Poll

Do you like NASA's New Mars Human Exploration Plans?

Like it
27 (31%)
Could use improvements
34 (39.1%)
Don't Like it
26 (29.9%)

Total Members Voted: 87

Author Topic: New NASA Mars plans  (Read 9784 times)

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
Re: New NASA Mars plans
« Reply #20 on: 04/15/2017 02:32 pm »
Nope. Quit throwing good money after bad. Cancel the 2 albatrosses. Focus on facilitating commercial companies who have their eyes on Mars and are focused on use of cutting edge technology rather than legacy antiquated tech that is really just a pork portal.

Boeing and LM have their eyes on Mars.
How much of their own money are they spending on it, beyond Powerpoints?

I voted "could use improvement" because any plan that has SLS in it... could use improvement.  To be fair, might be (probably are) stuck with SLS given reality, but it's a terrible waste...
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline FishInferno

• Liked: 165
  • Likes Given: 219
« Reply #21 on: 04/15/2017 02:44 pm »
Nope. Quit throwing good money after bad. Cancel the 2 albatrosses. Focus on facilitating commercial companies who have their eyes on Mars and are focused on use of cutting edge technology rather than legacy antiquated tech that is really just a pork portal.

No, Boeing and LM have their eyes on NASA contracts.  SpaceX and Blue Origin are both using their own capital to develop tech that could very likely have no return on investment, at least not for a good while.  Boeing and LM are only developing something after it has been assigned to them.
Comparing SpaceX and SLS is like comparing paying people to plant fruit trees with merely digging holes and filling them.  - Robotbeat

Offline TomH

• Vancouver, WA
  • Liked: 1868
  • Likes Given: 909
« Reply #22 on: 04/15/2017 09:30 pm »

I'm sure they do, just like I do. I look at pictures of the Red Planet all the time.

Offline speedevil

• Fife
  • Liked: 2762
  • Likes Given: 3369
« Reply #23 on: 04/30/2017 02:47 pm »
These plans have nothing to do with the 2017 authorisation act requirements?
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=39540.240

Subsec. 432(b)   Before 1 Dec. 2017, then biannually or more frequently, with budget submission   NASA   "Human Exploration Roadmap"
seems closest - but I missed any budget in this.

Offline Hotblack Desiato

• Austria
  • Liked: 74
  • Likes Given: 52
« Reply #24 on: 05/04/2017 09:17 pm »
I've voted for "could use improvement" too, although my preferred choice would be "could be (vastly) improved".

The simple reason: If they create a DSG-module, that is agnostic to its location, they could set one up at the EM-L2, another one in the orbit of Mars, another one in the orbit of Venus, etc. Whereever they want to go, they could place a DSG for future missions.

These DSGs could act as seed-points for larger stations with mission-relevant modules (just leave the mission module at the DSG (no point of taking it back to earth, and no point in discarding it afterwards), and let these modules cumulate over time).

This way, there'll be soon a network of stations scattered over the inner solar system (maybe even one or two in the outer solar system), with regular visits of crews.

Of course, that can't be the goal for the next 10-15 years, this is a multi decade effort, and that also means that we don't know yet which rockets will be used for visiting these stations. First, there will be SLS (unless it gets cancelled), then there will be evolved versions of SLS, or NASA takes a ride on a commercially available heavy lift system, which should be available in the near future (next decade).

From those stations, it is just a minor (more or less) hop down to the surface (depending on the object... venus will be insanely tough), requiring a special spacecraft...

Offline AncientU

• Liked: 4164
  • Likes Given: 6078
« Reply #25 on: 05/07/2017 12:31 pm »

What?  Did someone discover pork on Mars?
"If we shared everything [we are working on] people would think we are insane!"
-- SpaceX friend of mlindner

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography