Author Topic: SpaceX Dragon V2 Updates and Discussion  (Read 667798 times)

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 8560
  • Likes Given: 320
Re: SpaceX Dragon V2 Updates and Discussion
« Reply #1180 on: 06/25/2016 12:54 pm »
The first test article of a SpaceX Crew Dragon undergoes structural load testing to demonstrate the spacecraft’s ability to withstand the tremendous forces it’s exposed to during space flight. The backbone of Crew Dagon is a metallic welded pressure vessel. SpaceX has completed manufacturing of the first two pressure vessels to be used for ground testing, and is currently manufacturing two Crew Dragon flight articles. Photo credit: SpaceX
Jacques :-)

Offline dror

• Israel
  • Liked: 245
  • Likes Given: 593
« Reply #1181 on: 06/25/2016 07:06 pm »
Is it time to rename this thread, "Crew Dragon Updates and Discussion"? The "V2" terminology appears to have disappeared entirely from Musk's/ SpaceX's lexicon.

Like the purple hatch BTW, very festive.
SpaceX or NASA's captions used "Dragon 2" as a generic family name of the vehicles. "Crew Dragon" and "Red Dragon" are, thus, variants of the model.

There may also be an unmanned "Cargo Dragon 2" version, so "Crew Dragon" may not be correct
Space is hard immensely complex and high risk !

Offline ScottMC

• Hamilton, New Zealand
  • Liked: 138
  • Likes Given: 2482
« Reply #1182 on: 06/26/2016 08:14 pm »
Looks slightly lengthened, no?
Side-by-side comparison.  Dragon 1 pressure vessel on the left, Dragon 2 on the right

Credits to SpaceX:
http://www.spacex.com/news/2013/02/12/dragonfalcon-9-update
https://twitter.com/SpaceX/status/746052988964200448

The angles are different but I agree that base does appear slightly lengthened compared to the Dragon 1 pressure vessel.  The round window might be larger too.

Edit: shortened quote to clarify what I'm responding to.  Simply a photo comparison between Dragon 1 and Dragon 2 pressure vessels :)
« Last Edit: 06/26/2016 08:46 pm by ScottMC »

Offline guckyfan

• Germany
  • Liked: 2332
  • Likes Given: 2891
« Reply #1183 on: 06/26/2016 08:22 pm »
I am sure they have not redesigned the shape of the pressure vessel since the pad abort. If I remember correctly it was mentioned though, that the amount of fuel would be increased. But that too was decided before the pad abort.

Offline yokem55

• Oregon (Ore-uh-gun dammit)
  • Liked: 468
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #1184 on: 06/27/2016 12:15 am »
I am sure they have not redesigned the shape of the pressure vessel since the pad abort. If I remember correctly it was mentioned though, that the amount of fuel would be increased. But that too was decided before the pad abort.
From what I remember, the pad abort article was was a dragon 1 pressure vessel with a dragon 2 outer mold line, so the differences could entirely be chalked up to that...

Offline guckyfan

• Germany
  • Liked: 2332
  • Likes Given: 2891
« Reply #1185 on: 06/27/2016 03:56 am »
From what I remember, the pad abort article was was a dragon 1 pressure vessel with a dragon 2 outer mold line, so the differences could entirely be chalked up to that...

I probably was not clear enough. That's what I meant. The pressure vessel on the abort test was old. But the design of the new one was already done and not changed because of the outcome of the pad abort. Which would probably mean that fuel for the abort was more limited then it will be on the real crew Dragon.

Offline darkenfast

• Liked: 1829
  • Likes Given: 8739
« Reply #1186 on: 06/27/2016 08:44 am »
The windows are somewhat oval and are also set at a slight angle to the pressure vessel (i.e: the side away from the hatch protrudes out more than the side towards the hatch.  On the old Dragon info page on the SpaceX site, the dimensions of the lower cylinder (IIRC), were 2.2m wide and .6m long.  If I had to guess (based on these wide-angle photos), I'd say that they made the cone-shaped part of the pressure hull above the cylinder more shallow.  I don't THINK they changed the upper cone, although the angle and lens make it appear somewhat shorter.  One of the photos above shows a man underneath the rig, which may help with scale.
Writer of Book and Lyrics for musicals "SCAR", "Cinderella!", and "Aladdin!". Retired Naval Security Group. "I think SCAR is a winner. Great score, [and] the writing is up there with the very best!"
-- Phil Henderson, Composer of the West End musical "The Far Pavilions".

Offline stoker5432

• Liked: 32
  • Likes Given: 37
« Reply #1187 on: 06/27/2016 09:22 pm »

Looking at the pictures of the pad abort article verses these new pictures, I can't see how the outer mold line could be the same if that base is used. It looks to be twice as tall. Looking at the hatch position on the pad abort article,to me anyway, clearly indicates use of the older version of the pressure vessel. As far as the bottom of the capsule being shallower, that just looks like camera angle distortion to me.

Offline BrianNH

• Liked: 142
  • Likes Given: 653
« Reply #1188 on: 08/19/2016 04:50 pm »
New parachute test

https://blogs.nasa.gov/commercialcrew/2016/08/19/spacex-conducts-successful-crew-dragon-parachute-system-test/

A Crew Dragon test article successfully deployed its four main parachutes as planned during a test that saw the SpaceX-made test article dropped from a C-130 aircraft 26,000 feet above Delamar Dry Lake, Nevada.

The parachute test is just one of an evaluation regimen that is expected to include many additional parachute drops of increasing complexity. SpaceX and NASA engineers will use the results throughout the test program to confirm the system and get it certified for use first on flight tests and then for operational missions.

Offline Lars-J

• California
  • Liked: 8485
  • Likes Given: 5384
« Reply #1189 on: 08/19/2016 05:31 pm »

Offline docmordrid

• Michigan
  • Liked: 4207
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #1190 on: 08/19/2016 05:43 pm »
With a trunk? Looks odd....
DM

Offline whitelancer64

« Reply #1191 on: 08/19/2016 05:45 pm »
4 good chutes. Looks like a very smooth test.
"One bit of advice: it is important to view knowledge as sort of a semantic tree -- make sure you understand the fundamental principles, ie the trunk and big branches, before you get into the leaves/details or there is nothing for them to hang on to." - Elon Musk
"There are lies, damned lies, and launch schedules." - Larry J

Offline JBF

• Liked: 472
  • Likes Given: 914
« Reply #1192 on: 08/19/2016 06:33 pm »
Interesting how much they had to squash it to fit into the cargo plane.
"In principle, rocket engines are simple, but that’s the last place rocket engines are ever simple." Jeff Bezos

Offline cscott

• Liked: 2867
  • Likes Given: 726
« Reply #1193 on: 08/19/2016 07:14 pm »
I think JBF is suggesting that this is the shape of the capsule-without-trunk clipped to the cargo bay volume, not a capsule+trunk.

Offline mme

• Santa Barbara, CA, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Supercluster
  • Liked: 2034
  • Likes Given: 5381
« Reply #1194 on: 08/19/2016 07:31 pm »
I think it's just the 'chutes mounted in a mass simulator, not a Dragon.
Space is not Highlander.  There can, and will, be more than one.

Offline Craftyatom

• Software!
  • Arizona, USA
  • Liked: 720
  • Likes Given: 9169
« Reply #1195 on: 08/19/2016 08:35 pm »
(drop test pictures)

It's gonna take a while to get used to that many chutes, just saying.

And yeah, that looks like just a mass simulator.  Anything with the same mass and a lower Cd should work fine.
All aboard the HSF hype train!  Choo Choo!

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 8560
  • Likes Given: 320
« Reply #1196 on: 08/22/2016 02:05 pm »
High Res.
Jacques :-)

Offline Jdeshetler

• Silicon Valley, CA
  • Liked: 3673
  • Likes Given: 3551
« Reply #1197 on: 08/22/2016 02:50 pm »
This 10 frames per second clip from NASA streaming was altered and stabilized.

Offline deruch

• California
  • Liked: 2006
  • Likes Given: 5634
« Reply #1198 on: 08/26/2016 08:08 am »
This 10 frames per second clip from NASA streaming was altered and stabilized.

For anyone who wants to watch the NASA stream with sound, it can be found in Part 3 of the hosted commentary from John44's capture of the EVA-36 coverage.  The start time mark is 37m:15s.

Expedition-48 - US Spacewalk (EVA-36) (hosted coverage and commentary)
http://www.space-multimedia.nl.eu.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=9949
Shouldn't reality posts be in "Advanced concepts"?  --Nomadd

Offline Chris Bergin

Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography