Author Topic: Mitt Romney and NASA's Budget  (Read 12906 times)

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 356
  • Likes Given: 460
Re: Mitt Romney and NASA's Budget
« Reply #20 on: 04/23/2012 04:19 PM »
I don't know. But if I did have a guess, I would post it with the title "This is how much I think Mitt Romney will cut NASA" thread ;)

Since Romney's plan cuts discretionary funding by 20%, and NASA's budget falls under discretionary spending, I think it is fair to say that NASA's budget is in line to be cut by 20% unless and until Romney specifically states otherwise.  If Romney cared about the issue, he would make it clear.

« Last Edit: 04/23/2012 04:19 PM by Danderman »

Offline Lee Jay

• Elite Veteran
  • Global Moderator
  • Liked: 970
  • Likes Given: 139
« Reply #21 on: 04/23/2012 04:42 PM »
So if Romney and the author both agree that a 20% cut would never work for NASA, how can you come and conclude that Romney & the author are saying NASA will be cut 20%? It's obvious - the author of this story (and Romney) are not proposing cutting NASA's budget 20%. The headline of this post is not correct.

In other words, it's just an empty campaign promise (I mean the entire Romney budge), just like many others.  It has no chance to pass any kind of Congress so it's still born.  So why propose it?

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #22 on: 04/23/2012 04:51 PM »
Thread title changed as it's misleading per mod reports.
« Last Edit: 04/23/2012 04:59 PM by Chris Bergin »

Offline jongoff

• Recovering Rocket Plumber/Space Entrepreneur
  • Lafayette/Broomfield, CO
  • Liked: 2195
  • Likes Given: 759
« Reply #23 on: 04/23/2012 05:32 PM »
So if Romney and the author both agree that a 20% cut would never work for NASA, how can you come and conclude that Romney & the author are saying NASA will be cut 20%? It's obvious - the author of this story (and Romney) are not proposing cutting NASA's budget 20%. The headline of this post is not correct.

In other words, it's just an empty campaign promise (I mean the entire Romney budge), just like many others.  It has no chance to pass any kind of Congress so it's still born.  So why propose it?

Oh that's easy. In politics, you propose something unrealistic that you know someone else will balk at, and then you can blame *them* for screwing things up--not yourself for not coming up with a more realistic compromise. As a friend at NASA Ames once put it "it's not about whether you win or lose, but how you place the blame."

~Jon

Offline Gene DiGennaro

• Armchair Astronaut
  • Baltimore, Md
    • Glenn L. Martin Maryland Aviation Museum
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #24 on: 04/23/2012 05:34 PM »
NASA may not get a 20% across the board cut under Romney.

Of course any budget submitted by a President most be voted upon by the Congress, so a 20% cut may not stand there. Think of the blowback from Obama's FY 2011 budget proposal. Orion was resurrected as was the heavy lift launcher. Some blowback from legislature would be expected to a 20% cut.

In addition, Romeny could in theory propose a 20% cut in discretionary spending but could also consider a robust space program as a matter of national security, thus sparing NASA from an outright 20% cut. Remember that national security, diplomacy, and soft power projection has played well for NASA in the past.

In that scenario, certain projects could be "cherry picked" for a cut, an increase or outright cancellation. All subject to legislative approval of course.

Offline rdale

• Assistant to the Chief Meteorologist
  • Lansing MI
  • Liked: 239
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #25 on: 04/23/2012 07:26 PM »
I think it is fair to say that NASA's budget is in line to be cut by 20%

No, it really isn't.

If Romney cared about the issue, he would make it clear.

Absolutely correct. I know it's hard for non-Americans to grasp this still, but NASA isn't on the top of the priority list for Americans.

Offline John Duncan

• Odenville, Al
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #26 on: 04/24/2012 12:06 AM »
Consider the source, people.  I don't read HufPo but I look at Drudge now and again.  I always have my 10lb block of salt sitting next to me when I do.

A high percentage of what we read in the news is to aggravate either one side or another to get them out shaking the bushes for votes.

Who knows where we will be a year from now.
-John
"We'll remember the Shuttle days with fondness 20 years from now when we still don't have a replacement.  The something we had was better than the nothing we wound up with."

www.apollosaturn.com

Offline jongoff

• Recovering Rocket Plumber/Space Entrepreneur
  • Lafayette/Broomfield, CO
  • Liked: 2195
  • Likes Given: 759
« Reply #27 on: 04/24/2012 03:48 AM »
Consider the source, people.  I don't read HufPo but I look at Drudge now and again.  I always have my 10lb block of salt sitting next to me when I do.

A high percentage of what we read in the news is to aggravate either one side or another to get them out shaking the bushes for votes.

Who knows where we will be a year from now.

There's at least one HuffPo author that I read on a regular basis...but he's their token libertarian (Radley Balko) that they hired away from Reason.com.

~Jon

Offline yinzer

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #28 on: 04/24/2012 03:04 PM »
Romney has been incredibly vague about what he plans to do, probably so that everyone reads their hopes onto hin and he can answer their fears with "I never said I'd do that." Doesn't mean much.

Recent experience suggests that his highest priority will be cutting taxes for rich people, followed by spending money on the military, with everything else a distant third. This may be good news for NASA in that a lot of the contractors involved also work in the defense world, but it's hard to say exactly.
California 2008 - taking rights from people and giving rights to chickens.

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 356
  • Likes Given: 460
« Reply #29 on: 04/25/2012 05:20 AM »
Recent experience suggests that his highest priority will be cutting taxes for rich people, followed by spending money on the military, with everything else a distant third. This may be good news for NASA in that a lot of the contractors involved also work in the defense world, but it's hard to say exactly.

You will recall that Reagan increased the DoD budget significantly, but did little for NASA's budget. The two are not linked.

Offline MATTBLAK

• Elite Veteran & 'J.A.F.A'
  • 'Space Cadets' Let us; UNITE!! (crickets chirping)
  • New Zealand
  • Liked: 1058
  • Likes Given: 1990
« Reply #30 on: 04/25/2012 11:36 AM »

You will recall that Reagan increased the DoD budget significantly, but did little for NASA's budget. The two are not linked.

I've got a wonderful cartoon about that somewhere - I'll see if I can find it and put it up later.
"Those who can't, Blog".   'Space Cadets' of the World - Let us UNITE!! (crickets chirping)

Tags: