Author Topic: New NSF Feedback Thread  (Read 375346 times)

Offline Hog

• Woodstock
  • Liked: 1700
  • Likes Given: 6866
Re: New NSF Feedback Thread
« Reply #360 on: 01/21/2015 01:03 pm »
I just  received a personal email from a new member. This gentleman was asking me about the time formatting of NSF.com.

I live in the Eastern Time zone, which should be GMT/UTC -5 hours, he lives in the Pacific Time zone which should be GMT/UTC -8 hours.  If I select GMT/UTC-5 hours my post timer is 1 hour too earl, if I use auto select for the GMT/UTC-4hours, my post timing is correct.

In order to have my times correctly correlate with GMT/UTC times, the auto-detect function selects -4 hours relative to UTC/GMT.

I was curious as why this was?  Does it have something to do with the North American/European and former Asian daylight savings time usage?

TIA
Paul

Offline Ohsin

• Liked: 1453
  • Likes Given: 2379
« Reply #361 on: 01/21/2015 01:24 pm »
Can the 'Simple Search within topic' feature be enabled it would be extremely useful. I checked on SMF

The simple search field located at the top of the default SMF theme will, when viewing topics, filter search results to just that topic. The same applies to boards as well - when viewing a board the simple search field will filter the search to just results in that particular board.

Not wanting to mess too much with the current theme (awaiting new forum version + new templates), How's this ? (see top of page on forum index & topic display pages)

Mark

That will do just fine :) Thanks! It is a bit invisible but it'll do wonders in preventing threads regurgitating/recycling themselves.
"Well, three cheers to Sharma, but our real baby is INSAT."

Offline MP99

« Reply #362 on: 01/21/2015 01:35 pm »

I just  received a personal email from a new member. This gentleman was asking me about the time formatting of NSF.com.

I live in the Eastern Time zone, which should be GMT/UTC -5 hours, he lives in the Pacific Time zone which should be GMT/UTC -8 hours.  If I select GMT/UTC-5 hours my post timer is 1 hour too earl, if I use auto select for the GMT/UTC-4hours, my post timing is correct.

In order to have my times correctly correlate with GMT/UTC times, the auto-detect function selects -4 hours relative to UTC/GMT.

I was curious as why this was?  Does it have something to do with the North American/European and former Asian daylight savings time usage?

TIA

Unfortunately, you have to go into your profile and change this manually every time your locale goes into or out of Summer Time / Daylight Saving Time.

It doesn't take much to do, but I never remember until I see unexpected times.

Cheers, Martin

Cheers, Martin

Offline Hog

• Woodstock
  • Liked: 1700
  • Likes Given: 6866
« Reply #363 on: 01/21/2015 07:11 pm »

TIA

Unfortunately, you have to go into your profile and change this manually every time your locale goes into or out of Summer Time / Daylight Saving Time.

It doesn't take much to do, but I never remember until I see unexpected times.

Cheers, Martin

Cheers, Martin
Thanks Martin.

Adjusting "Time Offsets"
1) Click on Profile 
2) Then mouse over to the left of the screen where it says Profile Info, with "Modify Profile" to the right of it. 
3)Click on "Modify Profile".
4)Then mouse down to "Look and Layout" and make your adjustments
5) Be sure to save your adjustments down on the lower right corner of that page.

I live in the Eastern Time Zone  UTC -4 hours during Daylight Savings Time, UTC -5 hours Standard Time:

Since we are in January right now, I am experiencing Eastern Standard Time(EST) and should be GMT -5 hours. In March, the clocks go forward by 1 hour resulting in Eastern Daylight Time(EDT) or GMT-4 hours.
When I make a post with the correct GMT-5 hours, the post time shown is one hour earlier.  If I switch my profile Time offset to the incorrect(for this time in January) GMT-4 hours, my post times shown under the "Last Post by Hog in Re" Thread title..." on Today at 12:00am", are correct.
« Last Edit: 01/21/2015 08:03 pm by Hog »
Paul

Offline mtakala24

« Reply #364 on: 01/24/2015 12:43 am »
Now that the forum's Calendar function is looking active....

I would like GMT times for the NASA TV briefings too. I see the (only some?) launch times are reported in GMT(/UTC) - they should all be reported in GMT too.

Edit: what I meant to say is: agree on a consistent time format and stick to it.
« Last Edit: 01/24/2015 01:36 am by mtakala24 »

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81617
  • Likes Given: 36928
« Reply #365 on: 01/25/2015 06:49 am »
The likes (displayed below each post) are currently disabled for that reason. The like/unlike function continues to work, only the display below each post is not shown right now. Expect them to be back later this week.

Any more news on this? Thanks

Offline sghill

• United States
  • Liked: 2092
  • Likes Given: 3200
« Reply #366 on: 01/28/2015 02:44 pm »
I don't see number of 'likes' by other people anymore it was few hours earlier. 'Like/Unlike' button functions though.
+1  :-\ 

Correct, we were seeing some performance issues lately and we are in the process of solving them. The likes (displayed below each post) are currently disabled for that reason. The like/unlike function continues to work, only the display below each post is not shown right now. Expect them to be back later this week.

Mark

PS They might show up from time to time, while we tweak the software.

Sure would like to get this functionality back! :)
Bring the thunder!

Offline Lee Jay

• Elite Veteran
  • Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3603
  • Likes Given: 327
« Reply #367 on: 01/28/2015 06:06 pm »
Is there a link somewhere to this location, that I've missed?

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?action=unreadreplies

If not, could we get one?

Offline llanitedave

• Nevada Desert
  • Liked: 1545
  • Likes Given: 2052
« Reply #368 on: 01/31/2015 04:25 am »
I don't see number of 'likes' by other people anymore it was few hours earlier. 'Like/Unlike' button functions though.

Correct, we were seeing some performance issues lately and we are in the process of solving them. The likes (displayed below each post) are currently disabled for that reason. The like/unlike function continues to work, only the display below each post is not shown right now. Expect them to be back later this week.

Mark

Sure would like to get this functionality back! :)

Sure would.  I'd really like for certain people to know what I like when I like it.  Like, you know?
"I've just abducted an alien -- now what?"

Offline deruch

• California
  • Liked: 2006
  • Likes Given: 5634
« Reply #369 on: 01/31/2015 05:25 am »
I'm a bit embarrassed to have to ask, but I can't find the info anywhere on the site.  What do the little yellow squares under the user names mean?  Specifically, why do some users have more/less than others?  I know moderators have like 5 green ones and Admins have red ones.
Shouldn't reality posts be in "Advanced concepts"?  --Nomadd

Offline manboy

• Texas, USA, Earth
  • Liked: 134
  • Likes Given: 544
« Reply #370 on: 01/31/2015 07:23 am »

Mark

Ok cool, I know I was initially against "likes" but they've made it easier to skim through threads for important info.
"Cheese has been sent into space before. But the same cheese has never been sent into space twice." - StephenB

Offline MP99

« Reply #371 on: 01/31/2015 08:12 am »

I'm a bit embarrassed to have to ask, but I can't find the info anywhere on the site.  What do the little yellow squares under the user names mean?  Specifically, why do some users have more/less than others?  I know moderators have like 5 green ones and Admins have red ones.

The number of squares relates to number of posts.

Cheers, Martin

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #372 on: 01/31/2015 12:23 pm »
I'm surprised by how much I miss post likes too (obviously they are still being registered, but just not displaying - on purpose). I think Mark wants to test the new server set up, with guests on, during the next SpaceX launch to see how far we can throttle things up, then bring back the like element of the posts.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #373 on: 02/05/2015 11:20 pm »
News site is having some issues. Forum, L2 etc are all fine, and the servers look fine. Likely a problem with Wordpress CMS, but we're aware of it.
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #374 on: 02/06/2015 12:02 am »
And it seems fine now, without any action at our end (Mark's asleep), so clearly something temp that fixed itself (which is clever). Anyhoo, we'll get to the bottom of that regardless.

Offline mheney

• The Next Man on the Moon
  • Global Moderator
  • Silver Spring, MD
  • Liked: 398
  • Likes Given: 199
« Reply #375 on: 02/06/2015 03:17 pm »
There was a zero-day Wordpress exploit announced yesterday (see http://www.zdnet.com/article/thousands-of-wordpress-sites-hit-by-zero-day-exploit/ - issues may have been the hostign service responding to / patching the problem.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #376 on: 02/06/2015 04:50 pm »
There was a zero-day Wordpress exploit announced yesterday (see http://www.zdnet.com/article/thousands-of-wordpress-sites-hit-by-zero-day-exploit/ - issues may have been the hostign service responding to / patching the problem.

Good find. I don't think we use the Fancybox plugin, but if WP were patching the entire system then that was probably the reason for the short lack of connectivity to the news site and why it came back by itself.

All seems well since, so that's good :)
« Last Edit: 02/06/2015 04:50 pm by Chris Bergin »

Offline NSF Webmaster

• Administrator
  • Almere, The Netherlands
    • NASASpaceFlight.com
  • Liked: 219
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #377 on: 02/09/2015 08:20 pm »
Hi all,

I just implemented some tweaks to speed up the attachment loading (especially during launch times). Can you please let me know if you encounter anything out of the ordinary (non/faulty images displaying in a thread for example).

Thanks,
Mark

PS I haven't forgotten about the Likes, stay tuned :)
« Last Edit: 02/09/2015 08:21 pm by NSF Webmaster »

Offline pagheca

• Bayesian Pundit. Maybe.
  • Lives in Ivory, Tower
  • Liked: 220
  • Likes Given: 161
« Reply #378 on: 02/11/2015 03:27 pm »
I usually access the forum by scrolling the "View the most recent posts on the forum." list. I guess I'm not alone in doing that.

I wonder if it wouldn't be better putting "Forum Stats" (and maybe also "Upcoming Calendar") over the top rather than on the bottom of the forum webpage, so one just open the page and click.

p.s. marginal issue: some of the frames at http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?action=stats are repeated twice.
« Last Edit: 02/11/2015 06:00 pm by pagheca »

Offline NSF Webmaster

• Administrator
  • Almere, The Netherlands
    • NASASpaceFlight.com
  • Liked: 219
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #379 on: 02/11/2015 06:10 pm »
To keep improving the NSF experience I just finished the switch to a new search engine for this forum. Performance should be much better while removing some of the heavier queries on the database. Please let me know if you encounter issues.

I wonder if it wouldn't be better putting "Forum Stats" (and maybe also "Upcoming Calendar") over the top rather than on the bottom of the forum webpage, so one just open the page and click.

We might think about that if that's what ' everyone wants'  .. please reply in here if you think this is a good/bad idea.

Mark

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography