Author Topic: NASA - MAVEN - updates  (Read 59063 times)

Online catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8806
  • Likes Given: 7821
Re: NASA - MAVEN - updates
« Reply #20 on: 05/01/2013 09:36 pm »

May 01, 2013

RELEASE : 13-125

NASA Invites Public to Send Names And Messages to Mars

WASHINGTON --  NASA is inviting members of the public to submit their names and a personal message online for a DVD to be carried aboard a spacecraft that will study the Martian upper atmosphere.

The DVD will be in NASA's Mars Atmosphere and Volatile Evolution (MAVEN) spacecraft, which is scheduled for launch in November. The DVD is part of the mission's Going to Mars Campaign coordinated at the University of Colorado at Boulder's Laboratory for Atmospheric and Space Physics (CU/LASP).

The DVD will carry every name submitted. The public also is encouraged to submit a message in the form of a three-line poem, or haiku. However, only three haikus will be selected. The deadline for all submissions is July 1. An online public vote to determine the top three messages to be placed on the DVD will begin July 15.

"The Going to Mars campaign offers people worldwide a way to make a personal connection to space, space exploration, and science in general, and share in our excitement about the MAVEN mission," said Stephanie Renfrow, lead for the MAVEN Education and Public Outreach program at CU/LASP.

Participants who submit their names to the Going to Mars campaign will be able to print a certificate of appreciation to document their involvement with the MAVEN mission.

"This new campaign is a great opportunity to reach the next generation of explorers and excite them about science, technology, engineering and math," said Bruce Jakosky, MAVEN principal investigator from CU/LASP. "I look forward to sharing our science with the worldwide community as MAVEN begins to piece together what happened to the Red Planet's atmosphere."

MAVEN is the first spacecraft devoted to exploring and understanding the Martian upper atmosphere. The spacecraft will investigate how the loss of Mars' atmosphere to space determined the history of water on the surface.

"This mission will continue NASA's rich history of inspiring and engaging the public in spaceflight in ongoing Mars exploration," said David Mitchell, MAVEN project manager at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Md.

MAVEN's principal investigator is based at the University of Colorado at Boulder's Laboratory for Atmospheric and Space Physics. The university will provide science operations, science instruments and lead Education and Public Outreach. Goddard manages the project and provides two of the science instruments for the mission. Lockheed Martin of Littleton, Colo., built the spacecraft and is responsible for mission operations. The University of California at Berkeley Space Sciences Laboratory provides science instruments for the mission. NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, Calif., provides navigation support, the Deep Space Network and the Electra telecommunications relay hardware and operations.

To participate in the Going to Mars campaign, visit

http://lasp.colorado.edu/maven/goingtomars

For more information on MAVEN, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/maven

- end -
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline TheFallen

• Liked: 77
  • Likes Given: 159
« Reply #21 on: 05/08/2013 01:44 am »
Already submitted my name...plus two additional (three's the limit)

Online catdlr

« Reply #22 on: 09/11/2013 06:05 pm »
MAVEN ATLO time-lapse

Published on Sep 11, 2013
The MAVEN spacecraft is shown in this time-lapse video during its Assembly, Test, and Launch Operations (ATLO) phase. MAVEN began ATLO procedures on Sept. 11, 2012 and was shipped to Kennedy Space Center's Payload Hazardous Servicing Facility on Aug. 2, 2013 to begin preparations for its scheduled launch on Nov. 18, 2013.

Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline TheFallen

• Liked: 77
  • Likes Given: 159
« Reply #23 on: 10/03/2013 10:13 pm »
Launch processing for MAVEN will continue despite the government shutdown:

http://lasp.colorado.edu/home/maven/2013/10/03/maven-reactivation-status-update/

Offline psloss

• Veteran armchair spectator
  • Liked: 4047
  • Likes Given: 2089
« Reply #24 on: 10/03/2013 10:49 pm »
Launch processing for MAVEN will continue despite the government shutdown:

http://lasp.colorado.edu/home/maven/2013/10/03/maven-reactivation-status-update/
Thanks, good news.

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 8562
  • Likes Given: 320
« Reply #25 on: 10/29/2013 08:24 am »
Topic locked until after launch, for pre launch updates see:

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=31872.0
Jacques :-)

Offline Targeteer

• near hangar 18
  • Liked: 3364
  • Likes Given: 1138
« Reply #26 on: 12/05/2013 07:55 pm »
From Facebook--I also saw that the first trajectory correction burn occurred successfully.

Mars Atmosphere and Volatile EvolutioN Mission
MAVEN IUVS checkout successfully completed

Mission operators have successfully completed initial on-orbit power on and checkout of the MAVEN Imaging Ultraviolet Spectrograph (IUVS) and Remote Sensing Package.

All instrument sub-systems have been tested and are performing as expected. As part of this check out, the IUVS has taken two sets of images at various high voltage settings to get a baseline of on-orbit performance at the current instrument temperatures. IUVS took initial measurements of interplanetary hydrogen.

Plans are in place to turn on the IUVS again next week to look at what is left of Comet C/2012 S1 - ISON and then again a few more times during cruise before we get to Mars in September, 2014.

The MAVEN IUVS will measure global characteristics of the Martian upper atmosphere and ionosphere via remote sensing.

In this image, Laboratory for Atmospheric and Space Physics (LASP) mechanical engineers pose with the MAVEN Remote Sensing Package shortly before it was delivered to Lockheed Martin in Littleton, Colorado for integration onto the spacecraft.

To learn more about the IUVS and how it will collect data at Mars, please visit: http://bit.ly/11UnSGX

(Image credit: LASP/Aref Nammari)
Best quote heard during an inspection, "I was unaware that I was the only one who was aware."

Offline Targeteer

• near hangar 18
« Reply #27 on: 01/10/2014 04:21 am »
From Facebook

MAVEN Status Update: Jan. 9, 2014

As of January 9, 2014, MAVEN is at a distance of 14,386,805 km (8,939,546 miles) from Earth and the spacecraft continues to operate nominally in early cruise phase. MAVEN currently has an Earth-centered velocity of 2.43 km/s (1.53 miles/s or 5,508 mph) and a Sun-centered velocity of 32.58 km/s (20.27 miles/s or 72,972 mph).

MAVEN has already traveled 145,978,745 km (90,706,813 miles) on its heliocentric transfer path to Mars. We are currently at a distance of 178,442,517 km (110,879,039 miles) from Mars and one-way light-time to the spacecraft is 48 seconds. MAVEN will travel a total of 712,188,796 km (442,532,752 miles) and approximately 229 degrees around the Sun during its 10-month journey.

MAVEN remains on schedule for Mars Orbit Insertion on September 22, 2014.

View this update and more on the MAVEN web site at the Laboratory for Atmospheric and Space Physics, here:
http://bit.ly/1hAbogI
Best quote heard during an inspection, "I was unaware that I was the only one who was aware."

Offline Targeteer

• near hangar 18
« Reply #28 on: 01/25/2014 02:35 am »
From Facebook

MAVEN Status Update: January 24, 2014

The MAVEN Particles & Fields Package (PFP) team has successfully completed instrument initial post-launch power on and checkout. The PFP consists of six separate and distinct instruments, all operated through a single data processing unit. This flight hardware was built by providers at UC Berkeley, the University of Colorado Boulder, NASA Goddard, and the Research Institute in Astrophysics and Planetology (IRAP) in Toulouse, France. The entire package was integrated and delivered by the University of California at Berkeley. All instruments have been tested and are performing as expected.

The six instruments that comprise the PFP make detailed measurements of the properties of the Martian upper atmosphere, ionosphere, the input of solar energy into the upper atmosphere, the magnetic field, and ions that have enough energy to escape from the atmosphere to space. These measurements are central to understanding the loss of atmospheric gas to space that is occurring today and to determining what the history of loss through time has been.

As of January 22nd, 448 uplinks have been sent to the spacecraft since launch. MAVEN is 16.8 million kilometers (10.4 million miles) from Earth and 156.7 million kilometers (97.4 million miles) from Mars. Our second Trajectory Correction Maneuver (TCM-2) will occur on February 26th and will fine tune our approach path to Mars. The team also plans to activate the Electra telecommunications relay package in February.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #29 on: 02/04/2014 11:49 pm »
Instrumentation has enjoyed a successful initial checkout:

http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2014/02/maven-checked-out-enroute-to-mars/
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #30 on: 02/04/2014 11:50 pm »
137 million miles travelled. Instrumentation has enjoyed a successful initial checkout:

http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2014/02/maven-checked-out-enroute-to-mars/

Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Online Blackstar

• Veteran
  • Liked: 7827
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #31 on: 03/04/2014 03:39 am »

Online catdlr

« Reply #32 on: 03/05/2014 11:23 pm »
NASA | Studying the Solar Wind on Mars

Published on Mar 5, 2014
Robert Lin, the late director of the Space Sciences Laboratory, discusses how NASA's MAVEN spacecraft will study the interaction of the Martian atmosphere with the solar wind. MAVEN's findings will reveal how Mars lost its early atmosphere, turning it from a warm, wet planet into the cold, dry one that we see today.

Online catdlr

« Reply #33 on: 03/06/2014 07:53 pm »
MAVEN | Mars Atmospheric Loss: Sputtering

Published on Mar 6, 2014
When you take a look at Mars, you probably wouldn't think that it looks like a nice place to live. It's dry, it's dusty, and there's practically no atmosphere. But some scientists think that Mars may have once looked like a much nicer place to live, with a thicker atmosphere, cloudy skies, and possibly even liquid water flowing over the surface.

NASA's MAVEN spacecraft will give us a clearer idea of how Mars lost its atmosphere, and scientists think that several processes have had an impact.

One way a planet can lose its atmosphere is through a process called "sputtering." In this process, atoms are knocked away from the atmosphere due to impacts from energetic particles.

(Video credit: NASA/GSFC)

Offline clongton

• Expert
  • Connecticut
    • Direct Launcher
  • Liked: 7348
  • Likes Given: 3749
« Reply #34 on: 08/20/2014 03:54 pm »
MAVEN is scheduled to arrive next month I believe.
Are there any updates?
Chuck - DIRECT co-founder
I started my career on the Saturn-V F-1A engine

Offline dsmillman

• Liked: 342
  • Likes Given: 27
« Reply #35 on: 08/20/2014 04:36 pm »
You can check the twitter feed at:

https://twitter.com/Maven2mars

Offline Sesquipedalian

• Whee!
  • Liked: 302
  • Likes Given: 988
« Reply #36 on: 08/20/2014 08:17 pm »
There is some useful information here on the plans for MAVEN juggling orbit insertion, initial checkout, and Siding Spring observation ops.  Some excerpts:

Sep 22 02:00: (approx.) MAVEN orbit insertion. MAVEN observations of the comet will only occur if orbit insertion goes off without a hitch. Although they will not be in their science mission yet, MAVEN has already acquired experience in attempting comet observations: they tried to study ISON. They didn't succeed in detecting it, but it gave them valuable practice for the Siding Spring campaign.

MAVEN had been considering delaying their transition from initial orbit into science orbit because that would have allowed them to hide behind Mars longer. MAVEN has decided to stick with their initial plan.

More at the link, including info on how the other spacecraft at Mars will handle the encounter.

Offline Targeteer

• near hangar 18
« Reply #37 on: 08/28/2014 05:11 pm »
From Facebook

MAVEN Status Update: Thursday, August 28, 2014

At 8 pm EDT today, MAVEN will be at a distance of 197,671,189 km (122,827,182 miles) from Earth with an Earth-centered velocity of 27.0 km/s (16.8 mi/s or 60,448 mph) and a Sun-centered velocity of 22.2 km/s (13.8 mi/s or 49,709 mph). We are now just 24 days from Mars orbit insertion on September 21st.

Having traveled a total of 662,687,517 km (411,774,933 mi) in its heliocentric transfer orbit, the MAVEN spacecraft has now covered ~93% of its total journey from Earth to ‪#‎Mars‬.

The spacecraft is currently at a distance of 6,594,130 km (4,097,402 mi) from Mars, and 215,991,349 km (134,210,802 mi) from the Sun. One-way light time to the ‪#‎MAVEN‬ spacecraft from Earth is 10 minutes and 59 seconds.

All navigation solutions continue to produce trajectory arrival predictions that ensure a successful transition to MAVEN's required science orbit.

Offline Targeteer

• near hangar 18
« Reply #38 on: 09/04/2014 05:57 pm »
Mars Atmosphere and Volatile EvolutioN Mission
25 mins ·

MAVEN Status Update: Thursday, September 4, 2014

At 8 pm EDT today, MAVEN will be at a distance of 205,304,736 km (127,570,449 miles) from Earth with an Earth-centered velocity of 27.95 km/s (17.37 mi/s or 62,532 mph) and a Sun-centered velocity of 22.29 km/s (13.58 mi/s or 48,892 mph). We are now just 17 days from Mars orbit insertion on September 21st.

Having traveled a total of 678,070,879 km (421,332,902 mi) in its heliocentric transfer orbit, the MAVEN spacecraft has now covered ~95% of its total journey from Earth to ‪#‎Mars‬.

The spacecraft is currently at a distance of 4,705,429 km (2,923,818 mi) from Mars, and 215,446,454 km (133,872,220 mi) from the Sun. One-way light time to the ‪#‎MAVEN‬ spacecraft from Earth is 11 minutes and 24 seconds.

All navigation solutions continue to produce trajectory arrival predictions that ensure a successful transition to MAVEN's required science orbit.

Offline Galactic Penguin SST

« Reply #39 on: 09/08/2014 11:10 am »
A good feature introducing MAVEN's science instruments from Aviation Week: http://awin.aviationweek.com/portals/awin/Interactives/AWST/Maven/MAVEN_RM1.html
Astronomy & spaceflight geek penguin. In a relationship w/ Space Shuttle Discovery. Current Priority: Chasing the Chinese Spaceflight Wonder Egg & A Certain Chinese Mars Rover

Tags: Maven Mars 

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography