3 on: 04/11/2009 06:52 am »
FWIIW
"and gives the impression that whenever the ISS' working life is ended the Russian segment will actually live on by undocking from the US segment, which is likely to splashdown in the Pacific ocean"
Pictures and full article at
http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/hyperbola/2009/01/russia-plans-soyuz-cargo-retur.html#more
Presumably only the 'new' modules attached to Zvezda will be saved; Zarya, being US property, will be toast.
I agree - the core Russian-build module Zarja has been PRE-paid by Boeing. It will be matter of OWNERSHIP.

BTW There is a twin of Zvezda module FGB collects dust so far...

Novosti Kosmonavtiki message was avout a brand new Russian Orbital Station with Mir's orbit inclanation. That is confirmed in technical specs for a new manned spaceship with codename "PPTS"  (aka Orionskiy).   
« Last Edit: 04/11/2009 06:53 am by fregate »
"Selene, the Moon. Selenginsk, an old town in Siberia: moon-rocket  town" Vladimir Nabokov

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21452
  • Likes Given: 428
« Reply #4 on: 04/11/2009 01:39 pm »
Novosti-kosmonavtiki is reporting the Russia is already planning to build an LEO station after ISS is de-orbited. Does anyone know where I could find information about that, or does anyone have any?

I believe they're going to use it for on-orbit assembly of interplanetary ships, but I'd like to get some more specifics if they're available.

Just more powerpoint nonsense that comes to the surfaces every so often. 

The ISS is looking at a extension to 2020

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 699
  • Likes Given: 723
« Reply #5 on: 04/11/2009 01:52 pm »

There is a twin of the Zarya FGB at Khrunichev. If there is a 2nd base block module available, that would be big news.

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
« Reply #6 on: 04/11/2009 01:54 pm »
Just more powerpoint nonsense that comes to the surfaces every so often. 

The ISS is looking at a extension to 2020

You know, the Russian adoption of computer graphics and Power Point technology is probably going to hurt them as much as it hurt us. They are quickly learning that Power Point spacecraft never fail.

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21452
  • Likes Given: 428
« Reply #7 on: 04/11/2009 02:04 pm »

There is a twin of the Zarya FGB at Khrunichev. If there is a 2nd base block module available, that would be big news.

No, that is being converted into the MLM for the ISS
« Last Edit: 04/11/2009 02:05 pm by Jim »

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
« Reply #8 on: 04/11/2009 06:24 pm »

No, that is being converted into the MLM for the ISS

Let me be clear: the FGB backup article (Zarya II) is being converted into the MLM. I am unaware of any Zvezda backup article in existence.

Offline pm1823

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #9 on: 04/12/2009 04:13 am »
Don't know origin, but...

Offline Nickolai

« Reply #10 on: 04/12/2009 04:40 am »
Don't know origin, but...

This looks very similar to Energia's plans for a Mars mission (http://www.energia.ru/energia/mars/condition.html).

In general the idea of using an electric propulsion system as a tug is interesting, but as someone noted earlier, this is more likely to be one of those poewrpoint projects.

On a separate note, the PDF that Vacuum.Head had posted (and that I have attached) shows two "Science Power Modules," but I don't really understand: are they supposed to be manned modules with solar arrays at the end, or just support structures for said solar arrays?

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography