Author Topic: Recoverable Kwangmyongsong?  (Read 4881 times)

Offline Phillip Clark

• Hastings, England
  • Liked: 557
  • Likes Given: 1078
Recoverable Kwangmyongsong?
« on: 11/03/2017 12:25 pm »
One should always treat North Korea's spaceflight plans with more than a little skepticism but I have just found the attached illustration apparently depicting the recovery of a North Korean satellite:
https://engforum.pravda.ru/index.php?/topic/279773-north-korean-space-program/page-3

Is it possible for someone to translate the captions, please?

« Last Edit: 11/03/2017 01:13 pm by Phillip Clark »
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane - WJ.

Offline Phillip Clark

• Hastings, England
  • Liked: 557
  • Likes Given: 1078
Re: Recoverable Kwangmyongsong?
« Reply #1 on: 11/03/2017 12:31 pm »
Apologies - I posted this in the wrong section!   Could an administrator switch it to the "Other Launches" section please?

Edit/Lar: Done.
« Last Edit: 11/03/2017 01:04 pm by Lar »
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane - WJ.

Offline DreamyPickle

• Home
  • Liked: 921
  • Likes Given: 205
« Reply #2 on: 11/03/2017 02:56 pm »
That picture shows the recovering a capsule ejected from the satellite. Maybe they're doing photographic film return? This is very old technology that others have abandoned but could still be useful for NK.

« Reply #3 on: 12/09/2017 04:48 pm »
That picture shows the recovering a capsule ejected from the satellite. Maybe they're doing photographic film return? This is very old technology that others have abandoned but could still be useful for NK.
Haha... Stereotypes.

Offline Zed_Noir

• Canada
  • Liked: 1809
  • Likes Given: 1302
« Reply #4 on: 12/09/2017 09:26 pm »

Replace the film canister with either a solid state hard drive or a bunch memory cards along with a Go-Pro camera (ITAR busting permitting). Then don't see why it would be old tech. One must remember that the DPRK don't operated a network of ground stations to downlink from orbital assets.

edit typo
« Last Edit: 12/10/2017 07:29 am by Zed_Noir »

« Reply #5 on: 12/09/2017 10:07 pm »
Replace the film canister with either a solid state hard drive or a bunch memory cards along with a Go-Pro camera (ITAR busting permitting). Then don't see why it would be old tech. One must remember that the DPRK don't operation a network of ground stations to downlink from orbital assets.

Or for all we know it could be re-entry vehicle that is used once life span of satelite is over thus hardware that can be recovered could be re-used in another satelite as cost cutting measure.

Offline ChrisWilson68

• Sunnyvale, CA
  • Liked: 4992
  • Likes Given: 6459
« Reply #6 on: 12/09/2017 10:54 pm »
Replace the film canister with either a solid state hard drive or a bunch memory cards along with a Go-Pro camera (ITAR busting permitting). Then don't see why it would be old tech. One must remember that the DPRK don't operation a network of ground stations to downlink from orbital assets.

Or for all we know it could be re-entry vehicle that is used once life span of satelite is over thus hardware that can be recovered could be re-used in another satelite as cost cutting measure.

It's hard for me to believe you could save anything that way because you'd have to build additional hardware just to enable the return capsule, and some of that additional hardware would not be returned.

« Reply #7 on: 12/09/2017 11:38 pm »
It's hard for me to believe you could save anything that way because you'd have to build additional hardware just to enable the return capsule, and some of that additional hardware would not be returned.
It doesn't have to be additional if integrated with slight penalty.

You could have satellite for imagery and rotate 180 degress to back that is designed for re-entry, solar panels would be ripped to pieces while everything else would survive if body is blunt enough to slow down re-entry to acceptable level. Maybe pop-out solids to further slowdown to increase chances of parachute working.

Added benefit would be analyzing effects of space on hardware, modifying it and apllying lessons learned to next generation or two after it.

Offline ChrisWilson68

• Sunnyvale, CA
  • Liked: 4992
  • Likes Given: 6459
« Reply #8 on: 12/10/2017 05:43 pm »
It doesn't have to be additional if integrated with slight penalty.

You could have satellite for imagery and rotate 180 degress to back that is designed for re-entry, solar panels would be ripped to pieces while everything else would survive if body is blunt enough to slow down re-entry to acceptable level. Maybe pop-out solids to further slowdown to increase chances of parachute working.

Added benefit would be analyzing effects of space on hardware, modifying it and apllying lessons learned to next generation or two after it.

Please see this post upthread:

Maybe what you're talking about makes sense or maybe it doesn't -- that's for another thread -- but it's certainly not what's shown in the graphics we're analyzing here.

Offline input~2

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1540
  • Likes Given: 567
« Reply #9 on: 12/11/2017 04:24 pm »
One should always treat North Korea's spaceflight plans with more than a little skepticism but I have just found the attached illustration apparently depicting the recovery of a North Korean satellite:
https://engforum.pravda.ru/index.php?/topic/279773-north-korean-space-program/page-3

Is it possible for someone to translate the captions, please?

I'm not sure this helps much but the top caption (4 large characters) reads "in-gong wi-seong" which translates as "artificial satellite"

« Last Edit: 12/11/2017 04:43 pm by input~2 »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography