Author Topic: What if CCDev is zeroed out?  (Read 22164 times)

Online Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 8197
  • Likes Given: 5430
Re: What if CCDev is zeroed out?
« Reply #80 on: 04/07/2012 06:06 AM »
Don't forget that SpaceX's CRS contract is $1.6b / 12 = $133m per flight.

But let's be realistic.  Look at this company, at how many employees it has and how much they must be paid.  This company has to have burned through the better part of three-quarters of a billion dollars during the past three years, with only two launches to show for it.  NASA may be paying SpaceX $1.6 billion for 12 flights, but I don't see how that will cover the bills.

- Ed Kyle
If they don't get any of the many other launches on their manifest, then I agree. But is that a reasonable assumption?
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline MP99

« Reply #81 on: 04/07/2012 01:30 PM »
Don't forget that SpaceX's CRS contract is $1.6b / 12 = $133m per flight.

If they were negotiating that contract today it may be higher...

But let's be realistic.  Look at this company, at how many employees it has and how much they must be paid.  This company has to have burned through the better part of three-quarters of a billion dollars during the past three years, with only two launches to show for it.  NASA may be paying SpaceX $1.6 billion for 12 flights, but I don't see how that will cover the bills.

Agreed. I've also edited your quote to include the beginning of the following sentence, which made exactly the same point.  ;)

Still don't see how the price would be comparable to the "$7.7b for two launches" example that you mentioned.  ;)

cheers, Martin

Offline MP99

« Reply #82 on: 04/07/2012 01:54 PM »
Quote from: OpsAnalyst

All that is my over-long way of saying "I can't tell yet how I think this is going to go."
;) 

Heavens, I do go on.  Chris if this is OT, just whack it.  Thanks.

Not likely, Chris likes to keep the signal above the noise. Many thanks.

cheers, Martin

PS that's not a dig at anyone.

Online Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 8197
  • Likes Given: 5430
« Reply #83 on: 04/07/2012 09:03 PM »
Quote from: OpsAnalyst

All that is my over-long way of saying "I can't tell yet how I think this is going to go."
;) 

Heavens, I do go on.  Chris if this is OT, just whack it.  Thanks.

Not likely, Chris likes to keep the signal above the noise. Many thanks.

cheers, Martin

PS that's not a dig at anyone.
Yes, I for one appreciate Mary's comments in general. Definitely on the "signal" side.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Tags: