Author Topic: Space Shuttle Atlantis @ Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex  (Read 143691 times)

Offline 32s

• Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 1
Space Shuttle Atlantis @ Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex
« Reply #40 on: 07/18/2013 10:55 pm »
Pictures of Atlantis today

Offline 32s

« Reply #41 on: 07/18/2013 10:58 pm »
Atlantis

Offline 32s

« Reply #42 on: 07/18/2013 11:05 pm »
Picture of someone that couldn't keep their hands off the payload bay door on sat  >:(

Offline 32s

« Reply #43 on: 07/18/2013 11:10 pm »
SRB and ET

Offline 32s

« Reply #44 on: 07/18/2013 11:15 pm »
One more

Offline Overflow

• Space Shuttle Aficonado
  • Tampa, Florida
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #45 on: 07/18/2013 11:41 pm »
Picture of someone that couldn't keep their hands off the payload bay door on sat  >:(

You could actually touch the PLBD?

Offline Ford Mustang

• Live Coverage Editor
  • Global Moderator
  • Virginia
    • Astro95Media
  • Liked: 375
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #46 on: 07/19/2013 02:35 am »

She's quite close in the pictures, so I would guess someone determined to touch her would be able to do so with a little reach...

Offline Overflow

• Tampa, Florida
« Reply #47 on: 07/19/2013 11:31 am »

She's quite close in the pictures, so I would guess someone determined to touch her would be able to do so with a little reach...

Ugh..

Offline collectSPACE

• The Source for Space History & Artifacts
  • Houston, TX
    • collectSPACE
  • Liked: 287
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #48 on: 07/19/2013 02:14 pm »
For what it's worth, before the exhibit opened, I tried to reach out and touch Atlantis from exactly that point — before the sign was installed. It was deceptively close but still well out of reach.

When I returned after the opening, with the sign now installed, I couldn't see any way that someone could reach over and touch the orbiter.

From the photo, it looks like the person is reaching for it, but I'd be surprised if s/he made contact.
« Last Edit: 07/19/2013 05:19 pm by collectSPACE »

Offline roma847

• Be part of it
  • Germany
  • Liked: 2191
  • Likes Given: 55
« Reply #49 on: 07/19/2013 04:46 pm »
I am sure that distance will be chosen already so that nobody can touch Atlantis, it only looks like.

Regards from Germany

Manfred

Under construction:
1:144 Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6

Offline brettreds2k

• Charlotte, NC
  • Liked: 16
  • Likes Given: 42
« Reply #50 on: 07/19/2013 07:18 pm »
In those pictures it does not seem to be very crowded at all, has the crowd died down now that it has been open for a few weeks? I like the idea of lighter crowds, then its a more personal experience with Atlantis.
Brett
www.facebook.com/brett.lowenthal1

Orbiters I have visited in retirement:

[ ] Enterprise
[X] Discovery
[X] Atlantis
[ ] Endeavour

Offline yorky10

• West Yorkshire, UK
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #51 on: 07/19/2013 07:21 pm »
For what it's worth, before the exhibit opened, I tried to reach out and touch Atlantis from exactly that point — before the sign was installed. It was deceptively close but still well out of reach.

When I returned after the opening, with the sign now installed, I couldn't see any way that someone could reach over and touch the orbiter.

From the photo, it looks like the person is reaching for it, but I'd be surprised if s/he made contact.
I agree it's further than it looks. I'm more concerned about falling cameras / sunglasses etc on that left wing tip.
Launches - STS-115, STS-117, STS-123, STS-125, STS-132, STS-135, WGS3, Kepler, MSL
Endeavour Flyout From SLF
Scrubs - STS-122, STS-133

Offline Foxtrot42

• Truxton, NY
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #52 on: 07/20/2013 04:51 am »
In those pictures it does not seem to be very crowded at all, has the crowd died down now that it has been open for a few weeks? I like the idea of lighter crowds, then its a more personal experience with Atlantis.

I was there on a Thursday and I wasn't standing in line for anything longer than 5 minutes. For Atlantis, they bring people in by groups, so you have one group come in, and when they disperse, there is usually a little time before the next group. I found I had plenty of time for calm reflection with the old bird.

Offline padrat

• Payload Packer and Dragon tamer...
  • Where Dragons roam....
  • Liked: 861
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #53 on: 07/20/2013 11:22 am »
My wife said there was 10K people in the park on Friday when they were expecting 5-6K. So the crowds haven't really died down yet. Of course there was also a launch Friday as well.
But yeah, you don't really wait too long. Plus it's well worth the wait. But that's just my opinion.... ;)
If the neighbors think you're the rebel of the neighborhood, embrace it and be the rebel. It keeps them wondering what you'll do next...

Offline Overflow

• Tampa, Florida
« Reply #54 on: 07/20/2013 02:32 pm »

Good. Thank you for this information.

Offline Overflow

• Tampa, Florida
Whoa. I see we have a new thread here.

Offline meat10af

• NSF Exploration Editor
    • Marshall Murphy
  • Liked: 95
  • Likes Given: 45
I had the pleasure of spending last Friday with Atlantis. She’s my favorite orbiter, and I’m ever-thankful to have seen her launch on STS-135. Seeing her brought back memories of that last hurrah, and of her rollover to the Visitor’s Complex back in November.

Needless to say, the exhibit is gorgeous, informative and downright surreal. It’s crowded as can be, but most people seemed very respectful and I never felt like my experience was being impeded.

The museum had a staff member on hand to answer questions about the exhibit. I’m unsure if he was a STS engineer or if he is a historian of some persuasion, but he certainly knew a good deal about the orbiter and the exhibit in general.

I visited Atlantis three times over the course of the day. During my final visit, I was in the museum about thirty minutes before closing, when people had started clearing out a bit. As mentioned earlier, the crowds were all very respectful, but photo ops are usually better with fewer people around. I took the opportunity to get a photo of only me and Atlantis. It’s one I’ll cherish.
The Future is Out There!

Offline Overflow

• Tampa, Florida
Hello meat10af! You and I have a lot in common. Atlantis is also my favorite orbiter.

PS - I really like your last picture. It shows how huge Atlantis is.

Offline meat10af

• NSF Exploration Editor
    • Marshall Murphy
  • Liked: 95
  • Likes Given: 45
Hello meat10af! You and I have a lot in common. Atlantis is also my favorite orbiter.

Indeed! She's got the most interesting mix of missions, I think.

Thank you! Being within feet of her was stunning, no doubt. I felt dwarfed by her the entire time. After seeing her up close, it's hard to compare her to anything else. To call her a "machine" doesn't quite cut it. The wear all over the TPS truly gives her the appearance of being alive.

The pictures in your thread are excellent, by the way. They really capture the wonder of the exhibit start to finish. Nice job!
The Future is Out There!

Offline Overflow

• Tampa, Florida

Indeed! She's got the most interesting mix of missions, I think.

Thank you! Being within feet of her was stunning, no doubt. I felt dwarfed by her the entire time. After seeing her up close, it's hard to compare her to anything else. To call her a "machine" doesn't quite cut it. The wear all over the TPS truly gives her the appearance of being alive.

The pictures in your thread are excellent, by the way. They really capture the wonder of the exhibit start to finish. Nice job!

Thank you!

I agree that the orbiters have a persona about them.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography