Author Topic: PMA 3  (Read 48371 times)

Offline civpilot

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
PMA 3
« on: 02/16/2010 02:15 pm »
Will PMA 3 ever be used again? All of the dockings have been on PMA 2 located on the front of the ISS.

Offline psloss

• Veteran armchair spectator
  • Liked: 4046
  • Likes Given: 2089
Re: PMA 3
« Reply #1 on: 02/16/2010 02:19 pm »
Will PMA 3 ever be used again? All of the dockings have been on PMA 2 located on the front of the ISS.
Probably not; however, it was used for both ISS-4A/STS-97 and ISS-5A/STS-98.

Offline Analyst

• Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #2 on: 02/16/2010 02:19 pm »
STS-97 and -98 did use PMA-3.

It is a backup for PMA-2. Likely won't ever used again.

Analyst

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 699
  • Likes Given: 723
« Reply #3 on: 02/16/2010 03:32 pm »
Could PMA3 fit into the "trunk" of Dragon for a destructive return to Earth?

Offline Sparky

• Connecticut
« Reply #4 on: 02/16/2010 03:48 pm »
I'd be more interested to know if it's possible to move PMA3 to Node3 Forward, and if there's enough clearance to fit a "lifeboat" Dragon equiped with APAS in the space between Tranquility and Kibo.

Offline CriX

• Regular
  • Lake Forest, CA
  • Liked: 27
  • Likes Given: 86
« Reply #5 on: 02/16/2010 04:46 pm »
What is the purpose of the crooked shape of the adapter?  Also, if applied to a port on the plane of the deck (not a zenith or nadir port) does it always have the same orientation and why? 

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21450
  • Likes Given: 428
« Reply #6 on: 02/16/2010 04:52 pm »
What is the purpose of the crooked shape of the adapter?  Also, if applied to a port on the plane of the deck (not a zenith or nadir port) does it always have the same orientation and why? 

Shuttle cabin clearance

Offline JayP

• Liked: 4
« Reply #7 on: 02/17/2010 02:32 am »
I'd be more interested to know if it's possible to move PMA3 to Node3 Forward, and if there's enough clearance to fit a "lifeboat" Dragon equiped with APAS in the space between Tranquility and Kibo.

Space to fit it in isn't the issue. It couldn't work because the approach and departure path for the Dragon would be thru the JEM.

Offline Sparky

• Connecticut
« Reply #8 on: 02/17/2010 03:38 am »

Space to fit it in isn't the issue. It couldn't work because the approach and departure path for the Dragon would be thru the JEM.

For approach and docking, you could use the SRMS, but is Dragon really not maneuverable enough to backup by a few feet, and use its maneuvering thrusters to move down?

Then again, what about Node 3 Zenith? Does Tranquility stick out far enough that the Z1 truss isn't an issue?

Offline Jorge

• Liked: 529
  • Likes Given: 67
« Reply #9 on: 02/17/2010 03:41 am »

For approach and docking, you could use the SRMS, but is Dragon really not maneuverable enough to backup by a few feet, and use its maneuvering thrusters to move down?

No, it's not. Not in all sets of initial conditions that a "lifeboat" could reasonably be expected to handle.

Then again, what about Node 3 Zenith? Does Tranquility stick out far enough that the Z1 truss isn't an issue?

Z1 was never going to be an issue. The Ku band antenna on the Z1, and the main truss, would be.
« Last Edit: 02/17/2010 04:20 am by Jorge »
JRF

Offline Sparky

• Connecticut
« Reply #10 on: 02/17/2010 05:42 am »

Z1 was never going to be an issue. The Ku band antenna on the Z1, and the main truss, would be.

Even with the PMA's "crookedness" aligned so Dragon is further aft?
Also, does anyone know if Dragon is capable of retracting its solar panels after they've been deployed?

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
« Reply #11 on: 02/17/2010 10:31 am »
, but is Dragon really not maneuverable enough to backup by a few feet, and use its maneuvering thrusters to move down?

It has no crew to maneuver it

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
« Reply #12 on: 02/17/2010 10:33 am »

Even with the PMA's "crookedness" aligned so Dragon is further aft?
Also, does anyone know if Dragon is capable of retracting its solar panels after they've been deployed?

It has not been determined whether Dragon is going to use the PMA's
« Last Edit: 02/17/2010 10:33 am by Jim »

Offline arkaska

• Sweden
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #13 on: 02/17/2010 10:53 am »

I think he was talking about the proposed crew-version.

From all I heard and based on SpaceX own website it will use CBM, which is most likely since that's the only port they can use if they want to transport whole racks.

Offline Jorge

• Liked: 529
  • Likes Given: 67
« Reply #14 on: 02/17/2010 01:57 pm »

From all I heard and based on SpaceX own website it will use CBM, which is most likely since that's the only port they can use if they want to transport whole racks.

I think he was talking about the proposed crew version, which might switch to LIDS.
JRF

Offline butters

• Liked: 1692
  • Likes Given: 597
« Reply #15 on: 02/17/2010 02:20 pm »
For approach and docking, you could use the SRMS

Does Dragon even have a grapple fixture for SSRMS?  Where is it?  Sensor bay maybe?

More on-topic... If any of the potential commercial spacecraft are to use LIDS, how would that be accommodated on ISS?  Would it be an APAS/LIDS adapter for PMA2/3, or would it be a new PMA for CBM/LIDS, and how would this hardware be delivered to the ISS?

Offline Chandonn

• Extreme Veteran
  • "Pudding!!! UNLIMITED Rice Pudding!!!"
  • Lexington, Ky
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #16 on: 02/17/2010 02:24 pm »
For approach and docking, you could use the SRMS

Does Dragon even have a grapple fixture for SSRMS?  Where is it?  Sensor bay maybe?

More on-topic... If any of the potential commercial spacecraft are to use LIDS, how would that be accommodated on ISS?  Would it be an APAS/LIDS adapter for PMA2/3, or would it be a new PMA for CBM/LIDS, and how would this hardware be delivered to the ISS?

It would be a CBM/LIDS adapter (probably a short tunnel without a hatch) delivered most likely, in the unpressurized bay of and HTV.

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
« Reply #17 on: 02/17/2010 03:18 pm »

Racks and crew don't go together

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
« Reply #18 on: 02/17/2010 03:19 pm »

It does by definition if it is going to berth to the ISS (which it is). 

Offline Sparky

• Connecticut
« Reply #19 on: 02/17/2010 03:20 pm »

Specifically, a lifeboat. I would certainly hope that there was crew aboard it if it were used as such.

I think he was talking about the proposed crew version, which might switch to LIDS.

Acording to SpaceX's site, Dragon will have both APAS and LIDS support. I just assumed that it would be easier to use the APAS on Node PMA 3 than to send up one more LIDS.

Also, wouldn't a CBM require somebody to shut the hatch from the inside? I hope that we aren't expecting the commander to go down with his ship.
« Last Edit: 02/17/2010 03:24 pm by Sparky »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography