Author Topic: LIVE: Atlas V 401 - GPS IIF-11 - Canaveral SLC-41, October 31, 2015  (Read 40385 times)

Offline beidou

• Mars
  • Liked: 48
  • Likes Given: 3
This will be GPS SVN-73, and a successful launch will be a milestone from the perspective of GPS modernization - the second civilian frequency (L2C) signal and modernized military (M-code) signal will achieve initial operation capability (IOC) when this satellite commissioned.
« Last Edit: 10/30/2015 08:37 pm by Chris Bergin »

Offline beidou

• Mars
Launch photos can be found here: http://www.launchphotography.com/GPS_2F-11.html
« Last Edit: 10/20/2015 08:52 pm by beidou »

Offline macpacheco

• Vitoria-ES-Brazil
  • Liked: 368
  • Likes Given: 3041
This will be GPS SVN-72, and a successful launch will be a milestone from the perspective of GPS modernization - the second civilian frequency (L2C) signal and modernized military (M-code) signal will achieve initial operation capability (IOC) when this satellite commissioned.
Without SVN49, another IIF must be launched for 18 operational L2C / M Code IOC, also, I suspect the concept of IOC for L2C / M Code depends on more than just having 18 operational birds with the signal, but also a proper 6x3 layout to avoid coverage gaps (which is exactly what IOC / FOC aims to assure against).
The other issue is without OCX phase I L2C / M Code also won't be officialy available since OCX phase I is required for ground segment monitoring of the new signals, that is likely to take around 2 more years if further delays don't happen.

Edit... Didn't notice this was the IIF-11 thread... Another good launch should result in 18 healthy L2C / M-Code signals. But still think a proper IOC will take a few more years due to OCX and geometry issues.
« Last Edit: 07/24/2015 03:57 am by macpacheco »
Looking for companies doing great things for much more than money

Offline Steven Pietrobon

• Adelaide, Australia
    • Steven Pietrobon's Space Archive
  • Liked: 32738
  • Likes Given: 8196
This will be GPS SVN-72, and a successful launch will be a milestone from the perspective of GPS modernization - the second civilian frequency (L2C) signal and modernized military (M-code) signal will achieve initial operation capability (IOC) when this satellite commissioned.

The GPS IIF-10 thread says that is SVN 72. Does anyone know the actual SVN number for GPS IIF-11? Gunter's website seems to indicate that it is SVN 73.

http://space.skyrocket.de/doc_sdat/navstar-2f.htm
« Last Edit: 07/24/2015 02:39 am by Steven Pietrobon »
Akin's Laws of Spacecraft Design #1:  Engineering is done with numbers.  Analysis without numbers is only an opinion.

Offline vapour_nudge

• Australia
  • Liked: 266
  • Likes Given: 338
Hi Steven, this website has it listed as SVN 73: http://earth-info.nga.mil/GandG/sathtml/satinfo.html

Satellite         Freq.         
 PRN/SVN   Plane  Std #   Block   
---------+-------+-----+----------+-Scheduled-Upcoming-Launches---------------------------------
  10/73                   IIF-11   Scheduled launch: October 2015

Offline beidou

• Mars
Hi Steven, this website has it listed as SVN 73: http://earth-info.nga.mil/GandG/sathtml/satinfo.html

Satellite         Freq.         
 PRN/SVN   Plane  Std #   Block   
---------+-------+-----+----------+-Scheduled-Upcoming-Launches---------------------------------
  10/73                   IIF-11   Scheduled launch: October 2015

I have made the correction. Thank you!

Online Galactic Penguin SST

Astronomy & spaceflight geek penguin. In a relationship w/ Space Shuttle Discovery. Current Priority: Chasing the Chinese Spaceflight Wonder Egg & A Certain Chinese Mars Rover

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
  • Arc to Arcturus, then Spike to Spica
  • Sometimes it feels like Trantor in the time of Hari Seldon
  • Liked: 7405
  • Likes Given: 72501
From the ULA launch coverage of GPS IIF-10 on July 15, 2015:
Launch commentator Steve Agid interviews USAF Lt. Alain Sothikhoun, GPS Systems Directorate.

Of the two remaining IIF satellites to be launched--
One is in launch processing at the Cape, IIF-11,
One is in at the Boeing facilities in El Segundo, CA, IIF-12.
Support your local planetarium! (COVID-panic and forward: Now more than ever.) My current avatar is saying "i wants to go uppies!" Yes, there are God-given rights. Do you wish to gainsay the Declaration of Independence?

Offline beidou

• Mars

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 8562
  • Likes Given: 320
Atlas V to Launch GPS IIF-11

Atlas V GPS IIF-11 Mission ArtworkRocket/Payload: A United Launch Alliance Atlas V 401 will launch the GPS IIF-11 mission for the U.S. Air Force.

Date/Site/Launch Time: Friday, Oct. 30, 2015, from Space Launch Complex-41 at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Florida.

Mission Description: GPS satellites serve and protect our warfighters by providing navigational assistance for U.S. military operations on land, at sea, and in the air. Civilian users around the world also use and depend on GPS for highly accurate time, location, and velocity information.

GPS IIF-11 is one of the next-generation GPS satellites, incorporating various improvements to provide greater accuracy, increased signals, and enhanced performance for users.

Launch Notes: GPS IIF-11 will be the third GPS mission ULA launches in 2015: GPS IIF-9 launched on a Delta IV in March, and GPS IIF-10 launched in July. This mission will be ULA’s 11th in 2015 and 102nd since the company was founded in 2006.

Launch Updates: To keep up to speed with updates to the launch countdown, dial the ULA launch hotline at 1-877-852-4321 FREE or join the conversation at www.facebook.com/ulalaunch, twitter.com/ulalaunch and instagram.com/ulalaunch; hashtags #GPSIIF11 and #AtlasV.

Go Atlas! Go Centaur! Go GPS IIF-11!
« Last Edit: 10/11/2015 01:31 pm by jacqmans »
Jacques :-)

Offline Colodie

• Colorado Springs, CO
  • Liked: 29
Per Spaceflightnow.com, this launch (SVN-73) will replace IIR-10 (SVN 47).  Despite being 'replaced' SVN-47 will remain transmitting, it will just be in another (fairly arbitrary) spot in the E-plane.

SVN-23 (really old, but still transmitting a pretty good signal) or SVN-34 (a bit younger, but not as good of a signal) should be decommissioned to make room for SVN-73 (system architecture sets a limit of 31 healthy vehicles transmitting).

There should be a Forecast Unusable Until Further Notice (FCSTUUFN) NANU sent a week or so before launch saying which one it'll be.

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
The Atlas V booster for this flight was delivered to CCAFS via Delta Mariner just before the NROL-55 launch from Vandenberg:
http://www.floridatoday.com/story/tech/science/space/2015/10/09/atlas-booster-gps-satellite-delivered-cape-canaveral/73672762/

And, the Common Core Booster was put in place at the pad on Monday the 12th.
Support your local planetarium! (COVID-panic and forward: Now more than ever.) My current avatar is saying "i wants to go uppies!" Yes, there are God-given rights. Do you wish to gainsay the Declaration of Independence?

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 8562
  • Likes Given: 320
From L2:

Atlas V / GPS IIF-11 / CX-41 > 10/30/15, WINDOW: 1217-1235L
Jacques :-)

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
Tory Bruno tweet from earlier today:
Flight Readiness Review went well.  Looking good for GPS IIF-11.  T-10 days
https://twitter.com/torybruno

Offline sdsds

• “With peace and hope for all mankind.”
  • Seattle
  • Liked: 2050
  • Likes Given: 1962
From another thread:
according to @BoeingDefense the crew access tower at LC-41 has topped out with 7/7 tiers stacked.

So this should be quite visible during the IIF-11 launch, yes?
— 𝐬𝐝𝐒𝐝𝐬 —

Offline beidou

• Mars
On October 30, the Air Force plans to launch the eleventh satellite in the Block IIF series of modernized GPS spacecraft.  The GPS IIF satellites feature new clocks, new civil and military signals, and other upgrades for enhanced accuracy and robustness.  The Air Force has produced 12 IIF satellites and plans to launch the final IIF satellite in February of 2016. Currently, there are 31 GPS satellites in operational service, including 10 Block IIF satellites and 21 spacecraft from previous generations. 

Date/Site/Launch Time: Friday, Oct. 30, 2015, from Space Launch Complex-41 at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Florida.  18 minute launch window opens at 1623Z, 1223 EST.

Rocket/Payload: A United Launch Alliance Atlas V 401 will launch the GPS IIF-11 mission for the U.S. Air Force.

Constellation Changes:  The Air Force Second Space Operations Squadron (2 SOPS) indicates that IIF-11, SVN-73/PRN-10, will replace SVN-47 in the E plane slot E2.  SVN-34/PRN-04 will be taken out of the operational constellation prior to SVN-73 payload initialization and sent to Launch, Anomaly Resolution, and Disposal Operations (LADO).  PRN-04 is tentatively scheduled for assignment to IIF-12, launching in February of next year.  SVN-34, launched on 25 Oct 1993, has been in an auxiliary node in the D-plane and successfully served ~22 years, almost 15 years beyond its designed service life, due to the diligent efforts of the men and women of the U.S. Air Force.  SVN-47 will be re-phased from the E2 location to a newly defined E5 node (GLAN = 160°) once SVN-73 is set healthy."
V/R
Rick Hamilton
CGSIC Executive Secretariat
GPS Information Analysis Team Lead
U.S. Coast Guard Navigation Center
703-313-5930

Offline beidou

• Mars

Offline Targeteer

• near hangar 18
  • Liked: 3364
  • Likes Given: 1139
https://www.facebook.com/SpaceandMissileSystemsCenter/photos/pcb.1055481191149261/1055480531149327/?type=3&theater

The GPS IIF-11 satellite is encapsulated inside the payload fairing in preparation for its launch aboard an Atlas V from CCAFS. The launch is scheduled on Oct. 30. The 19-minute launch window opens at 12:17 EDT.

Edit:
opens at 12:17 p.m. EDT
(mod)
« Last Edit: 10/28/2015 09:31 am by input~2 »
Best quote heard during an inspection, "I was unaware that I was the only one who was aware."

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
From the ULA launch coverage of GPS IIF-10 on July 15, 2015:
Launch commentator Steve Agid interviews USAF Lt. Alain Sothikhoun, GPS Systems Directorate.

Of the two remaining IIF satellites to be launched--
One is in launch processing at the Cape, IIF-11,
One is in at the Boeing facilities in El Segundo, CA, IIF-12.

GPS IIF-11 was delivered by air transport to Florida from California on June 8.

I've learned that the GPS IIF satellite processing is not performed in the Navstar Processing Facility in Area 59.  The former DSCS Processing Facility is used.
http://www.space.com/8463-air-force-launch-gps-satellite-friday-night.html

(The first SBIRS-GEO satellite was also processed here.  I don't know about the 2nd SBIRS-GEO.)
http://www.lockheedmartin.com/us/news/press-releases/2011/march/USAirForceLockheedMartinD.html

The encapsulated satellite was placed atop the Atlas V/Centaur on October 21.

The Launch Readiness Review is October 28.

The Mobile Launch Platform rolls to the pad on October 29.

Launch day overall probability of violating weather constraints: 10%
Primary concern(s): Thick Clouds
24-hour delay overall probability of violating weather constraints 10%
Primary concern(s): Cumulus Clouds
http://www.patrick.af.mil/shared/media/document/AFD-070716-027.pdf
« Last Edit: 10/29/2015 05:05 pm by zubenelgenubi »

Offline catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8822
  • Likes Given: 7826
GPS IIF-11 Encapsulation

« Last Edit: 10/28/2015 01:49 am by catdlr »
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography