Author Topic: Mitt Romney Space Policy  (Read 45739 times)

Offline Avariel

• Hastings, UK
    • G7JVN Amateur Radio and AIS Receiving Station in Hastings
  • Liked: 10
  • Likes Given: 99
Re: Mitt Romney Space Policy
« Reply #20 on: 01/27/2012 09:25 PM »
Not much there really, very low on substance. More of an excuse to Obama bash than lay down a coherent space policy.

He lays out several general areas that he would like the space program to focus on, but no specific mission goals. Seams to be keen on the defense aspect of space.

Main focus is on taking people from NASA, the defense department and commercial space, bringing them together to develop a space program.

Strangely this feels a lot like the Obama space plan, lets put stuff together and come up with mission goals later.

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 2559
  • Likes Given: 6311
« Reply #21 on: 01/27/2012 09:28 PM »
How convenient for Mitt... and while he is in Florida as well... Sorry, I don't buy it. Newt comes by his support and vision for spaceflight in an honest fashion. Romney is just paying lip service and pandering for votes.
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob, Physics instructor, aviator, vintage auto racer

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 7622
  • Likes Given: 5085
« Reply #22 on: 01/27/2012 09:37 PM »
How convenient for Mitt... and while he is in Florida as well... Sorry, I don't buy it. Newt comes by his support and vision for spaceflight in an honest fashion. Romney is just paying lip service and pandering for votes.
Ironic, isn't it? Mitt accused Newt of selling pork to buy Florida votes while it is Mitt who stands for more of the same from NASA.

It's ironic how in the eyes of some, it doesn't matter if NASA gets many billions of dollars per year just so long they aren't efficient enough with that budget to be able to do something grandiose and exciting with it.
« Last Edit: 01/27/2012 09:39 PM by Robotbeat »
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline rdale

• Assistant to the Chief Meteorologist
  • Lansing MI
  • Liked: 239
  • Likes Given: 25
« Reply #23 on: 01/27/2012 09:41 PM »
Newt comes by his support and vision for spaceflight in an honest fashion. Romney is just paying lip service and pandering for votes.

Uhh, had Mr Gingrich ever laid this out in any other area than Florida, you might have a point. He didn't, so your conclusion is completely off.

When politicians travel to a state, they pander to the voters. Farm subsidies in Iowa. Mining in WV. Oil in Texas.

Space in Florida.

It means nothing.

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
« Reply #24 on: 01/27/2012 09:46 PM »
Newt comes by his support and vision for spaceflight in an honest fashion. Romney is just paying lip service and pandering for votes.

Uhh, had Mr Gingrich ever laid this out in any other area than Florida, you might have a point. He didn't, so your conclusion is completely off.

When politicians travel to a state, they pander to the voters. Farm subsidies in Iowa. Mining in WV. Oil in Texas.

Space in Florida.

It means nothing.
Except that he has been pretty consistent in this sort of plan for a long time. He has strongly supported even colonizing the Moon, strongly supported a strong emphasis on prizes, and strongly supported space in general in the past. He is a space nut. If he were just pandering for votes, he would come out VOCALLY to support SLS, perhaps even resurrecting Ares I. Instead, he proposes relying strongly on "commercial," which isn't incredibly popular with a lot of the space coast crowd in Florida. It's Mitt who is pandering by supporting the status quo when he really barely even cares about space.

The claim that Newt is merely pandering doesn't stand up to even a cursory examination of the issue.
« Last Edit: 01/27/2012 09:48 PM by Robotbeat »
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline rcoppola

• USA
  • Liked: 1260
  • Likes Given: 533
« Reply #25 on: 01/27/2012 10:14 PM »

Space in Florida.

It means nothing.
Except that he has been pretty consistent in this sort of plan for a long time. He has strongly supported even colonizing the Moon, strongly supported a strong emphasis on prizes, and strongly supported space in general in the past. He is a space nut. If he were just pandering for votes, he would come out VOCALLY to support SLS, perhaps even resurrecting Ares I. Instead, he proposes relying strongly on "commercial," which isn't incredibly popular with a lot of the space coast crowd in Florida. It's Mitt who is pandering by supporting the status quo when he really barely even cares about space.

The claim that Newt is merely pandering doesn't stand up to even a cursory examination of the issue.
I'll grant you Newt is genuinely passionate about this. However, our nation is headed over a cliff shortly. Debt to GDP is %100. Our Growth in 2011 was an anemic %1.7. Our corporate tax is one of the highest and least competitive. Unfunded pensions, Medicare/Medicaid, Social Security etc, etc...

I love NASA and all it and commercial space stand for. But I think it's time we hire someone who actually knows how to succeed at running a complex corporate structure. We tried feel good Hope and Change. Now let's try for some real world experience. Once we get someone in the executive branch who knows how to manage and lead to get this economy growing again, I think in the long run, we will see great returns for our passions and dreams for HSF once the US is full throttle again...

Frankly, I think MItt could be the best thing that ever happened to commercial space in the short term and NASA being properly funded in the long term...

Newt, unfortunately will crash and burn in short order. I'd say by April, he's done. Not judging, we've all seen this movie before and it doesn't end well.
Sail the oceans of space and set foot upon new lands!
http://www.stormsurgemedia.com

Offline Warren Platts

« Reply #26 on: 01/27/2012 10:18 PM »
Policy? What policy?  ::)
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."--Leonardo Da Vinci

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
« Reply #27 on: 01/27/2012 10:20 PM »
I love NASA and all it and commercial space stand for. But I think it's time we hire someone who actually knows how to succeed at running a complex corporate structure. ...
Wait, I thought we didn't believe in central planning? A corporation is not a country (or a person).

Mitt Romney would mean repeating all the same mistakes for NASA. He is providing no leadership at all in this area. jongoff had a good tweet: "I mean, why waste money on a moon base, when you can waste the same amount of money and not even get the moon base?"

Offline Rocket Science

« Reply #28 on: 01/27/2012 10:22 PM »

Space in Florida.

It means nothing.

I'll grant you Newt is genuinely passionate about this. However, our nation is headed over a cliff shortly. Debt to GDP is %100. Our Growth in 2011 was an anemic %1.7. Our corporate tax is one of the highest and least competitive. Unfunded pensions, Medicare/Medicaid, Social Security etc, etc...

I love NASA and all it and commercial space stand for. But I think it's time we hire someone who actually knows how to succeed at running a complex corporate structure. We tried feel good Hope and Change. Now let's try for some real world experience. Once we get someone in the executive branch who knows how to manage and lead to get this economy growing again, I think in the long run, we will see great returns for our passions and dreams for HSF once the US is full throttle again...

Frankly, I think MItt could be the best thing that ever happened to commercial space in the short term and NASA being properly funded in the long term...

Newt, unfortunately will crash and burn in short order. I'd say by April, he's done. Not judging, we've all seen this movie before and it doesn't end well.
You could very well be correct, but isn't it great to see space get some air time :)

Offline Rocket Science

« Reply #29 on: 01/27/2012 10:25 PM »

Space in Florida.

It means nothing.
[/quote
You obviously don't know Newt's long held position on space...

Offline rdale

• Assistant to the Chief Meteorologist
  • Lansing MI
  • Liked: 239
  • Likes Given: 25
« Reply #30 on: 01/27/2012 10:26 PM »
When he leads a speech OUTSIDE of Florida with it - I'll believe how intense that position is. I realize American politics doesn't make sense to non-Americans, but there is a method to the madness :)

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
« Reply #31 on: 01/27/2012 10:35 PM »
Mitt Romney's space policy combines the worst parts of Obamaspace and Constellation with none of the good parts. It's obvious he cares nothing about space. Heck, in the debate last night, he seemed to do a good job of being DEinspirational when it comes to space.

He's the worst of all worlds as far as space policy goes, IMHO.

Offline rcoppola

• USA
  • Liked: 1260
  • Likes Given: 533
« Reply #32 on: 01/27/2012 10:47 PM »
I love NASA and all it and commercial space stand for. But I think it's time we hire someone who actually knows how to succeed at running a complex corporate structure. ...
Wait, I thought we didn't believe in central planning? A corporation is not a country (or a person).

Mitt Romney would mean repeating all the same mistakes for NASA. He is providing no leadership at all in this area. jongoff had a good tweet: "I mean, why waste money on a moon base, when you can waste the same amount of money and not even get the moon base?"
Who said anything about central planning? And if you don't think a country needs to be run on many principles that a private company runs on, then take a look at what happens when they don't. Greece, Italy, France..etc.. I am simply suggesting that if we don't implement some much needed economic sanity, no matter who has a great policy, it won't be funded.
Sail the oceans of space and set foot upon new lands!
http://www.stormsurgemedia.com

Offline dbhyslop

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #33 on: 01/27/2012 11:22 PM »
He's the worst of all worlds as far as all policy goes, IMHO.

Fixed that for you, Chris :)

Offline QuantumG

• Australia
  • Liked: 3308
  • Likes Given: 774
« Reply #35 on: 01/28/2012 12:35 AM »
Jeff Bezos has billions to spend on rockets and can go at whatever pace he likes! Wow! What pace is he going at? Well... have you heard of Zeno's paradox?

Offline mr_magoo

• Liked: 16
  • Likes Given: 21
« Reply #36 on: 01/28/2012 02:40 AM »
Scott Pace in the driver's seat, with Mike Griffin navigating.

http://mittromney.com/news/press/2012/01/leaders-americas-space-program-write-open-letter-support-mitt-romney

As president, Mitt Romney will facilitate close collaboration not only within the government’s civil and national security space sectors, but also with the private sector and with research institutions. He will create conditions for a strong and competitive commercial space industry that can contribute greatly to our national capabilities and goals. And he will ensure that NASA returns its focus to the project of manned space exploration that uniquely affirms American strength and values around the globe. Under his leadership, America will once again lead the world in space.

That's quite a... well...  what did they say?  He'll do something..and..er..

Offline neilh

• Pasadena, CA
  • Liked: 43
  • Likes Given: 148
« Reply #37 on: 01/28/2012 02:49 AM »

http://mittromney.com/news/press/2012/01/leaders-americas-space-program-write-open-letter-support-mitt-romney

As president, Mitt Romney will facilitate close collaboration not only within the government’s civil and national security space sectors, but also with the private sector and with research institutions. He will create conditions for a strong and competitive commercial space industry that can contribute greatly to our national capabilities and goals. And he will ensure that NASA returns its focus to the project of manned space exploration that uniquely affirms American strength and values around the globe. Under his leadership, America will once again lead the world in space.

That's quite a... well...  what did they say?  He'll do something..and..er..

Facilitate synergistic paradigms, mission-critical capabilities, and core competencies!
Someone is wrong on the Internet.
http://xkcd.com/386/

Offline QuantumG

• Australia
  • Liked: 3308
  • Likes Given: 774
« Reply #38 on: 01/28/2012 02:55 AM »
Top. Men.
Jeff Bezos has billions to spend on rockets and can go at whatever pace he likes! Wow! What pace is he going at? Well... have you heard of Zeno's paradox?

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 354
  • Likes Given: 460
« Reply #39 on: 01/28/2012 03:34 PM »

A truly alarming development, unless you support pouring tax dollars into ratholes.

:o :o
« Last Edit: 01/28/2012 03:35 PM by Danderman »

Tags: