Author Topic: Mars One Discussion Thread  (Read 454494 times)

Offline Robert Thompson

• Liked: 101
  • Likes Given: 658
Re: Mars One Discussion Thread
« Reply #480 on: 05/17/2013 10:47 pm »
kiba, you are going to have a lot of fun on this forum.

Offline Patchouli

• Liked: 253
  • Likes Given: 457
« Reply #481 on: 05/17/2013 10:54 pm »
What about bringing a 3D solar sinter to Mars first and having the equipment use sunlight and sands to build Martian bricks? Although I am not quite sure how useful martian bricks will be.

It would be very useful though Mars might have all the stuff needed to make regular bricks.
http://www.the-scientist.com/?articles.view/articleNo/34701/title/Curiosity-Finds-Clay-on-Mars/
But still if the product is mechanically strong enough it could make HV insulators etc.

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
« Reply #482 on: 05/18/2013 12:17 am »
What about bringing a 3D solar sinter to Mars first and having the equipment use sunlight and sands to build Martian bricks? Although I am not quite sure how useful martian bricks will be.

It would be very useful though Mars might have all the stuff needed to make regular bricks.
http://www.the-scientist.com/?articles.view/articleNo/34701/title/Curiosity-Finds-Clay-on-Mars/
But still if the product is mechanically strong enough it could make HV insulators etc.

My first house was wired so long ago that it used bare wire and ceramic/glass insulators. Both things that COULD be ISRU with a sinterer and some sort of smelter for the wires. Sure, modern romex or plastic clad cable is nicer but why bring more cables than you have to?
« Last Edit: 05/18/2013 12:19 am by Lar »
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline MickQ

• Australia.
  • Liked: 191
  • Likes Given: 627
« Reply #483 on: 05/18/2013 09:40 am »
With only half the sunlight  available would this system work ?

Mick.

Offline Robert Thompson

• Liked: 101
  • Likes Given: 658
« Reply #484 on: 05/19/2013 08:16 am »

Offline Jim Davis

• Liked: 124
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #485 on: 05/19/2013 12:31 pm »
http://www.newspacejournal.com/2013/05/09/mars-one-has-78000-applicants-so-far-sort-of/
Mars One has 78,000 applicants so far—sort of

Not to worry. The 78,000 figure will be quoted for the next half century as "proof" that thousands of people want to live on Mars but aren't being "allowed" to go.

Offline A_M_Swallow

• Elite Veteran
  • South coast of England
  • Liked: 500
  • Likes Given: 223
« Reply #486 on: 05/19/2013 02:45 pm »
With only half the sunlight  available would this system work ?

Mick.

Yes it would work, you just need a bigger lens and to track the sun.  It is rain clouds that upset solar sintering in Britain.

Bricks can be used to pave roads.  If there is some sort of cement bricks can also be used to make walls for buildings.

You may enjoy this video from GreenPowerScience.

Offline kiba

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #487 on: 05/19/2013 05:30 pm »
Don't buildings have to be "air-tight" or waterproof?

Offline A_M_Swallow

• Elite Veteran
  • South coast of England
  • Liked: 500
  • Likes Given: 223
« Reply #488 on: 05/19/2013 06:16 pm »
Don't buildings have to be "air-tight" or waterproof?

I do not know who you are replying to.

Sintered items can be airtight.

Offline kicaj

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #489 on: 05/21/2013 11:42 am »
Do you know anything about construction of Mars settlement replica?  this year we are supposed to watch on TV how possible future astronauts will prepare for living there.  Did MarsOne made anything about it??

Offline MickQ

• Australia.
  • Liked: 191
  • Likes Given: 627
« Reply #490 on: 06/15/2013 08:40 am »
Mars One says that their rovers will tow the landers to the preferred site for the settlement.  A fully loaded Mars One Dragon will mass what ?  10 mt ?
To my way of thinking, that means that the rover must weigh more than 10 mt. Right ?

I see a problem here.  Anyone heard anything on this front ?  Please adjust my figures accordingly

Mick.

Offline QuantumG

• Australia
  • Liked: 4477
  • Likes Given: 1108
« Reply #491 on: 06/15/2013 08:59 am »
Mars One says that their rovers will tow the landers to the preferred site for the settlement.  A fully loaded Mars One Dragon will mass what ?  10 mt ?
To my way of thinking, that means that the rover must weigh more than 10 mt. Right ?

No. Why would you think that?

Human spaceflight is basically just LARPing now.

Offline JohnFornaro

• Not an expert
  • Delta-t is an important metric.
  • Planet Eaarth
    • Design / Program Associates
  • Liked: 1257
  • Likes Given: 724
« Reply #492 on: 06/15/2013 02:50 pm »
http://www.newspacejournal.com/2013/05/09/mars-one-has-78000-applicants-so-far-sort-of/
Mars One has 78,000 applicants so far—sort of

Not to worry. The 78,000 figure will be quoted for the next half century as "proof" that thousands of people want to live on Mars but aren't being "allowed" to go.

Took the words right out of my keyboard!
Sometimes I just flat out don't get it.

Offline JohnFornaro

• Not an expert
  • Delta-t is an important metric.
  • Planet Eaarth
    • Design / Program Associates
  • Liked: 1257
  • Likes Given: 724
« Reply #493 on: 06/15/2013 02:57 pm »

I see a problem here.  Anyone heard anything on this front ?  Please adjust my figures accordingly

Mick.

Not shown in the literature is the wheeled cart which is under the Dragon capsules.  Or the wheeled crane/tractor which picks up the capsules and puts them on the cart.  Which then goes over the smooth, nearly level terrain, towing the carts behind, takes them off the carts and sets them down in a line, as per the illustration. And then goes back to the landing site.  Every two years.  Or the robots or people who are hooking up the capsules to one another.

But don't worry.  They've thought of everything.  How much can you pledge?
« Last Edit: 06/15/2013 03:02 pm by JohnFornaro »
Sometimes I just flat out don't get it.

Offline Falcon H

• Liked: 108
  • Likes Given: 232
« Reply #494 on: 06/15/2013 05:58 pm »
I like the idea of a commercial mars mission, but they don't have any money, I want to believe, but I just don't see how it's possible. :( Also...shouldn't they be using inflatable modules ?  ???

Offline QuantumG

• Australia
« Reply #495 on: 06/15/2013 11:44 pm »
I like the idea of a commercial mars mission, but they don't have any money

They've raised more money for a private Mars mission than anyone else ever has, they have a signed contract with Paragon and another expected to be signed this year with another company.

Offline kkattula

• Melbourne, Australia
  • Liked: 656
  • Likes Given: 116
« Reply #496 on: 06/16/2013 12:11 am »
I like the idea of a commercial mars mission, but they don't have any money, I want to believe, but I just don't see how it's possible. :( Also...shouldn't they be using inflatable modules ?  ???

Those 78,000 applicants paid application fees which averaged around $30, IIRC.

Their model is not "Raise the money, then build the program".

Their model seems to be: "Use the process of building the program to raise money".
« Last Edit: 06/16/2013 12:12 am by kkattula »

Offline QuantumG

• Australia
« Reply #497 on: 06/16/2013 12:20 am »

Those 78,000 applicants paid application fees which averaged around $30, IIRC.

No.. I mean they've raised a few million from investors. Something no-one else has done in the many decades of dreamers talking of going to Mars.

Their model is not "Raise the money, then build the program".

Their model seems to be: "Use the process of building the program to raise money".

Yes.

Offline joek

• Liked: 2783
  • Likes Given: 1097
« Reply #498 on: 06/16/2013 01:01 am »
No.. I mean they've raised a few million from investors. Something no-one else has done in the many decades of dreamers talking of going to Mars.
That they have managed to raise a few $M is interesting, but by no means unique except maybe with regards to Mars/HSF.  Heck, many religious groups (among others) would put their numbers to shame.  Do they have a secret sauce?  Are they hucksters extraordinaire?  Maybe a sign of the times?  Or what?  In short, seems that they've "raised a few million" is not an a-priori endorsement of their efforts.

Offline QuantumG

• Australia
« Reply #499 on: 06/16/2013 01:15 am »

That they have managed to raise a few $M is interesting, but by no means unique except maybe with regards to Mars/HSF.

That's all that is relevant here.

Back in the 90s there was a number of people who talked about making a tv show or a movie as a short term funding source for human spaceflight. They never even raised the seed money to fund the film crew, let alone the spaceflight.

Do they have a secret sauce?  Are they hucksters extraordinaire?  Maybe a sign of the times?  Or what?  In short, seems that they've "raised a few million" is not an a-priori endorsement of their efforts.

Their "secret sauce" is that they're actually serious and are willing to spend their own money. What more do you want?

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography