Author Topic: Threats from Space: Efforts to Track and Mitigate Asteroids and Meteors I & II  (Read 16524 times)

Offline yg1968

• Liked: 7123
  • Likes Given: 3065

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran
  • Liked: 7829
  • Likes Given: 2
As mentioned by Blackstar, part 2 will be on April 10th at 2 pm:

http://science.house.gov/hearing/full-committee-hearing-threats-space-review-non-us-government-efforts-track-and-mitigate

Full Committee Hearing - Threats from Space: A Review of Non-U.S. Government Efforts to Track and Mitigate Asteroids and Meteors, Part II
2318 Rayburn House Office Building Washington, DC 20515 | Apr 10, 2013 2:00pm

Witnesses
Dr. Ed Lu, Chairman & CEO, B612 Foundation

Dr. Donald K. Yeomans, Manager, Near-Earth Objects Program Office, Jet Propulsion Laboratory

Dr. Michael F. A’Hearn, Vice-Chair, Committee to Review Near-Earth Object Surveys and Hazard Mitigation Strategies, National Resource Council

I'm bummed that once again one of these things is happening and I'm unable to attend (there's an old saying that time is nature's way of making sure that everything doesn't happen at once, but that's a lie).

I worked with Mike. He was the PI on Deep Impact, and he's the only person who has actually used a kinetic impactor to smack a primitive body. Part of his testimony will be about the NRC study's findings on what kind of capabilities you can get for what kind of investment. Others will discuss the limitations and capabilities of different kinds of survey systems.

Offline yg1968

• Liked: 7123
  • Likes Given: 3065
« Last Edit: 04/12/2013 12:26 am by yg1968 »

Offline Proponent

• Liked: 2782
  • Likes Given: 1462
I used to be able to convert streams like this to MP3s with the VLC media player, but that no longer seems to work.  Does anybody know how to make a copy that I can listen to off line?

Offline JohnFornaro

• Not an expert
  • Delta-t is an important metric.
  • Planet Eaarth
    • Design / Program Associates
  • Liked: 1257
  • Likes Given: 724
...he's the only person who has actually used a kinetic impactor to smack a primitive body.

What's he know?  I stepped on a rake once, and it smacked me in the forhead.
Sometimes I just flat out don't get it.

Offline mlindner

• Software Engineer
  • Space Capitalist
  • Silicon Valley, CA
  • Liked: 2204
  • Likes Given: 818
I used to be able to convert streams like this to MP3s with the VLC media player, but that no longer seems to work.  Does anybody know how to make a copy that I can listen to off line?

Ripping a copy right now. Will edit this post to add attachments in WMV file format for video and WMA file format for audio.

Edit: Apparently unable to. I have the ripped video but can't get the audio. More so the file size is too large to upload to most online sites.
« Last Edit: 04/12/2013 05:47 pm by mlindner »
LEO is the ocean, not an island (let alone a continent). We create cruise liners to ride the oceans, not artificial islands in the middle of them. We need a physical place, which has physical resources, to make our future out there.

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran
Part II of the hearing on the thread from asteroids and meteors is now archived here:

There was apparently a point where a congressman asked all three presenters about the asteroid retrieval mission, got succinct answers, and then yielded his time back to the chair. The comments are probably worth repeating here.

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25241
  • Likes Given: 12115
Part II of the hearing on the thread from asteroids and meteors is now archived here:

There was apparently a point where a congressman asked all three presenters about the asteroid retrieval mission, got succinct answers, and then yielded his time back to the chair. The comments are probably worth repeating here.
Can you give a sentence or two summary?
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran

Rough summary:

Q: Did you have any input into the development and selection of this mission?

A: No.

(Apparently all three of them were asked the same question and answered the same way.)

Offline JohnFornaro

• Not an expert
  • Delta-t is an important metric.
  • Planet Eaarth
    • Design / Program Associates
  • Liked: 1257
  • Likes Given: 724

Rough summary:

Q: Did you have any input into the development and selection of this mission?

A: No.

(Apparently all three of them were asked the same question and answered the same way.)

Thanks for askin'. Thanks for summarizin'.
Sometimes I just flat out don't get it.

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran

Comes at about 1 hour into the hearing. It's not as clear cut as somebody explained to me.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography