Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Next
Knowing what we know now following the successful launch, what would have been a more meaningful payload to put on Falcon Heavy's demo flight?
New Physics for Space Technology / Re: Woodward's effect
« Last post by WarpTech on Today at 04:39 AM »
I am getting some very large results ~100mN (10 grams) with my MEGA Drive. However, when I flip it over, the thrust direction does not change. I am measuring weight with a load cell, and the MEGA always gains weight when energized.

The Yellow trace is the output of my differential amplifier. The calibration pulses are included in the attached results. 

Note: 5g = 5 grams, 10g = 10 grams,  g is grams not acceleration.

I am curious about the exact mechanical design of your MEGA.  What parts are free to move.  What parts are bolted.  Relative masses.  Damping mechanisms.

Also curious about the load cell design.  It sits underneath I assume.  This can be done with the same material you are using to expand and contract your mega? (Pezio like material).

Is it that the device uses the weight of the table as an anchor and is accelerating the top mass?  Flipping it over still accelerates mainly the top mass?  Would changing the phase of the 2ndary signal by 180 degrees have any effect?  Do you use a 2ndary signal or use electrostriction.

The big copper mass is about .98kg, the whole thing assembled is about 1.7kg. There are 2 pairs driven at 21.3kHz and 2 pairs driven at 42.6kHz and 1 pair used as a displacement sensor. The displacement disks can be compressed by the other stacks. The aluminum end cap is unthreaded, the copper is threaded. There are spring washers under the head of the 4-40 SS screws.

Changing phase by 180 deg does change the results. It gets physically louder when the applied signals are in phase with resonance and electrostriction, and quieter when it is out of phase, but my O'scope results are mostly electrical noise. I think we should wait and see if I can resolve that issue before we trust any data I've gathered.

Holding the resulting oxygen?

I may have lost the plot on how ISS oxygen ties into FH vs SLS...
SpaceX General Section / Re: IR takeoff images?
« Last post by Flying Beaver on Today at 04:32 AM »
Iridium-1 webcast had a IR tracking shot of the F9 from T+45 to 2:11.

On the other hand, if Blue Origin is willing to put up with DoD certification requirements, that would make two rocket families with less in common than Atlas V and Delta IV (which both have, for example, RL10 variants on their respective upper stages).  Under those circumstances -- which have to be on the mind of anyone planning ULA's future -- the case for Vulcan might get harder to make once New Glenn got established.

Shocking idea, maybe ULA should get busy and beat Blue to the punch by flying Vulcan first????
The radio silence on the static fire combined with no video coverage of the pad by the usual sources is kind of unnerving. The window closes in a little less than 2 hours.   :-\

I guess we can just hope for a SpaceX tweet within the next hour if they fired at the end of the window. That's of course if their twitter is manned right now, seeing they could be off before getting on-shift for the launch in 15hrs.
(mod) There are some people who post some very wildly improbable stuff. Sometimes, but far less often, it survives. That's usually because someone replied. Far better to just report to mod.

(fan) It is extremely likely that the Oort cloud exists.
SpaceX Reusable Rockets Section / Re: BFS Design Requirements
« Last post by Patchouli on Today at 04:08 AM »
FH is a different beast it has three cores with much simpler plumbing and GG cycle engines .
The FAA would never allow BFS for P2P unless they can demonstrate it can land after a catastrophic engine failure plus there is no launch escape system which means fault tolerance is your only safety net.
Though I have my doubts on BFS or any VTOL rocket vehicle being used for point to point surface transport any time soon.
This articles says that Russia intends to start testing naphthalide (нафтил) instead of RP-1 (kerosene) as the fuel for Soyuz boosters. 
I'm a linguist, not a chemist - but if I am translating correctly  the fuel is C10H7 - a monovalent radical of naphthalene. 
Testing will be done by NPO Energomash
"At NPO Energomash and at the engine manufacturer construction documentation has been completed as well as material components for conducting tests using the new fuel in 2018 with a developmental system of engine regulation," said Chief Constructor of NPO Energomash Petr Levochkin.  Certification of engines using the new fuel should be complete in 2018.
https://ria.ru/space/20180220/1514974111.html
SpaceX General Section / Re: IR takeoff images?
« Last post by catdlr on Today at 04:05 AM »
Is anyone aware of any thermal images or video released during launch?
Due to problems with zoom, this would very much be at, or shortly after launch only.
Would be interesting to see how the temperatures change at launch, and perhaps see some through the plumes.

It was done pretty regularly in the latter end of the Shuttle program. I don't have links, but the official launch recaps by NASA Johnson almost always featured some snippets of IR footage at takeoff :)

Check also ULA launches from VAFB as the AF has a great IR camera views for their launches. 

An old Example:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Next