Author Topic: New, more stable space race  (Read 2509 times)

Offline DarkenedOne

• Liked: 56
  • Likes Given: 8
New, more stable space race
« on: 03/22/2012 09:01 PM »
You know if you think about it most of the space technology we use right now came from the Cold war era.  It was Spudnik that cause us to invest heavily in spaceflight in the first place.  It was during the cold war era when GPS, satellite imagery, and satellite communications were developed.   Manned spaceflight built the Saturn V, went to the moon, built the Shuttle, and built the first space stations.  NASA's budget peaked as a percentage of the Federal government in 1966 at 4.41%.

Since then I feel that our space advancement has stagnated.  We have done a great deal of improvements on existing technology, but we have done fairly little ground breaking work.  I believe this is due to the fact that in the post Soviet era we lack the justification for the large amounts of investment needed to such technologies.

Now things are definitely changing.  Both China and India are rising as major space powers.  Russia is getting back in the game with increased space spending.  In addition possible adversaries like Iran and North Korea are showing that they want in on the action too. 

What do you think?  What effect are these new developments going to have on the US and spaceflight in general?

Offline HappyMartian

• Tap the Moon's water!
  • Asia
  • Liked: 15
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: New, more stable space race
« Reply #1 on: 05/06/2012 01:53 PM »
The Asian space race arrives
At: http://bostonglobe.com/ideas/2012/05/05/the-asian-space-race-arrives-the-next-space-race/q9NdpbykR9ohRFktjnQ3XI/story.html
By James Clay Moltz, who "is a professor at the Naval Postgraduate School. He is the author of 'Asia’s Space Race' (2012) and 'The Politics of Space Security' (2011)."

"Asian countries are suddenly jostling to launch satellites, train astronauts, and put military hardware into orbit. What are the risks up there when no one’s cooperating?"

And, "The best hope for the United States and Europe—and for the citizens of Asia as well—is that Beijing, New Delhi, Seoul, Tokyo, and Asia’s political leaders will begin to discuss their common interests in space. Only in this way will we begin to develop 21st-century 'rules of the road' to prevent the rising mistrust and conflict in orbit from ruining space for future generations."

:)
"The Moon is the most accessible destination for realizing commercial, exploration and scientific objectives beyond low Earth orbit." - LEAG

Offline MP99

« Reply #2 on: 05/06/2012 03:28 PM »
It was Spudnik

That famous potato-based satellite.  ;)

cheers, Martin

Offline DMeader

• Liked: 99
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #3 on: 05/06/2012 10:07 PM »
Since then I feel that our space advancement has stagnated.  We have done a great deal of improvements on existing technology, but we have done fairly little ground breaking work. 

Yeah brother!
I want my warp drive and transporter!  You space guys get on the stick!  ;)
« Last Edit: 05/06/2012 10:08 PM by DMeader »

Offline Gene DiGennaro

• Armchair Astronaut
  • Baltimore, Md
    • Glenn L. Martin Maryland Aviation Museum
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #4 on: 05/07/2012 02:15 PM »
Spudnik was a song by the surf instrumental group "The Ventures". It's also called "Surf Rider".  Incidentally the Ventures did a remake of The Tornadoes (UK) hit single "Telstar".  Your useless bits of trivial information for the day!  :)

Offline JohnFornaro

• Not an expert
  • Delta-t is the salient metric.
  • Planet Eaarth
    • Design / Program Associates
  • Liked: 613
  • Likes Given: 318
« Reply #5 on: 05/12/2012 01:56 PM »
Do  recall correctly that Weird Al Yankovitch wrote a song called "The Tennessee Spud"?
Sometimes I just flat out don't get it.

Offline Warren Platts

« Reply #6 on: 05/13/2012 01:02 PM »
This is probably somewhat relevant: China now has the world's largest economy in terms of purchasing power parity (PPP). If there is a new space race, we can no longer hope that we can merely outspend them.

http://nextbigfuture.com/2011/03/new-purchasing-power-gdp-analysis-china.html
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."--Leonardo Da Vinci

Tags: