Author Topic: LIVE: GSLV D5 (MkII) GSAT-14, January 5, 2014 (1048UTC)  (Read 178811 times)

Offline antriksh

• Liked: 132
  • Likes Given: 107
« Last Edit: 08/17/2013 09:35 am by antriksh »
Nasadiya Sukta:
Srishti se pehle sat nahin thaa, asat bhi nahin | Antariksh bhi nahin, aakaash bhi nahin thaa | chhipaa thaa kyaa, kahaan, kisne dhakaa thaa | us pal to agam, atal jal bhi kahaan thaa ||

From: 1st verse of 129th Hymn of the 10th Book of Rig Veda

Offline antriksh

Re: GSLV D5 (MkII) GSAT-14, August 19, 2013 (ETD 1120UTC)
« Reply #61 on: 08/17/2013 09:36 am »
GSLV D5 Integration

« Last Edit: 08/17/2013 09:36 am by antriksh »
Nasadiya Sukta:
Srishti se pehle sat nahin thaa, asat bhi nahin | Antariksh bhi nahin, aakaash bhi nahin thaa | chhipaa thaa kyaa, kahaan, kisne dhakaa thaa | us pal to agam, atal jal bhi kahaan thaa ||

Offline kanaka

• Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #62 on: 08/17/2013 02:49 pm »
A very serious security breach has happened. Without the knowledge of ISRO officials some one has secretly intruded into the ISRO premises and shot the videos using spy cams. What is the ISRO security department doing  ? Who is responsible for these serious security breach? Also how come the composition and working of Cryogenic has been made public? We strictly need explanation for these things.

Offline Silmfeanor

• Utrecht, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 403
  • Likes Given: 722
« Reply #63 on: 08/17/2013 04:00 pm »
A very serious security breach has happened. Without the knowledge of ISRO officials some one has secretly intruded into the ISRO premises and shot the videos using spy cams. What is the ISRO security department doing  ? Who is responsible for these serious security breach? Also how come the composition and working of Cryogenic has been made public? We strictly need explanation for these things.

Huh? why are these security breaches? they are very clearly made to broadcast and contain no special information that would be secret -anyone who reads a few wikipedia pages would have had the same information.
Also, These videos are clearly made to be published. Stacking of stages is nothing special - you see that all the time. Look at some Ariane thread updates, they have lots of stacking videos.
Cryogenic engine composition and working is also not very special - you can find the same information everywhere on the net. The real hard parts, such as turbopump impeller blades and specific metallurgic techniques are not in these videos...
I can assure you that this is not a security breach, these are made by the PR department.

Offline baldusi

• Buenos Aires, Argentina
  • Liked: 2539
  • Likes Given: 8273
« Reply #64 on: 08/17/2013 04:13 pm »
Technically, the coolest engine was the RD-0120, since it used subcooled H2 on the Energyia.  :P

Offline input~2

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1540
  • Likes Given: 567
« Reply #65 on: 08/17/2013 07:22 pm »
A1669/13 -  REF VOMM NOTAM A1615/13, WMKK NOTAM A1825/13 AND VCBI NOTAM A0395/13.  GSLV-D5 ROCKET LAUNCH FM SHAR RANGE, SRIHARIKOTA, INDIA IS SCHEDULED ON 19TH AUGUST 2013 BTN 1045-1345 UTC.  ATC MAY   RE-ROUTE TRAFFIC DURING THE PERIOD AS PER ROUTINGS GIVEN IN THE  ABOVE NOTAMS.  LAUNCH WINDOW FOR THE REMAINING PERIOD FROM 20TH AUGUST TO 5TH SEPT 2013 SHALL BE KEPT ALIVE FOR RESCHEDULING  OF LAUNCH IF REQUIRED. GND - UNL, 19 AUG 10:45 2013 UNTIL 19 AUG 13:45 2013. CREATED: 17 AUG 09:40 2013

Offline AJA

• Per Aspera Ad Ares, Per Aspera Ad Astra
  • India
  • Liked: 146
  • Likes Given: 212
« Reply #66 on: 08/17/2013 07:27 pm »
Video Imaging system is installed on the the vehicle. Hope they telecast the video and not just use it internally.

Gee, so hopefully this time we'll get to see some onboard footage from the rocket's perspective, as it takes off from the ground and ascends to orbit?

That's certainly one thing I've been missing while watching ISRO launches, in comparison to NASA and SpaceX launches. Seeing onboard video showing the progress of the flight is a lot better than watching ISRO's typical boring plotgraphs. This is long overdue.

Well, you'll have to wait for a while longer because I don't think the video's going to come down in real time. I don't think they've got the RF hardware that can offer the bandwidth for real-time video. From the brochure:

S-band telemetry and C-band transponders enable GSLV-D5 performance monitoring, tracking, range safety / flight safety and Preliminary Orbit Determination (POD).

From shuttle and ISS coverage, I'm guessing that they need a Ku pipeline to be able to stream video. GSAT-14 has the Ku hardware, but even if they did have some kind of power/data-connection from the vehicle to the satellite, you'd have to wait until fairing jettison and link acquisition to start getting video. By which time, the atmospheric phase would've been over. This is exactly as crazy as it sounds.

And given that none of the rocket's recoverable, I assume that the camera's on one of the orbital stages, and that the recorded data will be downlinked over several passes as they did with ATV-4 and Sterex. Even then, I'm not convinced that the camera is for launch imagery, and would look downward. It might just be to monitor the infamous shroud area (at the interface of the payload and the third stages) nearest to the flight-computer connectors.

Btw, Antriksh, where did you get the info from? If it was a personal contact, did you ask him/her if it was for engineering analysis of the CUS?
EDIT: Just read it in the brochure. So the imaging system is for monitoring this.

While it's definitely good design practice, I don't know what to make of the fact that they've got one onboard now, as opposed to the previous flights - where a camera would've had stronger justification given that those flights would've been even more 'developmental' rather than operational.

TL;DR - Fingers crossed that the presence of the camera doesn't correlate with the egghead's lack of confidence in the stage.
« Last Edit: 08/17/2013 08:17 pm by AJA »

Offline input~2

• Global Moderator

Offline sanman

• Liked: 1312
  • Likes Given: 8
Re: GSLV D5 (MkII) GSAT-14, August 19, 2013 (ETD 1100UTC)
« Reply #68 on: 08/17/2013 09:32 pm »
Regarding the assembly of the launch vehicle in the Vehicle Assembly Building and its subsequent transport to the launchpad on that slow crawler -- is this all necessary?

Why not just mount the building and launchpad on rail tracks to shift them in or out of the way, while leaving the launch vehicle stationary? Seems to me that these large structures are less critical than the launch vehicle itself, and so they could be shifted more rapidly and less gingerly without having to use a slow crawler type of pedestal.

Offline K210

• Liked: 284
  • Likes Given: 25
« Reply #69 on: 08/18/2013 06:37 am »

huh? It's made by ISRO how is it a security breech? One could get the same info by doing a google search

Offline Galactic Penguin SST

Launch time rescheduled at 1100UTC
Countdown for communication satellite GSLV-D5 launch to begin at 11.50am on Sunday

I don't think the launch time has moved - in fact the ISRO main page is now showing that the 29 hour countdown has commenced at 06:20 UTC.
Astronomy & spaceflight geek penguin. In a relationship w/ Space Shuttle Discovery. Current Priority: Chasing the Chinese Spaceflight Wonder Egg & A Certain Chinese Mars Rover

Offline seshagirib

• terra firma
  • Liked: 25
  • Likes Given: 37
« Reply #71 on: 08/18/2013 07:41 am »
status update ( http://isro.org/ ) : propellant loading of 2nd stage in progress.
astronaut on space ship earth

Offline input~2

• Global Moderator
« Reply #72 on: 08/18/2013 08:05 am »
Launch time rescheduled at 1100UTC
Countdown for communication satellite GSLV-D5 launch to begin at 11.50am on Sunday

I don't think the launch time has moved - in fact the ISRO main page is now showing that the 29 hour countdown has commenced at 06:20 UTC.
Yes, Times of India is now also quoting a 4:50pm (IST) launch time ::)
Indian space science at threshold of a new age as GSLV-D5 countdown begins

Offline seshagirib

• terra firma
« Reply #73 on: 08/18/2013 09:43 am »
^11:00 UTC should translate to 4:30 PM. IST not 4:50 PM. IST ??

Offline input~2

• Global Moderator
« Reply #74 on: 08/18/2013 11:54 am »
^11:00 UTC should translate to 4:30 PM. IST not 4:50 PM. IST ??
4:30pm (IST) /11:00UTC launch time was apparently a misunderstanding from the press (PTI) and has now been reverted to the original 4:50pm (IST)/11:20UTC

Offline seshagirib

• terra firma
« Reply #75 on: 08/18/2013 04:41 pm »
status update ( http://isro.org/ ) : propellant loading of 2nd stage in progress.

status update:

- 2nd stage propellant loading completed.
- strap on propellant loading in progress.

Offline AJA

• Per Aspera Ad Ares, Per Aspera Ad Astra
  • India
  • Liked: 146
  • Likes Given: 212
« Reply #76 on: 08/18/2013 07:21 pm »
Regarding the assembly of the launch vehicle in the Vehicle Assembly Building and its subsequent transport to the launchpad on that slow crawler -- is this all necessary?

Why not just mount the building and launchpad on rail tracks to shift them in or out of the way, while leaving the launch vehicle stationary? Seems to me that these large structures are less critical than the launch vehicle itself, and so they could be shifted more rapidly and less gingerly without having to use a slow crawler type of pedestal

They do that for the PSLV don't they? I don't think the pad-roll out is on the critical path. As in shaving time off there probably wouldn't enable faster launch processing. Moreover, I don't think it's less critical than the LV. If you break the VAB while moving it, that's going to cause delays and disrupt the next launch. And possibly even scrub the existing launch, since they don't want to risk further damage.

On the same topic however, SpaceX do highlight the horizontal integration facility they have for the Falcon 9 - pointing out how having everything on the same floor allows concurrent access to all stages within the same facility, and eliminates hoisting operations making stuff safer, and easier to move around. One drawback is increased susceptibility for radial creep (more so for a solid stage perhaps), depending on how long the stage is horizontal. But given that aerodynamic loads during ascent are probably stronger than self-weight, this shouldn't be a show-stopper. Further, it can be countered by a clinostat mount for all the stages. Then, there's the difficulty of erecting a heavy vehicle, without putting too much stress on any one part. But I think they SpaceX learnt from Soyuz, and we can too - given the similar classes of the launch vehicles.

I mention this because a horizontally integrated rocket, would have a higher 'safe' speed limit - although, again, I don't think roll-out is on the critical path.

Offline William Graham

• Liked: 236
  • Likes Given: 109
« Reply #77 on: 08/18/2013 10:02 pm »

Why not just mount the building and launchpad on rail tracks to shift them in or out of the way, while leaving the launch vehicle stationary? Seems to me that these large structures are less critical than the launch vehicle itself, and so they could be shifted more rapidly and less gingerly without having to use a slow crawler type of pedestal

They do that for the PSLV don't they? I don't think the pad-roll out is on the critical path. As in shaving time off there probably wouldn't enable faster launch processing. Moreover, I don't think it's less critical than the LV. If you break the VAB while moving it, that's going to cause delays and disrupt the next launch. And possibly even scrub the existing launch, since they don't want to risk further damage.

There are two active orbital launch complexes at SDSC, the PSLV and GSLV can both launch from either, although the GSLV hasn't flown from the First pad since the Second one was completed. This launch is from the Second pad.

Rockets launched from the First pad are assembled on the pad, rockets launched from the Second pad are assembled vertically and then rolled to the pad.

Offline sanman

• Liked: 1312
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #78 on: 08/19/2013 12:16 am »
But so that sort of makes it sound like the crawler thing is an evolutionary improvement over the pad assembly. Why is doing it the crawler way better than the old way?

Offline antriksh

« Reply #79 on: 08/19/2013 03:02 am »
But so that sort of makes it sound like the crawler thing is an evolutionary improvement over the pad assembly. Why is doing it the crawler way better than the old way?

Launch pad occupancy time reduces. Multiple VABs can share a single launch pad. 
Nasadiya Sukta:

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography