Author Topic: LIVE: Delta-IV - GPS IIF-5 - February 20, 2014 (LT)  (Read 77898 times)

Offline landofgrey

• Recovering rocket scientist, currently media
  • Living the dream in Cape Canaveral
  • KSC / CCAFS / Melbourne, FL
    • ARES Institute, Inc.
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Delta-IV - GPS IIF-5 - November, 2013
« Reply #20 on: 10/18/2013 09:05 pm »
I have a query in as to the likelihood of the launch slipping past MAVEN. From everything I've been hearing here around the cape, it seems likely, but I want to get something more or less official even if off-the-record.

Ah... a reply. I'm being told it's too soon to tell as of now. So... we'll see.

Matt
« Last Edit: 10/18/2013 09:06 pm by landofgrey »
Twitter: @spacearium; YouTube: spacearium

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3974
  • Likes Given: 220
« Reply #21 on: 10/19/2013 11:12 am »

ULA

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. (Oct. 18, 2013) -- The launch of the GPS IIF-5 mission on a ULA Delta IV launch vehicle, currently scheduled for Oct. 23, 2013, is being delayed. The team has continued with Phase II of an investigation related to a successful Delta IV launch that occurred in October 2012 in which the second stage RL10B-2 engine thrust was lower than expected.  It was determined that a fuel leak occurred within the engine system and that this fuel leak caused the low thrust.  The ongoing Phase II investigation has included extremely detailed characterization and reconstructions of the instrumentation signatures obtained from the October 2012 launch and these have recently resulted in some updated conclusions related to dynamic responses that occurred on the engine system during the first engine start event.  The GPS IIF-5 Delta IV launch is being delayed to allow the technical team time to further assess these updated conclusions and assess the improvements already implemented and determine whether additional changes are required prior to the next Delta IV launch. The Delta IV booster for the GPS IIF-5 mission has completed the standard processing and checkout on the launch pad and will be maintained in a ready state for spacecraft mate and launch pending completion of this assessment. A new launch date will be established when the assessment of the updated dynamic response information is completed in the coming weeks. The processing of Atlas V vehicles for upcoming missions including the Nov. 18 launch of the MAVEN mission for NASA are proceeding as planned.

Jessica Rye, APR
ULA Communications

How is that this effects this mission & not other Delta IV missions we have already seen this year, is it purely because it's another GPS mission?

Offline ugordan

• My mainly Cassini image gallery
  • Liked: 3543
  • Likes Given: 759
« Reply #22 on: 10/19/2013 11:14 am »
My guess is it's got something to do with the "some updated conclusions". I.e. they OK-d the engine based on earlier investigation but they're now having some second thoughts about that.

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3974
  • Likes Given: 220
Delta-IV - GPS IIF-5 - November, 2013
« Reply #23 on: 10/19/2013 11:24 am »
My guess is it's got something to do with the "some updated conclusions". I.e. they OK-d the engine based on earlier investigation but they're now having some second thoughts about that.

Does it indicate there is block of engines with this issue?
« Last Edit: 10/19/2013 11:25 am by Star One »

Offline ugordan

• My mainly Cassini image gallery
  • Liked: 3543
  • Likes Given: 759
« Reply #24 on: 10/19/2013 11:31 am »
Since the last few flights went off without a hitch, I would say it's not a multiple engine issue. Whatever happened seems to be very rare/unlikely, they likely just want to understand it as best as they possibly can in order to guarantee this doesn't happen again.

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4672
  • Likes Given: 768
« Reply #25 on: 10/19/2013 04:48 pm »
Since the last few flights went off without a hitch, I would say it's not a multiple engine issue. Whatever happened seems to be very rare/unlikely, they likely just want to understand it as best as they possibly can in order to guarantee this doesn't happen again.
A hold preventing launch was placed on several DIVs by Phase II of the commission to allow for inspection of the DCSS and the engine modifications and other changes implemented after the engine failure. If they are happy with the results they will release this DIV just like all of the DIVs since engine incident happened. This process will repeat for the foreseeable future for DCSS stages that have had the required mods implemented while the engine was attached to the DCSS during the modification process. This stage by stage review by the investigation will end soon as the engines that were not installed at the time of the incident can be inspected before installation to a DCSS. This is my understanding. Also RL-10C conversions begin flying at the end of 2014 to the beginning of 2015.

Offline WHAP

• Liked: 105
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #26 on: 10/19/2013 05:19 pm »
A hold preventing launch was placed on several DIVs by Phase II of the commission to allow for inspection of the DCSS and the engine modifications and other changes implemented after the engine failure. If they are happy with the results they will release this DIV just like all of the DIVs since engine incident happened. This process will repeat for the foreseeable future for DCSS stages that have had the required mods implemented while the engine was attached to the DCSS during the modification process. This stage by stage review by the investigation will end soon as the engines that were not installed at the time of the incident can be inspected before installation to a DCSS. This is my understanding. Also RL-10C conversions begin flying at the end of 2014 to the beginning of 2015.

This is more than the one-at-a-time clearance that was previously performed.  ugordon is on the right track.  RL-10C conversions will fly on Atlas, not Delta.
ULA employee.  My opinions do not necessarily reflect those of my employer.

Online Galactic Penguin SST

« Reply #27 on: 10/31/2013 05:50 pm »
Just scrolled by http://earth-info.nga.mil/GandG/sathtml/satinfo.html and saw this:

Satellite         Freq.         
 PRN/SVN   Plane  Std #   Block   
---------+-------+-----+----------+-Scheduled-Upcoming-Launches---------------------------------
  30/64     D4            IIF-5    Mid-November 2013...will be given PRN30...after launch,
                                    SVN49 will be assigned PRN06...then SVN36 will be put
                                    into 'spare' status...

Wonder if that's true as of right now?  ::)

BTW the spacecraft will go to plane D, slot 4 to replace SVN34 (GPS IIA-13, launched on August 30, 1993), which will in turn become a spare satellite on plane D. SVN64 will use PRN30, now used by the problematic SVN49/GPS IIR-20, which will switch to PRN06. SVN36/GPS IIA-15, which currently uses PRN06, will be switched to a backup role.
Astronomy & spaceflight geek penguin. In a relationship w/ Space Shuttle Discovery. Current Priority: Chasing the Chinese Spaceflight Wonder Egg & A Certain Chinese Mars Rover

Online jacqmans

• Global Moderator
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 8562
  • Likes Given: 320
« Reply #28 on: 11/17/2013 10:28 pm »
Photo of the Rocket taken today from the media bus as we went out to Pad-41.
Jacques :-)

« Reply #29 on: 11/18/2013 10:23 pm »
Astronomy & spaceflight geek penguin. In a relationship w/ Space Shuttle Discovery. Current Priority: Chasing the Chinese Spaceflight Wonder Egg & A Certain Chinese Mars Rover

Online jacqmans

• Global Moderator
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 8562
  • Likes Given: 320
« Reply #30 on: 11/19/2013 02:40 am »
Today
Jacques :-)

Online Chris Bergin

Re: Delta-IV - GPS IIF-5 - TBD
« Reply #31 on: 12/05/2013 02:46 pm »
Per L2 Cape Pad schedule, this is not going next. The Delta IV / AFSPC-04 mission is next to launch from SLC-37, on February 27.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
  • Liked: 8565
  • Likes Given: 1356
« Reply #32 on: 12/05/2013 02:51 pm »
Per L2 Cape Pad schedule, this is not going next. The Delta IV / AFSPC-04 mission is next to launch from SLC-37, on February 27.
Same, or different, rocket?

- Ed Kyle

« Reply #33 on: 12/05/2013 02:56 pm »

- Ed Kyle

Can ULA swap the rocket? (both will use the M+(4,2) configuration)

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4672
  • Likes Given: 768
« Reply #34 on: 12/05/2013 07:08 pm »

- Ed Kyle

Can ULA swap the rocket? (both will use the M+(4,2) configuration)
yes they have done it before, I think once

Online Chris Bergin

Re: Delta-IV - GPS IIF-5 - Late Feb, 2014
« Reply #35 on: 12/05/2013 09:06 pm »
Updating via L2 again. Late Feb NET.
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline macpacheco

• Vitoria-ES-Brazil
  • Liked: 368
  • Likes Given: 3041
« Reply #36 on: 01/18/2014 03:04 pm »
Just picked up a change in:
http://earth-info.nga.mil/GandG/sathtml/satinfo.html

Satellite         Freq.         
 PRN/SVN   Plane  Std #   Block   
---------+-------+-----+----------+-Scheduled-Upcoming-Launches---------------------------------
  30/64     A3            IIF-5    Scheduled for 20 February 2014...will be given PRN30...after
                                    launch, SVN49 will be assigned PRN06...then SVN36 will be
                                    put into 'spare' status...

Before it was late winter / early spring 2014. So perhaps we can adopt NET Feb 20th 2014 ?
Looking for companies doing great things for much more than money

Offline averagespacejoe

• Liked: 51
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #37 on: 01/27/2014 02:47 am »
Trying to verify the launch window but I heard 8:40 pm EST on 2/20

Offline input~2

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1540
  • Likes Given: 567
Re: Delta-IV - GPS IIF-5 - February 20, 2014
« Reply #38 on: 01/27/2014 05:45 am »
Quote from:  45th Space Wing
Launch Vehicle/Mission: Delta 4/GPS 2F-5
 Date: Feb. 20, 2014

Online Chris Bergin

Re: Delta-IV - GPS IIF-5 - February 20, 2014
« Reply #39 on: 01/28/2014 01:11 pm »
Launch window:  2040-2059L (Pending)

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography