Author Topic: Behind the scenes with Big Bang Theory's real-life astronaut actor  (Read 43443 times)

Offline collectSPACE

• The Source for Space History & Artifacts
  • Houston, TX
    • collectSPACE
  • Liked: 287
  • Likes Given: 5
Behind the scenes with Big Bang Theory's real-life astronaut actor
http://www.collectspace.com/news/news-051012a.html

Mike Massimino isn't a Soyuz crewmember, but he plays one on TV...

The real-life NASA astronaut made his second cameo on CBS's "The Big Bang Theory" on Thursday, joining the show's Howard Wolowitz (Simon Helberg) to launch to the International Space Station aboard a Russian capsule. collectSPACE caught up with Massimino to talk about the show, its mock spacecraft and spacesuits, and the future of spaceflight, both by NASA and "The Big Bang Theory."

Offline elmarko

• I am very curious about THIS little conundrum
  • Preston, UK
    • ElMarko.org
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 0
I've really enjoyed this storyline on BBT, and the addition of Mass makes it all the more authentic. He's genuinely brilliant, and one of the best public faces NASA's had in ages.

Offline Chris Bergin

Terrible show. Not at all funny.

BAZINGA!! ;D

Mass is a perfect fit for this. From pulling off handle from Hubble to public outreach. Love the fella.

Great show. Waiting for the ep to get over here.
« Last Edit: 05/11/2012 12:38 pm by Chris Bergin »
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline elmarko

• Preston, UK
    • ElMarko.org
It's not a great show but it's pretty good.

Edit: To expand on this. I have no idea if you guys have ever watched the show Community, but people tend to compare the two as they are similarly nerdy, but BBT is watched by a lot of people but isn't as good as Community which is watched by not many people (which is a travesty):

BBT is a show about nerds written for everyone
Community is a show about everyone written for nerds.

So the BBT is a bit more popularist and I do sometimes get annoyed with the constant over-explanation of a nerd reference just so everybody else gets the joke.

But it is a pretty good show, and I can't believe it's from the same writer as the shower of crap that is Two and a Half Men...
« Last Edit: 05/11/2012 02:55 pm by elmarko »

Offline Delta7

• Liked: 22
For the life of me I cannot figure out why NASA put Massimino in management astronaut status instead of on an ISS expedition. The PR from his inevitable segments from orbit would be worth the trip in itself.
« Last Edit: 05/12/2012 06:57 pm by Delta7 »

Offline Space Pete

For the life of me I cannot figure out why NASA put Massimino in management astronaut status instead of on an ISS expedition. The PR from his inevitable segments from orbit would be worth the trip in itself.

While he is in a management position, Mass is currently head of the astronaut office appearances branch - an excellent use of his skills, IMHO. :)

I too would love to see Mass on ISS, but it may not entirely be a NASA decision - Mass personally may not want to commit to the 3 year+ training schedule, learning foreign languages, etc.
« Last Edit: 05/12/2012 07:45 pm by Space Pete »
NASASpaceflight ISS Editor

Offline Delta7

• Liked: 22

While he is in a management position, Mass is currently head of the astronaut office appearances branch - an excellent use of his skills, IMHO. :)

I too would love to see Mass on ISS, but it may not entirely be a NASA decision - Mass personally may not want to commit to the 3 year+ training schedule, learning foreign languages, etc.

I might be mistaken, but it seems I read something a while back somewhere where Mas indicated the decision to go management wasn't his ...

Offline Chris Bergin

Seen the episode now. Mass was great, as expected. The Russian commander was good too!

**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline elmarko

• Preston, UK
    • ElMarko.org
Seen the episode now. Mass was great, as expected. The Russian commander was good too!

"9 times out of 10... it's no problem."

"What happens on the 10th time?"

"Problem."

Offline Ben the Space Brit

• A spaceflight fan
  • London, UK
  • Liked: 806
  • Likes Given: 900

"9 times out of 10... it's no problem."

"What happens on the 10th time?"

"Problem."

The inviolable and absolute truth of the difficulties of spaceflight in one pithy exchange. ;D
"Oops! I left the silly thing in reverse!" - Duck Dodgers

~*~*~*~

The Space Shuttle Program - 1981-2011

The time for words has passed; The time has come to put up or shut up!
DON'T PROPAGANDISE, FLY!!!

Offline Chilly

• It's not rocket science
  • Central Ohio
  • Liked: 10
  • Likes Given: 10
BBT is a show about nerds written for everyone
Community is a show about everyone written for nerds.

So the BBT is a bit more popularist and I do sometimes get annoyed with the constant over-explanation of a nerd reference just so everybody else gets the joke.

Community rocks, and I hope it stays on for a very long time. I love their un-sitcom style. It's like the Simpsons - jokes are a mile a minute, and if you blink you might miss something.

Just started watching BBT (don't ask why it took so long). It's certainly more traditional sitcom but still quite funny.
Those who can't do, write.

Offline Longhorn John

• Regular
  • Liked: 60
  • Likes Given: 130
Great episode! Mass is doing great work for NASA's image, but do we think many people actually know he's an astronaut?

Offline elmarko

• Preston, UK
    • ElMarko.org
Chilly, you'll be happy to know NBC just ordered 13 more episodes of Community

</derail> ;)

Offline Chris Bergin

Thought the season opener did very well with the ISS stuff.

Some nice shots of the ISS on orbit (never hurts to get those out in front of Joe Public), the interior looks pretty realistic, as does the floating around. Showed they can make phone and video calls (although no privatizing the loop for his Mum I noticed ;D "HOWARD!!!"), some factiods, such as the water recycling (albeit for the purpose of a joke). The Russian guy is good too. Still would happily marry Penny...I digress! ;D

I wonder if Mass has any more appearances - seen as he launched with them.

Offline MATTBLAK

• Elite Veteran & 'J.A.F.A'
  • 'Space Cadets' Let us; UNITE!! (crickets chirping)
  • New Zealand
  • Liked: 2239
  • Likes Given: 3883
Kaley Cuoco is terrific! She can be a bit goofy, but definitely still sexy. She also has wonderful comic timing as does all the cast. Mass will probably appear again either when he has the time or its time to portray Howard's return to Earth.
« Last Edit: 09/28/2012 11:54 am by MATTBLAK »
"Those who can't, Blog".   'Space Cadets' of the World - Let us UNITE!! (crickets chirping)

Offline Ben the Space Brit

• A spaceflight fan
  • London, UK
  • Liked: 806
  • Likes Given: 900
It actually looks like in the first four episodes of the next season of TBBT, Howard will still be on the ISS.  The fourth episode is "The Re-entry Minimization".  This raises the interesting prospect of Howard's appearances being by simulated video-link from a mock-up of the interior of one of the station's modules.
"Oops! I left the silly thing in reverse!" - Duck Dodgers

~*~*~*~

The Space Shuttle Program - 1981-2011

The time for words has passed; The time has come to put up or shut up!
DON'T PROPAGANDISE, FLY!!!

Offline elmarko

• Preston, UK
    • ElMarko.org
Bernadette is the hottest woman on BBT. I mean, Penny is great and all, but Bernadette has brains, wit, and... 2 other great reasons.

I can't believe I just did that.

Offline MATTBLAK

• Elite Veteran & 'J.A.F.A'
  • 'Space Cadets' Let us; UNITE!! (crickets chirping)
  • New Zealand
  • Liked: 2239
  • Likes Given: 3883
...And her real voice is not that squeaky, either! The big glasses she wears for her character hides her amazing eyes. Have a Google around for interviews with Melissa Rauch and you'll see what I mean.
"Those who can't, Blog".   'Space Cadets' of the World - Let us UNITE!! (crickets chirping)

Offline elmarko

• Preston, UK
    • ElMarko.org
Oh yeah I saw her on Letterman, it's crazy. Her impression of Howard's mom is great too.

Offline collectSPACE

• The Source for Space History & Artifacts
  • Houston, TX
    • collectSPACE
  • Liked: 287
  • Likes Given: 5
Space for rent: How 'The Big Bang Theory' sent Howard Wolowitz to space
http://www.collectspace.com/news/news-100412a.html

Howard Wolowitz is still in space.

The fictional aerospace engineer and Expedition 31 crew member was seen floating aboard the International Space Station (ISS) during last week's season premiere of the CBS hit television series "The Big Bang Theory." On this week's episode, airing tonight (Oct. 4), Wolowitz is still off the planet, 250 miles up.

Of course, he is not really on the space station. The real ISS Expedition 31 ended in July. Wolowitz, or rather actor Simon Helberg, was on a sound stage at the Warner Bros. studio lot in Burbank, Calif.

Includes an exclusive look and the details behind the fictional Expedition 31 mission patch created for the show's crew of Howard Wolowitz, astronaut Mike Massimino and (fictional) cosmonaut Dimitri Rezinov (actor Pasha Lychnikoff).

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography