Author Topic: Air Force Plans to invest in Next Generation Launch Vehicles  (Read 6974 times)

Offline Ronsmytheiii

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1879
  • Likes Given: 1023
This is separate from the Air Force RD-180 engine replacement program, the DoD plans to invest $1.2 Billion over five years:

Using a shared-investment approach, the Defense Department “intends to pursue a strategy to competitively invest in two or more domestic launch providers’ development of new launch systems or upgrades to existing systems,” the budget request said.

http://spacenews.com/white-house-requests-1-2-billion-for-new-rocket-in-air-force-budget/

Seems like the Air Force version of CCDev for new Launch vehicle technologies.

Offline clongton

• Expert
  • Connecticut
    • Direct Launcher
  • Liked: 7347
  • Likes Given: 3749
Increasing the numbers of domestic launch providers is a good thing. The only limiting factor is the market growth. That will determine the highest number of such launch service companies because a profitable business case is mandatory for survival.
Chuck - DIRECT co-founder
I started my career on the Saturn-V F-1A engine

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 4548
  • Likes Given: 13523
So are we going back to the 60's with an all DoD launch system? Sounds pretty non-commercial to me...
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3974
  • Likes Given: 220
Be nice if they backed some more of the less mainstream options out there. Perhaps something more will come out of the XS-1 project.

Offline HMXHMX

• Liked: 2211
  • Likes Given: 662
Be nice if they backed some more of the less mainstream options out there. Perhaps something more will come out of the XS-1 project.

My experience is that USAF space guys hate DARPA messing about with space launch.  XS-1 is a DARPA project, so it's unlikely USAF will ever support it.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography