Author Topic: Soviet Rocket Launch & Space Flight Educational Film  (Read 961 times)

Online catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8822
  • Likes Given: 7826
SOVIET ROCKET LAUNCH & SPACE FLIGHT EDUCATIONAL FILM 52224

PeriscopeFilm

Published on May 5, 2017
Dating to the 1960s, this Soviet film shows some of the USSR's manned rockets and the Baikonur Cosmodrome in southern Kazakhstan. It was the world's first and largest operational space launch facility. The rocket shown appears to be of the Voshkod or Soyuz variety. At 1:30, the film discusses the difference between a rocket engine and an artillery shell and a jet aircraft engine.

At 2:11, cosmonauts arrive at the launch site. At 4:17, some cosmonaut training is seen using a High G-Force Centrifuge. At 4:58, the two cosmonauts are ready for launch. The launch takes place a short time later at 5:19. Telemetry tracks the rocket into space and animation shows the orbit of the capsule. Various types of orbits are explained.

The presence of two astronauts indicates this may have been Voskhod 2, a Soviet manned space mission in March 1965.
The Voskhod rocket (Russian: Восход, "ascent", "dawn") was a derivative of the Soviet R-7 ICBM designed for the human spaceflight programme but later used for launching Zenit reconnaissance satellites. It consisted of the Molniya 8K78M third stage minus the Blok L. In 1966, all R-7 variants were equipped with the uprated core stage and strap-ons of the Soyuz 11A511. The Blok I stage in the Voskhod booster used the RD-107 engine rather than the RD-110 in the Soyuz, which was more powerful and also man-rated. The sole exception to this were the two manned Voskhod launches, which had RD-108 engines, a man-rated RD-107 but with the same performance.

The Soyuz (Russian: Союз, meaning "union", GRAU index 11A511) was a Soviet expendable carrier rocket designed in the 1960s by OKB-1 and manufactured by State Aviation Plant No. 1 in Kuybyshev, Soviet Union. It was commissioned to launch Soyuz spacecraft as part of the Soviet human spaceflight program, first with 8 unmanned test flights, followed by the first 19 manned launches.[1] The original Soyuz also propelled four test flights of the improved Soyuz 7K-T capsule between 1972 and 1974. In total it flew 30 successful missions over 10 years and suffered two failures.

We encourage viewers to add comments and, especially, to provide additional information about our videos by adding a comment! See something interesting? Tell people what it is and what they can see by writing something for example: "01:00:12:00 -- President Roosevelt is seen meeting with Winston Churchill at the Quebec Conference."

This film is part of the Periscope Film LLC archive, one of the largest historic military, transportation, and aviation stock footage collections in the USA. Entirely film backed, this material is available for licensing in 24p HD, 2k and 4k.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QES8EZJXmk?t=001

« Last Edit: 05/06/2017 01:04 am by gongora »
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography