Author Topic: Pad 39B in the final stages in preparation to welcome SLS Mobile Launcher  (Read 5581 times)

Offline Chris Bergin

Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8785
  • Likes Given: 7815
Video of refilling operations for the liquid oxygen and liquid hydrogen cryogenic spheres at 39B (beginning of the following video)

Inside KSC! for Sept. 29, 2017

NASAKennedy
Published on Sep 29, 2017

The first major integrated operation at Launch Pad 39B began this week with the initial tanking of a cryogenic fuel, liquid oxygen, into a giant sphere at the northwest corner of the pad. Construction of new facilities and demolition of outdated facilities also continued as Kennedy Space Center completes the transition to a multi-user spaceport.

Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline catdlr

Kennedy Space Center Water Flow Test at Launch Complex 39-B For SLS

Matthew Travis
Published on Dec 20, 2017

Water flowed during a test at Launch Complex 39B at NASA’s Kennedy Space Center in Florida. About 450,000 gallons of water flowed at high speed from a holding tank through new and modified piping and valves, the flame trench, flame deflector nozzles and mobile launcher interface risers during a wet flow test at Launch Complex 39B. At peak flow, the water reached about 100 feet in the air above the pad surface. The test was a milestone to confirm and baseline the performance of the Ignition Overpressure/Sound Suppression system. During launch of NASA's Space Launch System rocket and Orion spacecraft, the high-speed water flow will help protect the vehicle from the extreme acoustic and temperature environment during ignition and liftoff.

Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Online jacqmans

• Global Moderator
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 8560
  • Likes Given: 320
About 450,000 gallons of water flowed at high speed from a holding tank through new and modified piping and valves, the flame trench, flame deflector nozzles and mobile launcher interface risers during a wet flow test at Launch Pad 39B at NASA's Kennedy Space Center in Florida. At peak flow, the water reached about 100 feet in the air above the pad surface. The test was a milestone to confirm and baseline the performance of the Ignition Overpressure/Sound Suppression system. During launch of NASA's Space Launch System rocket and Orion spacecraft, the high-speed water flow will help protect the vehicle from the extreme acoustic and temperature environment during ignition and liftoff. Photo credit: NASA/Kim Shiflett
Jacques :-)

Offline catdlr

Water Deluge test featured in this update video:

Preparing America for Deep Space Episode 18 On The Move

NASA Johnson
Published on Aug 31, 2018

Big progress continues to be made in 2018 for NASA’s Orion, Space Launch System (SLS), and Exploration Ground Systems (EGS) programs. Teams across America and in Europe are developing and building the spacecraft, rocket, and infrastructure necessary to send humans to deep space destinations including the Moon and beyond. Some major milestones include: Orion – Orion tank integration, Engine Gimbal System Test, and Solar Wing Test in Bremen, Germany, Structural Test Article Testing in Littleton, CO, and Exploration Mission-3 Machining in Fountain Valley, CA and Brea, CA. SLS – Application of thermal protection to Launch Vehicle Stage Adapter, Intertank Structural test article lifted to test stand at Marshall Space Flight Center (MSFC), Orion stage adapter loaded onto Super Guppy at MSFC and shipped to Kennedy Space Center (KSC). LOX Flight Hardware move to Area 6 at Michoud Assembly Facility and LH2 Structural Test Article move for thermal protection system processing at MAF. EGS – Flame Deflector Installation at Pad 39B (KSC), Crawler-Transporter 2 move to Pad 39B, Crawler lifts the Mobile Launcher, Water Deluge Test at Pad 39B.
For HD copy: https://archive.org/details/ jsc2018m000717_PreparingAmericaforDeepSpaceEpisode18_On The Move_MXF.mxf

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography