Author Topic: SpaceX deploys large lobbying team  (Read 5890 times)

Offline KEdward5

• Dallas, TX
  • Liked: 28
  • Likes Given: 105
« Last Edit: 05/14/2012 05:01 PM by Chris Bergin »

Offline Andy USA

• Lead Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Los Angeles, California
  • Liked: 129
  • Likes Given: 126
Re: SpaceX deloys large lobbying team
« Reply #1 on: 05/12/2012 08:15 PM »
Had to edit out the question as it was probably libelous.

I'll rephrase the question for you by saying you're asking how/who pays for their services.

Offline Political Hack Wannabe

• Liked: 75
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #2 on: 05/12/2012 08:42 PM »
I wish everyone would actually go and learn about lobbying, policy and politics, and the like, instead of treating it like a black hole of corruption.  I particularly wish that were true about engineering types. 

Anyway, instead of cursing the darkness, I am going to try and light a match (or at least, suggest people try lighting the following match).  A few weeks ago, the radio show This American Life did a whole episode about lobbying and fundraising and so forth, both how its traditionally done, and the impact of Citizens United (although the Aerospace sector hasn't really been hit by the CU stuff, yet..)

You will learn a lot about what DC people do

Addendum

If you then want to see where the fundraising is going, try opensecrets.org

You'll find out who has donated, and how much.  And SpaceX is quite low on that totem poll. 
« Last Edit: 05/12/2012 09:04 PM by Political Hack Wannabe »
It's not democrats vs republicans, it's reality vs innumerate space cadet fantasy.

Offline tigerade

• Low Earth Orbit
  • Liked: 50
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #3 on: 05/12/2012 08:49 PM »
I see my post was deleted, which is fine.  I still want to give my 2 cents though.  SpaceX probably has much less lobbying power than other aerospace giants.  Also if they are using their own money via COTS payments or private investment they are fine spending this money.  SpaceX needs a voice to speak to Congressmen.  There is a real danger of commercial crew being neutered right now.  A downselect scenario would be detrimental to the future course of human spaceflight.

Offline Andy USA

• Lead Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Los Angeles, California
  • Liked: 129
  • Likes Given: 126
« Reply #4 on: 05/12/2012 09:00 PM »
Sorry Tigerade. I had already removed the quote from the first post, and you must have been replying before I did. So it was a dead post. Sent you a message. :)
« Last Edit: 05/12/2012 09:04 PM by Andy USA »

Offline neilh

• Pasadena, CA
  • Liked: 43
  • Likes Given: 148
« Reply #5 on: 05/12/2012 10:05 PM »
How does the size and cost of SpaceX's lobbying team compare to ATK's and Boeing's?
Someone is wrong on the Internet.
http://xkcd.com/386/

Offline tigerade

• Low Earth Orbit
  • Liked: 50
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #6 on: 05/12/2012 10:13 PM »
As we discussed, no problem Andy.  I don't want to feed a troll anyway.  ;D

How does the size and cost of SpaceX's lobbying team compare to ATK's and Boeing's?

Let me use this blog that was kindly given as a link for me:

http://spaceksc.blogspot.com/2012/05/liberty-and-pursuit-of-nasa.html

ATK and Lockheed Martin are lobbying heavyweights on Capitol Hill. According to OpenSecrets.org, ATK has already spent $390,000 on lobbying in 2012 after spending $1.36 million in 2011. OpenSecrets.org classified Lockheed Martin as a "heavy hitter" which spent $15.1 million in 2011 on lobbying.

The SpaceX political action committee, in contrast, has spent $78,000 in 2012. A blog called The BLT reported in December 2011 that SpaceX spent $500,000 in lobbying in 2011 but did not cite a source for that claim.

It is clear that SpaceX's lobbying efforts are dwarfed by ATK and LM.

Offline edfishel

• Liked: 19
  • Likes Given: 66
« Reply #7 on: 05/12/2012 11:37 PM »
Even with the addition of the professional lobbying firm, the money Space X is spending is small compared with other major lobbying efforts.  My guess is that they have brought on the additional help (beyond their own staff) to fan out across Capitol Hill and educate members of congress about what is happening on this flight...give them a better sense of perspective about this being a "test flight" and not put so much pressure on Space X for a perfect outcome.  When you consider the salaries of professional lobbyists in Washington, the $240,000 that SpaceX was reported to have spent in the first quarter appears to me to be small.

Offline JohnFornaro

• Not an expert
  • Delta-t is the salient metric.
  • Planet Eaarth
    • Design / Program Associates
  • Liked: 620
  • Likes Given: 326
« Reply #8 on: 05/14/2012 12:51 PM »
If the title of the OP is reworded to "SpaceX deploys large lobbying team", then I am wondering whether they deployed them to LEO?
Sometimes I just flat out don't get it.

Offline mrmandias

• US
  • Liked: 29
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #9 on: 05/14/2012 01:39 PM »
Given how complex the federal government is and how many fingers the feds have in the national pie, Congress has woefully inadequate and undertrained staff.  Lobbyists feel the void of information and expertise, with a dollop of corruption added for spice.  Its a messy system, but its probably the best one we got.

Offline CommercialSpaceFan

• Liked: 12
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #10 on: 05/21/2012 11:53 PM »
It is really amazing how little money actually is spent on lobbying.  A lot of this money is actually very useful in "educating" Congress about the indutry (if a little biased) which is a useful function.

Comparing LM's or ATK's spending to SpaceX isn't particularly apples to apples as they are in much broader business.  LM's 4th Q 2011 Sales were $12.2B, ATK's 2nd Q 2011 sales were $1.4B.  SpaceX's sales were maybe in the $10's of millions.

Offline JohnFornaro

• Not an expert
  • Delta-t is the salient metric.
  • Planet Eaarth
    • Design / Program Associates
  • Liked: 620
  • Likes Given: 326
Re: SpaceX deploys large lobbying team
« Reply #11 on: 05/22/2012 12:36 AM »
It is really amazing how little money actually is spent on lobbying.  A lot of this money is actually very useful in "educating" Congress about the indutry (if a little biased) which is a useful function.

I'd guess that lobbying is more effective than advertising, since it's more targeted.  Lord knows, Congress needs a good bit of education.  The only problem is that the oil companies, the polluters, defense contractors, big pharma, and all are stretching the limits of the definition of "education" to the breaking point.  They're mostly about getting money for their sector at the expense of other sectors, and not at all about educating themselves about all sectors, so as to educate Congress on how best to prioritize the nation's budget allocations.  If they did this, they'd admit to really needing less money than they claim to need, so that's not likely to happen.
Sometimes I just flat out don't get it.

Offline RocketEconomist327

• Rocket Economist
  • Infecting the beltway with fiscal responsibility, limited government, and free markets.
  • Liked: 82
  • Likes Given: 62
« Reply #12 on: 05/22/2012 03:18 AM »

Comparing LM's or ATK's spending to SpaceX isn't particularly apples to apples as they are in much broader business.  LM's 4th Q 2011 Sales were $12.2B, ATK's 2nd Q 2011 sales were $1.4B.  SpaceX's sales were maybe in the $10's of millions.

You spend a few million for hundreds of millions, if not billions...

...and this is how it works.

VR
RE327
You can talk about all the great things you can do, or want to do, in space; but unless the rocket scientists get a sound understanding of economics (and quickly), the US space program will never achieve the greatness it should.

Putting my money where my mouth is.

Tags: