Author Topic: The Crawler-Transporter thread  (Read 279901 times)

Offline ChrisC

• Veteran
  • Liked: 1561
  • Likes Given: 1749
Re: The Crawler-Transporter thread
« Reply #400 on: 03/22/2016 05:06 pm »
NSF member DaveS is screenshotting today's progress in this thread on the public side:

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=39647.0

... which was set up for commentary on this article:

http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2016/02/ct-2-completes-super-crawler-modifications-sls/
« Last Edit: 03/22/2016 05:10 pm by ChrisC »
PSA #1: EST does NOT mean "Eastern Time".  Use "Eastern" or "ET" instead, all year round, and avoid this common error.  Google "EST vs EDT".
PSA #2: It's and its: know the difference and quietly impress grammar pedants.  Google "angry flower its" .  *** See profile for two more NSF forum tips. ***

Offline sprtnsky

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #401 on: 07/20/2017 06:17 pm »
Do you still have a 3D file of the sprocket ,  I'm working on learning the 3D stuff

Offline DaveS

• Shuttle program observer
  • Sweden
  • Liked: 1199
  • Likes Given: 65
« Reply #402 on: 12/16/2017 06:19 am »
Two quick q's: What are these devices that are on top of three of the corner assemblies? And have the crawlers ever been repainted from their original battleship grey color? In some photos, the crawlers appear to have a light blue hue in addition to the battleship grey base color.
"For Sardines, space is no problem!"
-1996 Astronaut class slogan

"We're rolling in the wrong direction but for the right reasons"
-USA engineer about the rollback of Discovery prior to the STS-114 Return To Flight mission

Offline JayP

• Liked: 4
« Reply #403 on: 12/17/2017 09:26 pm »
The items in the corners are called the "Mount Positioning Mechanisms". The are basically pneumatic motors that drive a screw mechanism that pushes a clamp block in and out.

On the bottom of the ML, there are 4 mounting blocks that match up with the corners of the crawler. They are the actual load points for the entire weight of the ML. The pad on the bottom of the block sits on a larger flat pad on the top of the crawler corner casting. (the JEL cylinders mount to the same casting so the load goes straight down to the trucks. The structure of the crawler doesn't carry any of the load of the ML.) When the crawler carries the ML out of the VAB into the sun, The ML structure warms up and expands more that the crawler structure which is shaded. When that happens, the mounting blocks want to slide around on the pads on the top of the crawler. The MPMs control that. The corner with 4 MPMs is held in place while the opposite corner is allowed to move. The other 2 corners each have a single pair of MPMs that allow movement in either the lateral or longitudinal direction for that corner. The MPMs are run by air from a manually activated valve on each of the 3 corners. After the crawler is jacked up to be in contact with the blocks on the ML, a technician actuates the valve to close the MPMs for that corner.

As far as the color, the Crawlers were originally going to be a sort of mustard yellow but NASA decided the change them to a dark grey during construction. parts of them have been repainted as needed over the years and the new paint always seems to start out as a lighter grey until it gets covered with grease and road grime.

Offline Shutterbug

• NC
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #404 on: 10/07/2018 06:47 pm »
I have read over the years that in the crawlerway on the ramp or nearby, there is a theodilite that was used for guidance alignment on the Saturn V vehicles.  Are there photos or articles on this anywhere?  Just a small piece of a great big puzzle called Saturn that is little known?

Offline DaveS

• Shuttle program observer
  • Sweden
  • Liked: 1199
  • Likes Given: 65
« Reply #405 on: 07/22/2019 01:18 pm »
Does anyone have any good overview photos of the Noise Solutions Inc. sound dampening equipment on the bottom frame of the CTs? I'm also looking for photos of how the box beam on Side 2 attaches to the CT bottom frame.
"For Sardines, space is no problem!"
-1996 Astronaut class slogan

"We're rolling in the wrong direction but for the right reasons"
-USA engineer about the rollback of Discovery prior to the STS-114 Return To Flight mission

Offline HDTVGuy

• Liked: 25
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #406 on: 07/23/2019 03:10 am »
I have read over the years that in the crawlerway on the ramp or nearby, there is a theodilite that was used for guidance alignment on the Saturn V vehicles.  Are there photos or articles on this anywhere?  Just a small piece of a great big puzzle called Saturn that is little known?

I just looked this up over the weekend.  Jonathan Ward's book "Countdown to a Moon Launch" discusses the theodolite on page 341.  He discusses the theodolite generated a beam of IR light that was directed to a small window in the side of Apollo's IU.  This light was used to torque the gimbal motors in the ST-124M.   At T - 17 seconds, the platform was released and "Apollo Launch Control" announced that "guidance is internal".  I'd love to see more on this.

Offline roma847

• Be part of it
  • Germany
  • Liked: 2191
  • Likes Given: 55
« Reply #407 on: 11/11/2020 08:04 pm »
Does anyone know something about the Spinning Caution Lamps on the Crawler (number of lamps, arrangement, color) or is there a video where one can see these caution lamps in action?

When were these lamps switched on, and were they combined with a warning tone?

Did they only exist on the Apollo Crawlers or also on the Shuttle Crawlers?
Regards from Germany

Manfred

Under construction:
1:144 Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6

Offline George B

• Liked: 23
« Reply #408 on: 10/08/2022 04:55 pm »
I see this thread has been silent for some time but I'm hoping someone can help me out.

Does anyone have a better "end view" photo than this one of the Alco 251? I'm trying to model the tanks and coolant pipes but I'm unable to find photos showing that area.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Offline roma847

• Be part of it
  • Germany
« Reply #409 on: 10/08/2022 09:43 pm »
Hi George,

I don't know if you know Crawler videos like this one?

Inside the NASA Crawler Transporter - PART 1 of 3

At the beginning there you can at least see the other side for some time.

Or these Panorama views.

http://nasatech.net/CT-2/CT2ALCOEngBay2140903/

http://nasatech.net/CT-2/CT2ALCOAirStartTank140903/

Maybe this can help.

« Last Edit: 10/08/2022 09:50 pm by roma847 »
Regards from Germany

Manfred

Under construction:

Offline George B

• Liked: 23
« Reply #410 on: 10/09/2022 12:03 am »
Hi Manfred, and thanks for that info.  I was familiar with the video, it shows part of that end but still some missing areas.

The other two links don't work for me, I get a "ERROR 403 - FORBIDDEN"

Offline roma847

• Be part of it
  • Germany
« Reply #411 on: 10/09/2022 04:52 am »
Hi George,

then you still can check this video, which has some detailed Alco sequences too.

Space Shuttle Era: Crawler Transporter

Maybe I have special rights for these panorama views.

Regards from Germany

Manfred

Under construction:

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81673
  • Likes Given: 36940
« Reply #412 on: 03/29/2023 04:57 pm »
https://twitter.com/_mgde_/status/1641112791867179010

Crawler-Transporter 2, used to carry Artemis 1 to LC-39B, is now officially the heaviest self-powered vehicle in the world!

A ceremony was held this morning to mark the occasion of @GWR certifying CT2 - still kicking after 58 years of service through Apollo & Shuttle

Online DanClemmensen

• Earth (currently)
  • Liked: 4318
  • Likes Given: 1759
« Reply #413 on: 03/29/2023 05:11 pm »
Crawler-Transporter 2, used to carry Artemis 1 to LC-39B, is now officially the heaviest self-powered vehicle in the world!

A ceremony was held this morning to mark the occasion of @GWR certifying CT2 - still kicking after 58 years of service through Apollo & Shuttle
It's an impressive vehicle, but it's not the "heaviest self-powered vehicle in the world". For example, the USS IOWA was about 49,000 tons. It may not even be the heaviest land vehicle if you count the full weight of a train.

Offline Lee Jay

• Elite Veteran
  • Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3603
  • Likes Given: 327
« Reply #414 on: 03/29/2023 05:21 pm »

It's an impressive vehicle, but it's not the "heaviest self-powered vehicle in the world". For example, the USS IOWA was about 49,000 tons. It may not even be the heaviest land vehicle if you count the full weight of a train.

I think they meant self-powered land vehicle.  I thought that was Bagger 293 at 14,200 tons but I could be way off.

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4672
  • Likes Given: 768
« Reply #415 on: 03/29/2023 05:41 pm »

I think they meant self-powered land vehicle.  I thought that was Bagger 293 at 14,200 tons but I could be way off.
There are multiple categories.

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81673
  • Likes Given: 36940
« Reply #416 on: 03/29/2023 07:18 pm »
https://twitter.com/nasagroundsys/status/1641156440525008896

It’s official: the crawler is amazing! 🏆

Today, the CT-2 was presented with a Guinness World Records certificate for being the heaviest self-powered vehicle on Earth. At 6.6 million lbs - and with the ability to transport 18 million lbs - this machine is a mechanical marvel!

Offline Lee Jay

• Elite Veteran
  • Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3603
  • Likes Given: 327
« Reply #417 on: 03/29/2023 07:53 pm »
3,300 tons.

The heaviest self-powered vehicle on Earth is one of the big ships.  I know at least one is over 900,000 tons displacement.

Offline Hog

• Woodstock
  • Liked: 1700
  • Likes Given: 6866
« Reply #418 on: 03/30/2023 02:17 am »
3,300 tons.

The heaviest self-powered vehicle on Earth is one of the big ships.  I know at least one is over 900,000 tons displacement.
Is a ship a vehicle?
Paul

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4672
  • Likes Given: 768
« Reply #419 on: 03/30/2023 02:32 am »
3,300 tons.

Is a ship a vehicle?
IMHO, no it is a vessel where as a vehicle by definition has to be able to operate on land using wheels, tracks or skids. An all terrain vehicle by definition has to be able to at least part of the time operate on land using wheels, tracks or skids. If ships were classed a vehicle then like planes would not need a separate register.
« Last Edit: 03/30/2023 02:33 am by russianhalo117 »

Tags: CT 

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography