Poll

Roger Shawyer (SPR), the Chinese (NWPU) and NASA EW have all measured thrust with EM Drive test devices and have theories of why the thrust is generated. Please indicate your belief as below

1) There is no propellantless thrust. Either the measurements are in error or there is some form of propellant creating the thrust.
2) There is propellantless thrust but the current theories provided by the experimenters can not be correct.
3) There is propellantless thrust. I have my own theory to explain the thrust.
4) There is propellantless thrust and the current theories provided by the experimenters explains why it exists. No new physics is necessary.
5) I have no opinion but will watch developments.
6) The measured propellantless thrust may be real. Theory options 2, 3 & 4 may or may not be correct.

Author Topic: EM Drive opinion poll  (Read 26626 times)

Offline TheTraveller

EM Drive opinion poll
« on: 05/23/2015 06:37 pm »
Please indicate your opinion of the EM Drive and the supporting theories.
« Last Edit: 05/23/2015 09:12 pm by Chris Bergin »
It Is Time For The EmDrive To Come Out Of The Shadows

Offline NovaSilisko

• Liked: 1440
  • Likes Given: 1301
Re: EM Drive opinion poll
« Reply #1 on: 05/23/2015 06:39 pm »
I'm reserving judgement until it's given a very robust test, and is either shown unequivocally to be a result of new physics, or an experimental error. Until then... 

Offline TheTraveller

« Reply #2 on: 05/23/2015 06:47 pm »
I'm reserving judgement until it's given a very robust test, and is either shown unequivocally to be a result of new physics, or an experimental error. Until then... 

Another option is unconventional applications of existing theories, that work inside existing physics. Both Shawyer and the Chinese claim this is the case.
« Last Edit: 05/23/2015 06:53 pm by TheTraveller »
It Is Time For The EmDrive To Come Out Of The Shadows

Offline kch

• Liked: 496
  • Likes Given: 8807
« Reply #3 on: 05/23/2015 07:05 pm »
Watching with great interest.  :)

Offline nadreck

« Reply #4 on: 05/23/2015 08:02 pm »
I need an option that says: "There may be propellantless thrust, and, while I am not convinced either way that does not mean I don't have opinions, theories, and test ideas."
It is all well and good to quote those things that made it past your confirmation bias that other people wrote, but this is a discussion board damnit! Let us know what you think! And why!

Offline Robert Thompson

• Liked: 101
  • Likes Given: 658
« Reply #5 on: 05/23/2015 10:42 pm »
They're all missing something systematic, and they do not have draconian hermetic isolation from the entire environment.

Offline smartcat

• Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 45
« Reply #6 on: 05/23/2015 11:08 pm »
I am expecting The Traveller will clear the air as far as evidence is concerned  :)

Offline Tellmeagain

• maryland
  • Liked: 153
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #7 on: 05/24/2015 02:22 am »
I chose "There is no propellantless thrust."
First, NASA experiment falsified the English experiment and the Chinese experiment.
Second, NASA experiment itself has problems.
The obvious trend is, the more elaborated and precise the experiment is, the smaller the force is.
If somebody else does the experiment better than NASA, he will see even smaller force.
This trend can be easily explained, if we realize that it is all about experiment artifacts.

Offline deltaMass

• A Brit in California
  • Liked: 671
  • Likes Given: 275
« Reply #8 on: 05/24/2015 02:45 am »
That is known as Langmuir's Dictum

Offline Bob Shaw

• Liked: 727
  • Likes Given: 676
« Reply #9 on: 05/24/2015 03:11 am »
I really wish NSP would stop promoting this stuff!

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3974
  • Likes Given: 220
EM Drive opinion poll
« Reply #10 on: 05/24/2015 08:55 am »
I really wish NSP would stop promoting this stuff!

It can promote whatever it likes no one is forcing anyone to discuss anything that they don't want to. This forum is plenty big enough for all shades of opinion and topic within reason. Nor is it promoting it, it is just reporting some investigations, big difference between those two.
« Last Edit: 05/24/2015 09:44 am by Star One »

Offline deltaMass

• A Brit in California
« Reply #11 on: 05/24/2015 07:32 pm »
What is perhaps worthy of note is that some of the most voluble forum members are those who take the minority view here.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #12 on: 05/25/2015 02:12 pm »
What is perhaps worthy of note is that some of the most voluble forum members are those who take the minority view here.

Absolutely true of any online community, be it a sports team forum or one for brain surgeons.

PS I changed this to one vote per member not long after this was started (as it didn't make sense to have the option for all to vote for all options (pick one and go with it)), but forgot to post that I did that ;D

PPS I went with option 5.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Bubbinski

« Reply #13 on: 05/25/2015 04:00 pm »
I'm afraid I don't know enough to vote for any other option than 5 - "wait and see", as my physics knowledge is caveman-level at best.

Hoping to see additional tests soon that will answer the question of whether this is possible once and for all.
I'll even excitedly look forward to "flags and footprints" and suborbital missions. Just fly...somewhere.

Offline Roy_H

• Political Solutions
  • Liked: 450
  • Likes Given: 3163
« Reply #14 on: 05/25/2015 04:35 pm »
I have trouble with the propellantless thrust. Light provides force, the light sail concept is well accepted and proven. Is light a propellant? Is not the EM drive supposed to be similar to light drive? Maybe I have it all wrong but I did not think the EM drive was propellantless.

However, I do have an opinion. The EM drive is just an error in the measurment equipment. Didn't they say that the equipment reported the same thrust when the drive was turned off? If true, then this is not proof of concept. The option list does not provide the option that this does not constitute proof, and I dislike absolutes like "there is no propellantless thrust" because I don't know the answer to that, and I don't think anyone can say with certainty as new discoveries come along all the time.
"If we don't achieve re-usability, I will consider SpaceX to be a failure." - Elon Musk
Spacestation proposal: https://politicalsolutions.ca/forum/index.php?topic=3.0

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3974
  • Likes Given: 220
EM Drive opinion poll
« Reply #15 on: 05/25/2015 04:48 pm »
I have trouble with the propellantless thrust. Light provides force, the light sail concept is well accepted and proven. Is light a propellant? Is not the EM drive supposed to be similar to light drive? Maybe I have it all wrong but I did not think the EM drive was propellantless.

However, I do have an opinion. The EM drive is just an error in the measurment equipment. Didn't they say that the equipment reported the same thrust when the drive was turned off? If true, then this is not proof of concept. The option list does not provide the option that this does not constitute proof, and I dislike absolutes like "there is no propellantless thrust" because I don't know the answer to that, and I don't think anyone can say with certainty as new discoveries come along all the time.

Best to familiarise yourself with the various resources linked to in the OP of the main thread as you will find a lot of the answers you seek there.:)
« Last Edit: 05/25/2015 04:51 pm by Star One »

Offline deltaMass

• A Brit in California
« Reply #16 on: 05/27/2015 05:20 pm »
About 30% of us think there's thrust, after 99 votes

Offline nadreck

« Reply #17 on: 05/27/2015 05:26 pm »
About 30% of us think there's thrust, after 99 votes

I think there is thrust, but I don't "know" it or enough about how it is caused to answer anything but the last option.

I would observe the results as 29% are sure that there is no thrust.
It is all well and good to quote those things that made it past your confirmation bias that other people wrote, but this is a discussion board damnit! Let us know what you think! And why!

Offline deltaMass

• A Brit in California
« Reply #18 on: 05/27/2015 07:21 pm »
If you think there is thrust then you have an opinion, and should not be selecting "no opinion"

Offline nadreck

« Reply #19 on: 05/27/2015 07:36 pm »
If you think there is thrust then you have an opinion, and should not be selecting "no opinion"

As I mentioned up thread there was no choice for people had opinions but no gnosis.

I am not prepared to state unequivocally that there is or isn't propellantless thrust, however I do think that, given everything that has been written thrust was detected that can't be explained by experimental error. I have opinions as to why that might be, but they are just conjecture and do not have a solid basis that I can point to.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography